• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Making America Weak Again

Is America's standing in the world worse now than it was under Obama?

• Yes

Votes: 35 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • About the same

Votes: 6 14.3%

• Total voters

Eliab ben Benjamin

Premium Member
I'm not American so seeing this from outside, maybe thats a good thing, not hoodwinked by the trump propaganda machine

Under Obama America was beginning to earn some respect lost by Bush. There are several most hated country sites on the www, as an average of these sites Bush managed to drive the usa down too second most hated after israel. Obama's administration had the effect of lifting it from the floor to between 7th and 10th from the worst (i even say one that placed it way up at 40 something from bottom). Tump has dropped it right back, and more, it is now, in the majority of those sites number 1 on the most hated country lists.

When he pulled out of the paris accord he lost what little respect he had politically so now, some international decisions are made without American input.

From the general, guy in the street, point of view america is seen as trump and trump is seen ad a laughing stock.

I believe trump has reduced the standing of America considerably

That said, I'm british and following the recent election fiasco i guess thec world is laughing at us too.

Ditto most as that, sadly here in the world outside USA influence your new Trumped up president is seen as a clown blowing his own trumpet .

tytlyf

Not Religious
I think you haters have sorely miscalculated why and how Trump was elected. Granted, he would not be my first choice if there were another viable candidate (for reasons I will not discuss here), but most of the people that voted for Donald could not give a fat rat's derriere about what the rest of the world thinks of us. We needed American jobs and American investments and you are seeing that from this administration. Instead of American being great we watched the last administration try to drag us down to the lowest common denominator when it came to other countries. We had had enough. Say what you will, believe what you want, but many of us are happy that our President has not bowed to a single world leader.
Ya, but that's what GOP media says all day long. That's not your opinion. You'll notice they just say things without giving examples. Trump was elected due to propaganda and disinformation. That much is obvious.
Most conservatives don't care about anyone but the US. They probably think everyone are commies. But that's the power of propaganda. Decades worth of mental conditioning.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
And when was the US ever seen as particularly stable?
The Trump administration seems to be actively engaged in undoing the accomplishments of the previous administration, and the president himself seems impulsive, poorly informed and mercurial.

Meh...I'm Australian, so here at least the US replaced Britain in WW2 as the power we've hitched our security wagon to.

The US wasn't always liked by the common man, it varied over time, but I think they were viewed as very politically stable. Less so these days.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I think you haters have sorely miscalculated why and how Trump was elected. Granted, he would not be my first choice if there were another viable candidate (for reasons I will not discuss here), but most of the people that voted for Donald could not give a fat rat's derriere about what the rest of the world thinks of us. We needed American jobs and American investments and you are seeing that from this administration. Instead of American being great we watched the last administration try to drag us down to the lowest common denominator when it came to other countries. We had had enough. Say what you will, believe what you want, but many of us are happy that our President has not bowed to a single world leader.

Whether that is true or not, the OP was about how the rest of the world view things.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, about half of the US elected him, anyway. I hope the UK and the rest of the world understand that the US is deeply culturally/socially/politically polarized and divided.

I think that's better understood here than at any previous point of my lifetime. Maybe since Vietnam?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Trump's election was an emotional middle finger, by an embittered demographic, to a political system it felt abandoned by. It was not a rational decision.
5 Reasons Why Trump Will Win

What does the 'lowest common denominator' mean, what would 'greatness, be, and what do you mean by bowing down to world leaders?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Recently, Senator John McCain told The Guardian that America’s standing in the world was stronger under former President Barack Obama than under Donald Trump. This is especially damning criticism not only because it comes from a member of Trump's own party, but because it implies that Trump has done serious damage to America's standing after only a few months in office.

So, I'm wondering: Do you agree or disagree with Senator McCain? Why or why not?

I voted that our standing is about the same. I seriously doubt America's standing in the world could deteriorate that much in such a short period of time, regardless of who is President. It's still America, after all. If someone says they hate America now because of Trump, they probably always hated America. Even people from Europe, even if they're technically our allies, I've always sensed a somewhat cynical and supercilious attitude towards America overall.

Not that it matters that much to me personally, but when someone like McCain talks about America's "standing in the world" becoming weaker now under Trump, then I have to take it with a grain of salt.

McCain is an avowed interventionist and militarist, and he and his ilk have done more to damage America's standing in the world than Trump possibly could have done in his few months in office. US military adventurism (of the kind supported by McCain) has ruined our standing in the world more than any other single factor.

Last edited:

SabahTheLoner

Master of the Art of Couch Potato Cuddles
Recently, Senator John McCain told The Guardian that America’s standing in the world was stronger under former President Barack Obama than under Donald Trump. This is especially damning criticism not only because it comes from a member of Trump's own party, but because it implies that Trump has done serious damage to America's standing after only a few months in office.

So, I'm wondering: Do you agree or disagree with Senator McCain? Why or why not?

