• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Man made religion

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I am man
You are man
We are all men

What do you mean by man-made religion and influence?

Are you not part of this influence?

What does it mean, as a man, for you not to follow man-made religion?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I am man
You are man
We are all men

For me I suppose it means to rely more on science than personal conviction.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I am man
You are man
We are all men

Far as I can gauge, it seems to be a claim that there is a "pure, superior" doctrine that presumably comes "unadultered from God" and should be chosen over "man-made" religion.

Personally, I think that misguided in several different ways.

Phantasman

I am man
You are man
We are all men

Where the temple (of the Father) is. You are the temple the Spirit is in. Not a group, that goes to a temple to hear the Spirit.

(3) Jesus said, "If those who lead you say to you, 'See, the kingdom is in the sky,' then the birds of the sky will precede you. If they say to you, 'It is in the sea,' then the fish will precede you. Rather, the kingdom is inside of you, and it is outside of you. When you come to know yourselves, then you will become known, and you will realize that it is you who are the sons of the living father. But if you will not know yourselves, you dwell in poverty and it is you who are that poverty."- Gospel of Thomas

How does one know themselves by listening to another man?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Where the temple (of the Father) is. You are the temple the Spirit is in. Not a group, that goes to a temple to hear the Spirit.

(3) Jesus said, "If those who lead you say to you, 'See, the kingdom is in the sky,' then the birds of the sky will precede you. If they say to you, 'It is in the sea,' then the fish will precede you. Rather, the kingdom is inside of you, and it is outside of you. When you come to know yourselves, then you will become known, and you will realize that it is you who are the sons of the living father. But if you will not know yourselves, you dwell in poverty and it is you who are that poverty."- Gospel of Thomas

How does one know themselves by listening to another man?

If christians are defined by their temple in spirit, when they come together, what do you mean they are guided by man? But individually, they are not?

Who is man (say christian) apart from god?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Faith is God's free gift of self to man. There is a sense of awe and wonderment that man expresses through religion.

Now I get that. When you (all) express "but that's 'of man'" what do you mean by that when directed towards a set of christians the other set doesn't agree with in regards to their salvation?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

A system founded by men, and principally (or solely) governed by men. Women and intersex individuals are excluded or marginalized from holding any power or influence.

See above; non-males are not allowed to have any significant influence in a man-made religion. Granted, given roughly 50% of the human population is non-male, it's rather impossible to avoid indirect influence. But if you aren't male, your power is quite limited and often actively opposed or derailed.

The question is, unfortunately, not applicable. As a human, not following a man-made religion means not having to deal with or reconcile a cartload to a truckload of sexist BS.

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal

A system founded by men, and principally (or solely) governed by men. Women and intersex individuals are excluded or marginalized from holding any power or influence.

See above; non-males are not allowed to have any significant influence in a man-made religion. Granted, given roughly 50% of the human population is non-male, it's rather impossible to avoid indirect influence. But if you aren't male, your power is quite limited and often actively opposed or derailed.

The question is, unfortunately, not applicable. As a human, not following a man-made religion means not having to deal with or reconcile a cartload to a truckload of sexist BS.
I don't think that's what the OP meant by "man-made". I believe the OP meant it as reference to the whole of mankind, not just males.

Phantasman

If christians are defined by their temple in spirit, when they come together, what do you mean they are guided by man? But individually, they are not?

Who is man (say christian) apart from god?
Man himself cannot teach others. This is what the Priests believed. The real word to use here is "elder". One who has defined his path through the Spirit. He only helps you find your own path, not his.

John:
21 Peter seeing him saith to Jesus, Lord, and what shall this man do?
22 Jesus saith unto him, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? follow thou me.
23 Then went this saying abroad among the brethren, that that disciple should not die: yet Jesus said not unto him, He shall not die; but, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee?

If you take your eyes off of Christ (Spirit) to listen to a man (or men), would you follow the man?

Coming together is a gathering of saints (those of the Spirit). No man leads or teaches others. Even the disciples debated themselves as well as debating the Spirit. The Word is a seed that grows (within). Not through mens teachings, but the result in seeking the Spirit. Truth is everywhere at any time, not just at the gathering.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Think of each religion as a different 'expression', not wrong, but different.

