• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Man made religion

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
What do you mean by man-made religion and influence? Are you not part of this influence? What does it mean, as a man, for you not to follow man-made religion?
All religions are man-made. If it is ascribed to a God, you cannot alter it. If it remains man-made then you can carve it to your views. That is not stiffling, over-bearing, shackling.

Pudding

What do you mean by man-made religion and influence?
Don't know what influence you're referring to. Need elaborate and present some example of those influence.

Man-made religion:
An organization of faith and worship of either Gods or gods. All those Gods and gods doesn't exist as real being, making the religion purely man-made.

full

Are you not part of this influence?
What influence? Who influence who?

What i know is that i do not participate in any religion, whether it be man-made or non-man-made (if any non-man-made religion exists). I also don't have the belief that at least one deity exists as real being.

What does it mean, as a man, for you not to follow man-made religion?
Who say that? Please provide their original statement.

(I know there're other definitions of religion which do not involve God/god or organization. The characteristic of religion i provided above does not apply to all religions.)

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Then what is a spirit and where does it come from if there is no God

Spirit is the breathe of life; its what (rather than who) keeps our bodies running. Its literally our energy.

I would think our spirits are lost in darkness, void and chaos. Without the Spirit of Light who is God to lead us.

I dont see the spirit as someone who can be lost. To me, that could be what many call soul. Though, Ive only experienced peoples spirits not their soul.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I actually never saw religion as an organization. Organizations sound more for business. Religion is cultural and spiritual ways to understand life.
What i know is that i do not participate in any religion, whether it be man-made or non-man-made (if any non-man-made religion exists). I also don't have the belief that at least one deity exists as real being

If its man-made, do you mean history?

Don't know what influence you're referring to. Need elaborate and present some example of those influence.

A lot of people in history say Greeks influence the making of christianity. One god religions wasnt always around. Many factors, a lot political, turned polytheism to monotheism. Historically and political influences shape what we call religion. Unless man-mad is referring to political, as a communal practice and faith, I see its pass all of that. But many religious dont agree. Im wondering what they mean by man-made. I can guess but hoping one can give a good answer beyond whose right and wrong.

Who say that? Please provide their original statement.

It is the original statement addressed to all who answer the OP.

What does it mean for you (people answering the OP) to not follow a man-made religion.

Edited.

Last edited:

dfnj

Man himself cannot teach others. This is what the Priests believed. The real word to use here is "elder". One who has defined his path through the Spirit. He only helps you find your own path, not his.

John:
21 Peter seeing him saith to Jesus, Lord, and what shall this man do?
22 Jesus saith unto him, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? follow thou me.
23 Then went this saying abroad among the brethren, that that disciple should not die: yet Jesus said not unto him, He shall not die; but, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee?

If you take your eyes off of Christ (Spirit) to listen to a man (or men), would you follow the man?

Coming together is a gathering of saints (those of the Spirit). No man leads or teaches others. Even the disciples debated themselves as well as debating the Spirit. The Word is a seed that grows (within). Not through mens teachings, but the result in seeking the Spirit. Truth is everywhere at any time, not just at the gathering.

Unless you use the words like "saith", "unto", "thee", "brethren" people will NOT take your religion seriously.

dfnj

Is there such a thing as a religion that isn't man-made?

Every religion is man made. I have yet seen or read anything that was clearly written or spoken by God. All I've seen is men writing down what they claim God has told them. This is a big problem with religion in my opinion. Because religious text is written by men it has to be read as metaphor not to be taken out of the context of history it was written. For example:

No. 5: Another blood-curdling tale from the Book of Judges, where an Israelite man is trapped in a house by a hostile crowd, and sends out his concubine to placate them:

“So the man took his concubine and sent her outside to them, and they raped her and abused her throughout the night, and at dawn they let her go. At daybreak the woman went back to the house where her master was staying, fell down at the door and lay there until daylight. When her master got up in the morning and opened the door of the house and stepped out to continue on his way, there lay his concubine, fallen in the doorway of the house, with her hands on the threshold. He said to her, ‘Get up; let’s go.’ But there was no answer. Then the man put her on his donkey and set out for home.” (Judges 19:25-28)

In modern day living, having a concubine is immoral. And sending your concubine out into a crowd to be gang raped is criminal by today's standards. Obviously, the Bible was written by men and NOT by God. I've made this claim and people have said, "but it is the divinely inspired word of God." Yes, it is words about God but I doubt very much it was divinely inspired.

