• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Many many Chariot wheels found at bottom of Red sea.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
God has taught me well. I would be a fool to believe mortals who stand in opposition.
How do you know that God taught you that? It is a pity that you do not understand Genesis. if you did you would be looking for any excuse to say that it is not literally true.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I know 100% its literally true.

If that was true you could do more than simply claim it. When you cannot support such a claim you refute yourself.

In fact if you believed yourself you would at least try. That you do not even try to support your claims shows that even believe your own BS.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
I know 100% its literally true.
I know my Born Again Christian friends are taught and have come to believe that the Bible is literally true. It becomes that strong foundation that they build off of.

But just how strong is that foundation? Some Christians start making some compromises. Like are they going to be young Earthers? Was there no rain until the flood? Were there giants in the land?

In Mark, what does a Christian do with chapter 16? Do they go out and join a snake handling Church? Or even with the gifts. Do they go out and join a Pentecostal Church? Or maybe not so strictly "literal" and they join a Charismatic Church? Or maybe they believe the gifts aren't for today and join a Church that doesn't practice the gifts.

So much depends on how a Christian sect is going to interpret a verse... JW's to Catholics to Presbyterians to Lutherans to Baptists. So, even a Christian that wants to believe the Bible literally is faced with making some choices as to what they want to take literally, and how literal do they want to take it.

Then there's those of us that ask... "Why take any of it literally? It just sounds like ancient religious myths and legends to me." But I know, you can't believe that. That would destroy your foundation... That the Bible is literally, 100% true.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
God didn't lie. Mans use of science lies. Just like many scientists claim evolution caused creation. Calling God a liar-Gen 1:1--So its you believing lies over God. You know the God who gave you life for free.
How does usage of science/knowledge lie? Hasn't science proved to be the most productive and accurate source of understanding in history? For thousands of years we advanced by guesswork and trial-and-error -- at a snail's pace. But with the adoption of scientific methodology our technology and understanding of the world has skyrocketed in only a couple of centuries. Science works. Religion never produced anything but conflict and disagreement.

Why do you believe it's science that lies, rather than religion? Science is objectively verifiable. Religion is not. Science yields consistent, consilient, testable, agreed-upon results. Religion never has.

Brian2

Veteran Member
I am tempted to say, "It doesn't" just to point out that you have done nothing more than to say it does. But rather, I will use my words and say that this is nothing more than a bald assertion. Are they connected in the way that you say they are just because you say so? Surely you have more

There are 3 times in the synoptics when the story of the transfiguration is told. Each time, just before it, there is a statement about some people seeing something. The statements are at the end of the same When we look at the statements we see this:

Mark 8:38 If anyone is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will be ashamed of them when he comes in his Father’s glory with the holy angels.”
Mark 9:1 And he said to them, “Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see that the kingdom of God has come with power.”

Matthew 16:27 For the Son of Man is going to come in his Father’s glory with his angels, and then he will reward each person according to what they have done.
28 “Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.”

Luke 9:26 Whoever is ashamed of me and my words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of them when he comes in his glory and in the glory of the Father and of the holy angels.
27 “Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the kingdom of God.”

Luke and Mark say nothing about Jesus and Matthew imo is meant to mean the same thing. You might disagree and say that they other 2 are meant to mean what something closer to what Matthew says. That might make Matthew the first gospel written however, instead of Mark. And anyway even Matthew does not say that anyone will see the Son of Man returning to earth.

servant1

If that was true you could do more than simply claim it. When you cannot support such a claim you refute yourself.

In fact if you believed yourself you would at least try. That you do not even try to support your claims shows that even believe your own BS.
You cant prove Jack either way. You have words of men. I have words of God.

servant1

I know my Born Again Christian friends are taught and have come to believe that the Bible is literally true. It becomes that strong foundation that they build off of.

But just how strong is that foundation? Some Christians start making some compromises. Like are they going to be young Earthers? Was there no rain until the flood? Were there giants in the land?

In Mark, what does a Christian do with chapter 16? Do they go out and join a snake handling Church? Or even with the gifts. Do they go out and join a Pentecostal Church? Or maybe not so strictly "literal" and they join a Charismatic Church? Or maybe they believe the gifts aren't for today and join a Church that doesn't practice the gifts.