Different is a nicer term. Not all christians use "man" meaning different. The context is separation between they and the people saying it. In that context of separation, I don't see how that's needed given both sides are "man" unless the phrase is making a hierarchy of which man knows better than the other?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Man himself cannot teach others. This is what the Priests believed. The real word to use here is "elder". One who has defined his path through the Spirit. He only helps you find your own path, not his.

The apostles taught others way after jesus' death.

John:
21 Peter seeing him saith to Jesus, Lord, and what shall this man do?
22 Jesus saith unto him, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? follow thou me.
23 Then went this saying abroad among the brethren, that that disciple should not die: yet Jesus said not unto him, He shall not die; but, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee?

You'd have to do another translation. I get a headache over the thee-thous. I found another translation; and, I can't see the connection.

If you take your eyes off of Christ (Spirit) to listen to a man (or men), would you follow the man?

That's the question of my OP. You are man. I am man. We are all men. Who is man in contrast with christ? Are you man now that you are with christ? I don't see a separation between man and spirit. You'd have to define the terms.

Coming together is a gathering of saints (those of the Spirit). No man leads or teaches others. Even the disciples debated themselves as well as debating the Spirit. The Word is a seed that grows (within). Not through mens teachings, but the result in seeking the Spirit. Truth is everywhere at any time, not just at the gathering.

The bible is part of men's teachings. It doesn't end at the bible:

John 21 (from the scripture you posted above)

25 Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written.

Taking away men's (definition?) teachings results in new age spirituality. Without the history, culture, and teachings, christianity can make it anyway you all want it to be and say "its from the spirit."

That is fine until you separate those of the spirit and "other people."

Since you are man, I am man, and we are all men. Who are these "other people" you contrast with yourself and those who agree with you?

pearl

The context is separation between they and the people saying it. In that context of separation, I don't see how that's needed given both sides are "man" unless the phrase is making a hierarchy of which man knows better than the other?

Its acknowledging whether or not God's word is 'spoken' by God or the 'word' is human, 'mans'. The differences lie in the interpretation of God's 'word'. I would assume that all believe they hold the highest expression of faith. The thing is there was faith before anything written.

Phantasman

The apostles taught others way after jesus' death.

You'd have to do another translation. I get a headache over the thee-thous. I found another translation; and, I can't see the connection.

That's the question of my OP. You are man. I am man. We are all men. Who is man in contrast with christ? Are you man now that you are with christ? I don't see a separation between man and spirit. You'd have to define the terms.

The bible is part of men's teachings. It doesn't end at the bible:

John 21 (from the scripture you posted above)

25 Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written.

Taking away men's (definition?) teachings results in new age spirituality. Without the history, culture, and teachings, christianity can make it anyway you all want it to be and say "its from the spirit."

That is fine until you separate those of the spirit and "other people."

Since you are man, I am man, and we are all men. Who are these "other people" you contrast with yourself and those who agree with you?
I never ask anyone to follow me. I merely give perspective where it doesn't exist. The Gospel (truth of Spirit) is beyond the the Bible. The Bible is like Eden. The tree (truth) is in it surrounded by weeds (error).

1 John 4:
4 Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.
5 They are of the world: therefore speak they of the world, and the world heareth them.
6 We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.
7 Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.
8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.

Drop the spirit of error (that before Christ) and dwell in the spirit of truth (Gospel) given by the Spirit. Only the Spirit speaks what it hears from the Father (true God).

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Its acknowledging whether or not God's word is 'spoken' by God or the 'word' is human, 'mans'. The differences lie in the interpretation of God's 'word'. I would assume that all believe they hold the highest expression of faith. The thing is there was faith before anything written.

How do you know the difference? We can put trust, faith, and interpret meaning via our experiences but do these three things make one persons word of god and another persons religious text or is there a way to tell the difference between mans word and gods since both are, well written by people inspired or not?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I never ask anyone to follow me. I merely give perspective where it doesn't exist. The Gospel (truth of Spirit) is beyond the the Bible. The Bible is like Eden. The tree (truth) is in it surrounded by weeds (error).

1 John 4:
4 Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.
5 They are of the world: therefore speak they of the world, and the world heareth them.
6 We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.
7 Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.
8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.

Drop the spirit of error (that before Christ) and dwell in the spirit of truth (Gospel) given by the Spirit. Only the Spirit speaks what it hears from the Father (true God).

I cant follow how this relates to my questions. Close I can get is asking is man the weeds?