• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Massachusetts town approved proposal for Palestinian flag to be flown on public grounds.

Let's be clear here - Arab leaders abroad supported the British against the Ottoman's in return for what they understood to be an independence promise for the Palestinians and other Arab regions. Hussein-McMahon correspondence | History & Map

After the war when Britain became the new occupier,this national self-determination was not granted. Instead, Britain announced that it would support the creation of a national homeland in Palestine for Jews. Balfour would later go on to say that they had a right to reject Palestinian self-determination.
originally, Israel was very small. There was plenty of room for the Palestinians to flourish. Of course, that wasn't good enough.

Look how tiny Israel was, and would have remained, if the Palestinians, and surrounding Arab countries wouldnt have attacked them:
0xM5P.jpg

So the Palestinians were then in a position that they were being denied their own self-determination in the name of the creation of the Jewish homeland. Why would anyone expect them to be happy or welcoming of this?

The fears of the Arab population of Palestine were that the Zionist movement would endanger their economic subsistence and that the Zionists become their new overlords. Looking at Palestine today, there is no other conclusion that I can draw but that the Arab fear was rational.

Given this, to characterize Arab resistance to Zionism as resulting from a desire to have 'preferential treatment' is nothing but apologia for the British and later the Israeli leaders.
They weren't denied self determination. They could have had it, but instead focused on eradicating Israel as not only their primary goal, but as their only goal. Mistakes were made, and Israel took full advantage of them over it.

libre

Skylark
Staff member
Premium Member
I didn't see that in the Balfour Declaration.

View attachment 85094
Balfour the man sent a letter to Lloyd George containing the aforementioned quote. It is listed further down in the wiki article on the Balfour declaration that I linked.

Look how tiny Israel was, and would have remained
I don't know how else to interpret this in any other than as an Israeli apologist position.
It seems to me that this line of argument can basically be summed up as:
"Trust us, we wanted to peacefully coexist but the arabs were too anti-semetic so we had to steal all their land and turn them into homeless refugees".

I can't think of any other conflict in recent historical memory where this kind of military decision wouldn't be considered unconscionable.

Orbit

I'm a planet
originally, Israel was very small. There was plenty of room for the Palestinians to flourish. Of course, that wasn't good enough.

Look how tiny Israel was, and would have remained, if the Palestinians, and surrounding Arab countries wouldnt have attacked them:
View attachment 85093

They weren't denied self determination. They could have had it, but instead focused on eradicating Israel as not only their primary goal, but as their only goal. Mistakes were made, and Israel took full advantage of them over it.
That map is the biggest self-own I've ever seen. It shows how Israel has pushed Palestinians off of their land over time, the very reason for the conflict.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I won't accuse anyone here of anti-Semitism, or anyone anywhere in general - there's no way to really know.
Good.
I won't accuse you of hating Muslims.
But looking at the statistics...
What statistics?
....all around the world, you see people protesting Israel more than any other country out there. Don't you think it's true? And why?
The Hamas attack, & Israel's massive deadly
response has captured the world's attention.
And Israel is the far more deadly & destructive
of the two. Moreover, Hamas is neither country
nor government, so protesting it won't be a thing.
Once this is over, Russia will be back in the
limelight.
Is Israel worse than Russia?
No.
Worse than all the cartels and terrorist groups combined? I don't get it, Israel seems really normal and average to most people.
Let's turn around this common Israel apologist
tactic, ie, to whatabout focus on Israel's evil
to greater evils around the world....
Why are defenders of Israel's war crimes &
apartheid focusing in Hamas's Oct 7 attack
when there are bigger attacks around the world?

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Hamas is neither country
nor government,
Hamas is the legal government of the Gaza Strip, just as the Palestinian Authority governs the West Bank. Them being presented as nothing more than a "terrorist group" and equating them with Daesh is nothing more than a propaganda move and Israel and its cronies have done a great job of poisoning the discussion by framing it incorrectly from the start.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Hamas is the legal government of the Gaza Strip, just as the Palestinian Authority governs the West Bank. Them being presented as nothing more than a "terrorist group" and equating them with Daesh is nothing more than a propaganda move and Israel and its cronies have done a great job of poisoning the discussion by framing it incorrectly from the start.
I consider them a quasi government, ie,
not a fully functioning one, but handling
some of the functions of one.
Also, it is no more a "terrorist" organization
than Israel is.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Branch Davidians were Americans.
The People's Church and Jonestown were Americans.
The KKK is American.
Ergo, using your logic, all Americans are deranged, suicidal cultists and race-based terrorists who support Uncle Sam when it comes to bombing innocent people.
I recall trying to make the same point earlier, which was completely ignored at that time.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Except it's a fact they don't enjoy an enjoy the madate those who cheer on Israel as it slaughters the innocent seem to think. They barely gained an advantage during their last election, and most Palestinians, then and now, did not vote for them.
At that point you might as well say all Americans supports amd stands behind America's almost 250 years of violence, colonialism and calling the people misnomers it represses such as "evil commies" and "insurgents" (probably the funniest amd worst as Reagan helped prop them up and they were fighting against an American invasion and puppet government) who all allegedly hate us for our money and material obsessed and consumer driven, disposable culture and all these freedoms we have, although Uncle Sam seems to hate them more the way he takes them away (sometimes and often on a whim or just because of political bs).

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I consider them a quasi government, ie,
not a fully functioning one, but handling
some of the functions of one.
Also, it is no more a "terrorist" organization
than Israel is.
I would say they are terrorists like that. Of course people play word games with it, with Bush Jr showing the world instead of calling it fear and destruction to brake a nation and force it into submission all you have to do is soften it up, call it something like "shock and awe" and claim you're coming as a liberator.

That map is the biggest self-own I've ever seen. It shows how Israel has pushed Palestinians off of their land over time, the very reason for the conflict.
We can't say how many people lived in any areas. Also note that it was the UN, according to the map, who made the biggest leap in making the boundaries.

My understanding is that the lowlands were scaresly populated, as most of the Palestinians preferred the mountains (West Bank area).

Last edited:

Orbit

I'm a planet
We can't say how many people lived in any areas. Also note that it was the UN, according to the map, who made the biggest leap in making the boundaries.

My understanding is that the lowlands were scaresly populated, as most of the Palestinians preferred the mountains.
If you look into it you will find 700,000 Palestinians displaced in 1948 followed by more after that. The map that the UN agreed on is the 1967 border map, after which Israel illegally expanded its borders, displacing more Palestinians to result in the map you see today.

If you look into it you will find 700,000 Palestinians displaced in 1948 followed by more after that. The map that the UN agreed on is the 1967 border map, after which Israel illegally expanded its borders, displacing more Palestinians to result in the map you see today.
I'm not familiar with that, but maybe you are correct. Either way, killing people over land isn't really justifiable in my opinion. For others, it may be a worthy cause to kill over. Maybe that's the dividing factor behind the entire conflict.

But that's just me.