Last edited:

dfnj

I am man
You are man
We are all men

There is a man-made religion. It is called "Humanism":

Humanism is a rational philosophy informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by compassion. Affirming the dignity of each human being, it supports the maximization of individual liberty and opportunity consonant with social and planetary responsibility. It advocates the extension of participatory democracy and the expansion of the open society, standing for human rights and social justice. Free of supernaturalism, it recognizes human beings as a part of nature and holds that values-be they religious, ethical, social, or political-have their source in human experience and culture. Humanism thus derives the goals of life from human need and interest rather than from theological or ideological abstractions, and asserts that humanity must take responsibility for its own destiny.
The Humanist Magazine

Manifesto I:

The time has come for widespread recognition of the radical changes in religious beliefs throughout the modern world. The time is past for mere revision of traditional attitudes. Science and economic change have disrupted the old beliefs. Religions the world over are under the necessity of coming to terms with new conditions created by a vastly increased knowledge and experience. In every field of human activity, the vital movement is now in the direction of a candid and explicit humanism. In order that religious humanism may be better understood we, the undersigned, desire to make certain affirmations which we believe the facts of our contemporary life demonstrate.

There is great danger of a final, and we believe fatal, identification of the word religion with doctrines and methods which have lost their significance and which are powerless to solve the problem of human living in the Twentieth Century. Religions have always been means for realizing the highest values of life. Their end has been accomplished through the interpretation of the total environing situation (theology or world view), the sense of values resulting therefrom (goal or ideal), and the technique (cult), established for realizing the satisfactory life. A change in any of these factors results in alteration of the outward forms of religion. This fact explains the changefulness of religions through the centuries. But through all changes religion itself remains constant in its quest for abiding values, an inseparable feature of human life.

Today man’s larger understanding of the universe, his scientific achievements, and deeper appreciation of brotherhood, have created a situation which requires a new statement of the means and purposes of religion. Such a vital, fearless, and frank religion capable of furnishing adequate social goals and personal satisfactions may appear to many people as a complete break with the past. While this age does owe a vast debt to the traditional religions, it is none the less obvious that any religion that can hope to be a synthesizing and dynamic force for today must be shaped for the needs of this age. To establish such a religion is a major necessity of the present. It is a responsibility which rests upon this generation. We therefore affirm the following:

FIRST: Religious humanists regard the universe as self-existing and not created.

SECOND: Humanism believes that man is a part of nature and that he has emerged as a result of a continuous process.

THIRD: Holding an organic view of life, humanists find that the traditional dualism of mind and body must be rejected.

FOURTH: Humanism recognizes that man’s religious culture and civilization, as clearly depicted by anthropology and history, are the product of a gradual development due to his interaction with his natural environment and with his social heritage. The individual born into a particular culture is largely molded by that culture.

FIFTH: Humanism asserts that the nature of the universe depicted by modern science makes unacceptable any supernatural or cosmic guarantees of human values. Obviously humanism does not deny the possibility of realities as yet undiscovered, but it does insist that the way to determine the existence and value of any and all realities is by means of intelligent inquiry and by the assessment of their relations to human needs. Religion must formulate its hopes and plans in the light of the scientific spirit and method.

SIXTH: We are convinced that the time has passed for theism, deism, modernism, and the several varieties of “new thought”.

SEVENTH: Religion consists of those actions, purposes, and experiences which are humanly significant. Nothing human is alien to the religious. It includes labor, art, science, philosophy, love, friendship, recreation–all that is in its degree expressive of intelligently satisfying human living. The distinction between the sacred and the secular can no longer be maintained.

