• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Making America Weak Again

Is America's standing in the world worse now than it was under Obama?

• Yes

Votes: 35 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • About the same

Votes: 6 14.3%

• Total voters

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Recently, Senator John McCain told The Guardian that America’s standing in the world was stronger under former President Barack Obama than under Donald Trump. This is especially damning criticism not only because it comes from a member of Trump's own party, but because it implies that Trump has done serious damage to America's standing after only a few months in office.

So, I'm wondering: Do you agree or disagree with Senator McCain? Why or why not?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Recently, Senator John McCain told The Guardian that America’s standing in the world was stronger under former President Barack Obama than under Donald Trump. This is especially damning criticism not only because it comes from a member of Trump's own party, but because it implies that Trump has done serious damage to America's standing after only a few months in office.

So, I'm wondering: Do you agree or disagree with Senator McCain? Why or why not?

I agree. It's worth noting that there is an element of 'perception is reality' in that view.

It's hard to be seen as the world's most stable power when your President is seen as an over-compensating wild card.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Through the years McCain has proven himself somewhat nebulous and delusional. I think he's about ready for the Old Jet Fighter's Home. Of course we are perceived as stronger. For example, China seems to be taking the lead on containing that NK maniac. I believe that China has no doubt that The Donald will do what's necessary to protect our interests and the interests of our allies in the area. This is a far cry from the previous Kumbaya administration.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Through the years McCain has proven himself somewhat nebulous and delusional. I think he's about ready for the Old Jet Fighter's Home.
Maybe you're only saying that so we won't suspect that you are him?

Of course we are perceived as stronger. For example, China seems to be taking the lead on containing that NK maniac. I believe that China has no doubt that The Donald will do what's necessary to protect our interests and the interests of our allies in the area. This is a far cry from the previous Kumbaya administration.
I think nukes are dangerous, and perhaps they should be controlled by the Federal Reserve instead of the military.

Underhill

It depends on your measuring stick. If strength means 'is the world scared of us'? By all means, Trump has foreign leaders peeing their nickers. If strength means strengthening relationships with foreign countries then we have fallen off a cliff with Trump.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I agree. It's worth noting that there is an element of 'perception is reality' in that view.

It's hard to be seen as the world's most stable power when your President is seen as an over-compensating wild card.
And when was the US ever seen as particularly stable?
The Trump administration seems to be actively engaged in undoing the accomplishments of the previous administration, and the president himself seems impulsive, poorly informed and mercurial.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member

I would agree because his trips abroad have not gone well. He has alienated world leaders. I hope that this can be fixed over the course of time.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I withhold judgment until the ultimate effects are seen. The purported perception of other countries was better under Obama, but I'm not sure whether that actually translated into anything useful or beneficial for your average American.

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
I'm not sure McCain has all his marbles, but he's obviously right about this one, considering the relative unity and absolutely better rapport with the military and intelligence services that the Obama administration enjoyed.

Altfish

Veteran Member
I can assure you that in the UK, Trump and his government are seen as a complete joke. We can't believe the US elected him, even my conservative friends are amazed.
The 'postponement' of his UK visit was met with laughter, "Snowflake" was used more than once.

If Obama was to arrive in the UK (as he has done in the past) adoring crowds would come to see him. Trump will be met by mass protests.

Altfish

Veteran Member
I withhold judgment until the ultimate effects are seen. The purported perception of other countries was better under Obama, but I'm not sure whether that actually translated into anything useful or beneficial for your average American.
I know two couples who have cancelled US holidays because of Trump and his Muslim ban in particular.

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
I know two couples who have cancelled US holidays because of Trump and his Muslim ban in particular.
I was just reading an article about the monetary cost of SB 1070, a bill passed in the American state of Arizona that introduced draconian anti-immigration policies in that state; it's thought that they lost 2% of their GDP in lost business and tourism in the boycott that followed, as well as losing millions to the legal suits that ensued. They'll be hurt again by this threatened ban, along with the other tourism and business centers of the nation.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
We can't believe the US elected him,
Well, that's kind of the thing; we didn't. This year it became quite evident that being elected and winning the presidency are two different things. As the DNC so poignantly put it, "they've got the winner in mind, and they're going to instate them regardless of votes" (paraphrased).

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I don't care about America's standing in the world. About time a President addressed his standing with his own people.

It's too early yet anyways to see how America will get greater or weaker with Trump. We should have a better picture during the midterms.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
On the federal level, the United States has gone from having respectable leadership on energy and environmental issues to earning an "F" grade on it. I'd call that loosing standing amongst other nations. Another nail was put in that particular coffin with the recent (and unfortunately predictable) decision to not honor climate change agreements. On the plus side, other levels of government in the U.S. have been picking up the slack left at the federal level and continuing with programs in spite of the lack of upper level leadership. Whether or not other nations recognize this I'm not sure.

More generally, whenever you have a political leader whose policies speak of isolationism and xenophobia, that nation is going to loose standing in the world. It runs counter to facilitating cooperation amongst nations, which is a big thing now in our globalized societies. Taking the self-serving approach in the current scene just sends a bad message that the U.S. is not willing to be a team player in the global arena.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
If anyone hear actually listens to some of our foreign correspondents and former ambassadors, they should well know that most countries in the world think we're nuts for electing Trump. Any concept that Trump is improving relations with most countries is simply delusional thinking, and recent elections are showing a backlash against our insanity.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Through the years McCain has proven himself somewhat nebulous and delusional. I think he's about ready for the Old Jet Fighter's Home. Of course we are perceived as stronger. For example, China seems to be taking the lead on containing that NK maniac. I believe that China has no doubt that The Donald will do what's necessary to protect our interests and the interests of our allies in the area. This is a far cry from the previous Kumbaya administration.
There's a common piece of advice in poker: you can't bluff a clueless rookie into folding, because he doesn't know when he has a bad hand.

I see the world's leaders as taking that sort of approach to Trump: he's greedy but clueless and that makes him dangerous, so just stay clear of him so that you don't become collateral damage as he self-destructs.

The threat that Trump represents to the world isn't like that of an expert samurai; it's the threat of a newbie who doesn't kniw how to wield a sword safely.