I completely agree because Trump is a lazy bigot who makes money off other bigots to the despair of the rational and the reasonable. He doesn't care about fairness and his sense of ego is unhealthy. Putting Trump in office is like putting a toddler behind the wheel of a truck while it is thunder-storming and the gas is on max. It would be amazing if the US gets out with minimal damage. Key word: minimal.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Trump's election was an emotional middle finger, by an embittered demographic, to a political system it felt abandoned by. It was not a rational decision.
5 Reasons Why Trump Will Win

What does the 'lowest common denominator' mean, what would 'greatness, be, and what do you mean by bowing down to world leaders?

Obama was the first to deny American Exceptionalism. I, for one, am proud of the achievements and liberties found in this country that are unimaginable in many other countries. As for the bowing, check the video tape of Obama meeting the king of Saudi Arabia for the first time. Totally disgusting, IMHO. Compare that with Melania Trump defiantly refusing to wear a head covering in other Mideastern countries; you go, girl.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I, for one, am proud of the achievements and liberties found in this country that are unimaginable in many other countries.
What opportunities?

I like the United States very much. I visit it often and have many American friends, but I don't think its opportunities are any better than most western countries.

And this isn't just academic for me. As an engineer, NAFTA rules allow me to work in the US fairly easily and I've looked at job possibilities in the US. None were as good as what was available in Canada, and the American cities where the jobs in my field were available had generally poorer quality of life than what I could have in Canada.

You've got cheaper airline flights and cell phone service than Canada, but the same is true for Europe.

So what do you think warrants American exceptionalism? Yes, your country is special and unique in some ways, but so is every country.

Edit: is it your high rate of childhood mortality? Your high numbers of firearm deaths? Those aspects of the US are exceptional... though not in a good way.

Underhill

Obama was the first to deny American Exceptionalism. I, for one, am proud of the achievements and liberties found in this country that are unimaginable in many other countries. As for the bowing, check the video tape of Obama meeting the king of Saudi Arabia for the first time. Totally disgusting, IMHO. Compare that with Melania Trump defiantly refusing to wear a head covering in other Mideastern countries; you go, girl.

Uh, Trump did exactly the same thing...

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Obama was the first to deny American Exceptionalism. I, for one, am proud of the achievements and liberties found in this country that are unimaginable in many other countries.

" My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." -Carl Schurz (2 March 182914 May 1906), a German revolutionist, American statesman and reformer, and Union Army general in the American Civil War.

America is great, but that doesn't mean it's perfect. And if we want it to continue being great, then we can't pretend the imperfections don't exist. How else can we fix them if we don't acknowledge them?

And it's laughable to think that Obama was the first person ever to think such a thing.

As for the bowing, check the video tape of Obama meeting the king of Saudi Arabia for the first time. Totally disgusting, IMHO.
Oh no! Our President knew the cultural norms of other countries! I'm not sure what is disgusting about treating the leaders of other nation's with respect. Bowing in other countries is the same thing as a handshake.

Or, we can just accept Saudi medals and make $110 billion dollar arms deals like Trump. Totally not disgusting, that.

Compare that with Melania Trump defiantly refusing to wear a head covering in other Mideastern countries; you go, girl.
Yay! Melania did the exact same thing every other First Lady has done since Barbara Bush! And, coincidentally, did something that Trump criticized Michelle Obama of in 2015:

"Many people are saying it was wonderful that Mrs. Obama refused to wear a scarf in Saudi Arabia, but they were insulted. We have enuf enemies." - Donald J. Trump, hypocrite.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Compare that with Melania Trump defiantly refusing to wear a head covering in other Mideastern countries; you go, girl.

What did you think of Melania and her daughter covering up when they met the Pope? I thought their hypocrisy in covering up when meeting the Pope, but not the King of Saudi Arabia, downright touching. It gave me all sorts of warm and fuzzy feelings about such hypocrites representing my country.

esmith

Veteran Member
What did you think of Melania and her daughter covering up when they met the Pope? I thought their hypocrisy in covering up when meeting the Pope, but not the King of Saudi Arabia, downright touching. It gave me all sorts of warm and fuzzy feelings about such hypocrites representing my country.
You do realize that Melania identifies herself as a Catholic don't you? You do realize that Catholic women wear a veil in church don't you. You do realize that Melania is not a Muslim don't you?
From your post it appears you may be slightly confused.

tytlyf

Not Religious
You do realize that Melania identifies herself as a Catholic don't you? You do realize that Catholic women wear a veil in church don't you. You do realize that Melania is not a Muslim don't you?
From your post it appears you may be slightly confused.
Careful, most conservatives hate catholics. To them, catholics aren't 'true' christians. Even though the catholic church is the first church of christianity.
Isn't melania russian? Uhoh!

esmith

Veteran Member
Careful, most conservatives hate catholics. To them, catholics aren't 'true' christians. Even though the catholic church is the first church of christianity.
Isn't melania russian? Uhoh!

I realize that you seem to have a poor understanding of the written English language, but one would think that one would take extra time to insure that it isn't so blatant.

Now, what does your above comment have to do with what I said. Oh I forgot you don't need an excuse, you are an excuse.