EIGHTH: Religious Humanism considers the complete realization of human personality to be the end of man’s life and seeks its development and fulfillment in the here and now. This is the explanation of the humanist’s social passion.

NINTH: In the place of the old attitudes involved in worship and prayer the humanist finds his religious emotions expressed in a heightened sense of personal life and in a cooperative effort to promote social well-being.

TENTH: It follows that there will be no uniquely religious emotions and attitudes of the kind hitherto associated with belief in the supernatural.

ELEVENTH: Man will learn to face the crises of life in terms of his knowledge of their naturalness and probability. Reasonable and manly attitudes will be fostered by education and supported by custom. We assume that humanism will take the path of social and mental hygiene and discourage sentimental and unreal hopes and wishful thinking.

TWELFTH: Believing that religion must work increasingly for joy in living, religious humanists aim to foster the creative in man and to encourage achievements that add to the satisfactions of life.

THIRTEENTH: Religious humanism maintains that all associations and institutions exist for the fulfillment of human life. The intelligent evaluation, transformation, control, and direction of such associations and institutions with a view to the enhancement of human life is the purpose and program of humanism. Certainly religious institutions, their ritualistic forms, ecclesiastical methods, and communal activities must be reconstituted as rapidly as experience allows, in order to function effectively in the modern world.

FOURTEENTH: The humanists are firmly convinced that existing acquisitive and profit-motivated society has shown itself to be inadequate and that a radical change in methods, controls, and motives must be instituted. A socialized and cooperative economic order must be established to the end that the equitable distribution of the means of life be possible. The goal of humanism is a free and universal society in which people voluntarily and intelligently cooperate for the common good. Humanists demand a shared life in a shared world.

FIFTEENTH AND LAST: We assert that humanism will: (a) affirm life rather than deny it; (b) seek to elicit the possibilities of life, not flee from them; and (c) endeavor to establish the conditions of a satisfactory life for all, not merely for the few. By this positive morale and intention humanism will be guided, and from this perspective and alignment the techniques and efforts of humanism will flow.

So stand the theses of religious humanism. Though we consider the religious forms and ideas of our fathers no longer adequate, the quest for the good life is still the central task for mankind. Man is at last becoming aware that he alone is responsible for the realization of the world of his dreams, that he has within himself the power for its achievement. He must set intelligence and will to the task.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Spirit is the breathe of life; its what (rather than who) keeps our bodies running. Its literally our energy. I don't see the spirit as someone who can be lost. To me, that could be what many call soul. Though, I've only experienced peoples spirits not their soul.
Spirit is either Ethyl Alcohol or Methyl Alcohol. Ethyl Alcohol is nice for the body and the person if taken in measured quantities. Methyl Alcohol is the culprit. In India, many die each year by consuming Ethyl Alcohol which is mixed with Methyl Alcohol. However, the boot-leggers and police make money. So that is 'spirit'. That is what keeps us going. Hail the 'spirit'.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't think that's what the OP meant by "man-made". I believe the OP meant it as reference to the whole of mankind, not just males.

If not, then the term "human-made" is the correct one, not "man-made." We're not living in the in the pre-1970s era anymore when it was okay to pretend that "mankind" was an appropriate way to refer to all humanity. Yeah, I'm the guy who points that out all the time.

Neb

I am man

You are man

We are all men

There is the law of the land that one must follow and if one does not follow this law or rules then one is following one's own rules, right? It's the same thing in every belief, there are rules written as their guide but if one does not follow these rules then sh/e becomes a lawbreaker, right? IOW, a lawbreaker follows its own man-made rules, whether it be a religion or the law of the land.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
There is the law of the land that one must follow and if one does not follow this law or rules then one is following one's own rules, right? It's the same thing in every belief, there are rules written as their guide but if one does not follow these rules then sh/e becomes a lawbreaker, right? IOW, a lawbreaker follows its own man-made rules, whether it be a religion or the law of the land.