So much depends on how a Christian sect is going to interpret a verse... JW's to Catholics to Presbyterians to Lutherans to Baptists. So, even a Christian that wants to believe the Bible literally is faced with making some choices as to what they want to take literally, and how literal do they want to take it.

Then there's those of us that ask... "Why take any of it literally? It just sounds like ancient religious myths and legends to me." But I know, you can't believe that. That would destroy your foundation... That the Bible is literally, 100% true.
A domestic Christian has 0 choice in matters of Gods truth. They are taught by these-Matt 24:45, or they remain in darkness.
Nothing men say will destroy my 100% view. the bible is literal. There is some symbolism but few understand it.

servant1

How does usage of science/knowledge lie? Hasn't science proved to be the most productive and accurate source of understanding in history? For thousands of years we advanced by guesswork and trial-and-error -- at a snail's pace. But with the adoption of scientific methodology our technology and understanding of the world has skyrocketed in only a couple of centuries. Science works. Religion never produced anything but conflict and disagreement.

Why do you believe it's science that lies, rather than religion? Science is objectively verifiable. Religion is not. Science yields consistent, consilient, testable, agreed-upon results. Religion never has.
Many scientists who were evolutionists now know 100% by studying creation. It took intelligent design to make it all work in harmony. Proving they were in error and its not Gods word that is error.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
A domestic Christian has 0 choice in matters of Gods truth. They are taught by these-Matt 24:45, or they remain in darkness.
Nothing men say will destroy my 100% view. the bible is literal. There is some symbolism but few understand it.
How about the Sun stopping in sky?

Joshua 10:12 On the day the Lord gave the Amorites over to Israel, Joshua said to the Lord in the presence of Israel:​
“Sun, stand still over Gibeon,
and you, moon, over the Valley of Aijalon.”
13 So the sun stood still,
and the moon stopped,
till the nation avenged itself on[b] its enemies,​
as it is written in the Book of Jashar.​
The sun stopped in the middle of the sky and delayed going down about a full day. 14 There has never been a day like it before or since, a day when the Lord listened to a human being. Surely the Lord was fighting for Israel!​
Sorry, it don't sound like "symbolism". And it don't sound like something that could possibly have happened. So, my guess, that it just religious myth. Who back in the day wouldn't have doubted the story. But these days? How can a Christian believe that literally happened?

And yes, your God could have done it. But if he stopped the Sun, the Earth would have kept moving. So, do you think stopped the Earth? I don't know, but it seems way more likely that it's just a made up story just to get the Israelites to believe how great their God is.

Do stories like these really need to be believed literally to be a true Christian?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
i was being funny. The bible says the wicked will demand proof.) They have no faith. A righteous one lives by faith.
Define "righteous". Odds are that if it is anything positive that they do not live by faith. And the Bible saying that only indicates that even the writers knew that they were writing nonsense. A perfect book would not need defensive verses where it lied about others.

servant1

How about the Sun stopping in sky?

Joshua 10:12 On the day the Lord gave the Amorites over to Israel, Joshua said to the Lord in the presence of Israel:​
“Sun, stand still over Gibeon,​
and you, moon, over the Valley of Aijalon.”​
13 So the sun stood still,​
and the moon stopped,​
till the nation avenged itself on[b] its enemies,​
as it is written in the Book of Jashar.​
The sun stopped in the middle of the sky and delayed going down about a full day. 14 There has never been a day like it before or since, a day when the Lord listened to a human being. Surely the Lord was fighting for Israel!​
Sorry, it don't sound like "symbolism". And it don't sound like something that could possibly have happened. So, my guess, that it just religious myth. Who back in the day wouldn't have doubted the story. But these days? How can a Christian believe that literally happened?

And yes, your God could have done it. But if he stopped the Sun, the Earth would have kept moving. So, do you think stopped the Earth? I don't know, but it seems way more likely that it's just a made up story just to get the Israelites to believe how great their God is.

Do stories like these really need to be believed literally to be a true Christian?
God is powerful, look at how marvelous his creation is that works in perfect harmony. He can stop the sun if he wants.

servant1

Define "righteous". Odds are that if it is anything positive that they do not live by faith. And the Bible saying that only indicates that even the writers knew that they were writing nonsense. A perfect book would not need defensive verses where it lied about others.
your lack of bible knowledge may seem that it contradicts. But it doesn't. Many read it and do not have a clue.
RIGHTeous-- they have Gods truth.