• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

mary, virgin or not

Alceste

Vagabond
It's just a way to mess with the contraceptive crowd. That no matter what you do; you aren't in control.

Lol, it's not a very good one. Condoms may only be 98% effective at preventing unplanted pregnancy but they are 100% effective at preventing immaculate conception. ;)

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Lol, it's not a very good one. Condoms are 100% effective at preventing immaculate conception.

If God puts a baby in you, what good will the condom do? :D

The idea isn't that you never get pregnant; only that you postpone it.

100%....not quite but I'm not in the mood of arguing this.

Alceste

Vagabond
If God puts a baby in you, what good will the condom do? :D

The idea isn't that you never get pregnant; only that you postpone it.

100%....not quite but I'm not in the mood of arguing this.

I edited my post to make the punchline clearer. :)

waitasec

Veteran Member
It says in the bible that Mary was pregnant before she got with Joseph, and Jesus had an elder brother too, James, so she would have had a child to at least 3 men. Strangely they do not mention that James was an older brother in the bible since it would kind of ruin the "I'm a virgin story", you find that out by reading the Gospel of Thomas. According to the bible Jesus had 4 brothers and at least two sisters.

An unmarried mother in those days would have faced some difficulty Joseph could have had her stoned to death for not being a virgin when he married her, her clan or the group she belonged to could have turned on her, maybe even killing her in a bid to protect the reputation of the group.

In this day and age women have lied about the father for much less, I think threat of death would pretty much drive someone to say anything; though I don't believe it is true either; by which I mean I think the whole bible is a story.

that is interesting...
it's also interesting, at least to me that is, why does the genealogy of joseph hold any significance?

outhouse

Atheistically
knowing what we know today, does anyone still believe mary wAS a virgin.
she did have a man and can we really believe they would only have sex when they wanted to reproduce.

thats not in a man or womans nature, hormones are powerful.

She was not a virgin

this hasnt happened with 1 of the 6+ billion people alive today.

it hasnt happened before todays generation either.

Wer do know that the authors of the NT created the dogma surrounding christianity.

Not one author of the NT knew or met or heard a single word from the Yeshua charactor.

pre 30 years old, yeshua and his family have no real historicity with any certainty

one story is that she was raped by a roman guard. fact is we dont know do to how much was sensatinalized ,,,, and due to the high illiteracy rate in the area

waitasec

Veteran Member
some need to be reminded that this bible also found it to be justifiable to stone a virgin if she didn't bleed on her wedding night...
it happens... and to think of how many girls were killed simply because of this makes me think these ideas stem from ignorance and here we are in the 21st century perpetuating this nonsense...
it boggles my mind.

Quiddity

I edited my post to make the punchline clearer. :)

Bare with me because I disagree with you on many fronts but consider you to be a smart cookie so when I see an error in your post I question myself before I do you and because I haven't finished my coffee yet.

Tell me, how exactly would a condom stop an immaculate conception (God intervention)?

I mean, if you are going to entertain the idea for a second.

It would be like having a discussion about magic carpets and then arguing that they can't get to Dallas in an hour (thank you Kevin James for this).

So, I can only assume you meant "conception" and not necessarily an immaculate one.

Last edited:

Quiddity

some need to be reminded that this bible also found it to be justifiable to stone a virgin if she didn't bleed on her wedding night...
it happens... and to think of how many girls were killed simply because of this makes me think these ideas stem from ignorance and here we are in the 21st century perpetuating this nonsense...
it boggles my mind.

Saying you are virgin without having relations would get you stoned as well.

I can't say I remember this particular verse in the bible. Not that I doubt you because stoning was common back then, but I suspect a lack of bleeding wouldn't necessarily mean you aren't a virgin.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Mary was a virgin. Elizabeth was barren in her old age too.

Her being old and barren is irrelevant to a supposed young women becoming pregnant without having sex. Elizabeth's pregnancy implies she and her husband tried one or more times but couldn't get pregnant. That would not be out of the ordinary (i.e. Abraham and Sarah).

Prophet

breaking the statutes of my local municipality
Didn't Jesus himself teach of a God who never intervenes? What is it you think Jesus met when he highlighted God's example of perfection when Jesus said that God causes the sun to rise on the good and evil and sends His rains on the just and unjust, not showing preference to any being?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Being a Christian, I do believe she was a virgin when Jesus was born. It doesn't say anywhere in the Bible that James was an older brother, just a brother and even if he was an older brother, how do we know whether Joseph had another wife before Mary (some Catholics believe that all of Jesus' brothers were with another wife). I do believe that Mary had more children with Joseph- they are listed by name.

That said, no one knows anything for absolute sure. I will not presume to be the only one who does.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Saying you are virgin without having relations would get you stoned as well.
i'm not sure i understand your point.

I can't say I remember this particular verse in the bible. Not that I doubt you because stoning was common back then, but I suspect a lack of bleeding wouldn't necessarily mean you aren't a virgin.
but to kill someone over that is ludicrous, agreed?
btw, it's in dueteronomy 22

and it is in this light that we are too believe that mary was a virgin, otherwise she would be stoned to death. it's a perfect loophole to justify her being pregnant in the 1st place...

Prophet

breaking the statutes of my local municipality
Stories about Jesus's conception, glorious birth, and childhood contained in the Bible are all likely complete and utter fabrication by Rome to fit Christianity to their religion which had been known to the Jewish people long earlier when they were slaves of Babylon.

This is why in Revelation, John refers to Rome as the Whore of Babylon.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
it's a perfect loophole to justify her being pregnant in the 1st place...
So your perfect loophole is that Mary walks up to the Sanhedrin and says: "Waitasec (sorry, couldn't help myself), it's not my fault. G-d did it." Yeah, that would have worked - perfectly. :rolleyes:

Quiddity

i'm not sure i understand your point.
Imagine for a second that Mary was pregnant without Joseph even being in the picture. How would people look at that?
but to kill someone over that is ludicrous, agreed?
Without a doubt. There is many things in the OT that couldn't possibly follow.
btw, it's in dueteronomy 22
Thanks.
and it is in this light that we are too believe that mary was a virgin, otherwise she would be stoned to death. it's a perfect loophole to justify her being pregnant in the 1st place...
You might want to look deeper into Mary's past. It is our belief she took a vow similar to that of nuns. Joseph was simply there so she wouldn't get stoned.

outhouse

Atheistically
Imagine for a second that Mary was pregnant without Joseph even being in the picture. How would people look at that?

rape

You might want to look deeper into Mary's past. It is our belief she took a vow similar to that of nuns. Joseph was simply there so she wouldn't get stoned.

we dont know how accurate that information is. it doesnt have the historicity to be so certain.