All men are subject to the laws of their land. They apply to both the law makers and citizens alike. All men follow rules they set for themselves regardless what and how.

There is no such thing as god's laws if going by history. But I think believers (muslims, christians, bahai, [all who I see use the term man-made in relation to their beliefs and those they disagree with] use it a bit differently.

Last edited:

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
I am man
You are man
We are all men

Jesus offers relationship offer formalized religion, relationships with Christians, and divine guidance through the scriptures.

dfnj

Jesus offers relationship offer formalized religion, relationships with Christians, and divine guidance through the scriptures.

I can live my life according to the teachings of Jesus without having a relationship with Jesus. Paulanity is clearly a religion created by men.

Neb

All men are subject to the laws of their land. They apply to both the law makers and citizens alike. All men follow rules they set for themselves regardless what and how.
What do you call a lawbreaker?
There is no such thing as god's laws if going by history.
tell that to the wahhabis and see how many lashes they gonna give you.
But I think believers (muslims, christians, bahai, [all who I see use the term man-made in relation to their beliefs and those they disagree with] use it a bit differently.
For example, bahai says, Christ 2nd coming "has happened and was Fulfilled in the Messages of the Bab ("Gate") and Baha'u'llah ("Glory of God", or "Glory of the Lord")" but nothing was mentioned in the Bible about bahaullah at all. Now, do you think this is NOT a man-made religion?

Phantasman

Unless you use the words like "saith", "unto", "thee", "brethren" people will NOT take your religion seriously.
I only quote from the earliest translations before mans continual changes perverted the translations further. The Spirit reveals the image (in mind), not the words.

The KJV was translated from the Latin (Codex Vaticanus). Todays translations are translated from the KJV.

Some easy to understand translations change the outcome by the translators bias thinking. This thinking can be debated by comparing translations by easily going to sites that offer comparisons like:

1 John 2:22 - Bible Gateway

If you read the page, you see different translations steering into different thought.

Is it "antichrist" (against Christ) or is it "the AntiChrist", a proper thing?

You can clearly see how the older versions have been changed to produce different thoughts.

It's part of the seeking (truth) process.

dfnj

I only quote from the earliest translations before mans continual changes perverted the translations further. The Spirit reveals the image (in mind), not the words.

The KJV was translated from the Latin (Codex Vaticanus). Todays translations are translated from the KJV.

Some easy to understand translations change the outcome by the translators bias thinking. This thinking can be debated by comparing translations by easily going to sites that offer comparisons like:

1 John 2:22 - Bible Gateway

If you read the page, you see different translations steering into different thought.

Is it "antichrist" (against Christ) or is it "the AntiChrist", a proper thing?

You can clearly see how the older versions have been changed to produce different thoughts.

It's part of the seeking (truth) process.

There is no doubt each person brings their own prejudice and bigotry to their translation. This is one of the reasons why I say the Bible was written by man and not God.

What is truth and what is not is purely subjective.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
What do you call a lawbreaker

A criminal? What are you actually asking?

tell that to the wahhabis and see how many lashes they gonna give you.

Whats a wahhabis?

Lashes? U.S. doesnt punish people for disagreeing with religious claims of origin. I cant speak for other countries.

For example, bahai says, Christ 2nd coming "has happened and was Fulfilled in the Messages of the Bab ("Gate") and Baha'u'llah ("Glory of God", or "Glory of the Lord")" but nothing was mentioned in the Bible about bahaullah at all. Now, do you think this is NOT a man-made religion?

All religions originate from man from then until now, you and I included. Thats my point. We are all men.

What are you trying to say?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
:confused:
Paulanity is clearly a religion created by men.

Humans? How do you know the difference between gods laws and humans? Scripture is written by people. Time difference is irrelevant.

This is one of the reasons why I say the Bible was written by man and not God.

Whats an example of something that was written by god himself rather than others speaking for him?