• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Medicare-For-All

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Suggest you look at what it cost for a medical degree in the U.S. vs other countries.
For example two articles for the U.S.
$2.6 million: Is the cost of becoming a doctor worth it?
Is Medical School Worth it Financially? – BestMedicalDegrees.com

For example one article for Great Britain
What does it take to become a doctor?

For example Germany
https://college.lovetoknow.com/cost-medical-degree-germany

For example Canada
Facts - The Cost of Becoming a Doctor
Free college will eliminate that. Free college plus universal healthcare is a win win!

dianaiad

Spare me the sob story, if truck driving was so much more lucrative than being a doctors, we'd have a lot of doctors wearing trucker caps.

I see that you haven't taken a good look at the average yearly income of a truck driver. Student drivers earn around 43,000. Experienced ones average 73,000. Consider that by the time a truck driver reaches 40, if he began at 20 or so, he will have earned something like 1,200,000. That doctor, however, won't have begun to earn until after he is about 34...six years of 200,000 per year (that seems to be the amount being thrown around...). Ok, that's 1,200,000, but remember that 500,000 student loan he has to pay back.

The point of all this is; yeah, doctors tend to get paid better than truck drivers, but I wouldn't want a truck driver trying to fix my bad kidney. .....and remember, my sons are truck drivers. We need them too.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
health care providers would be reimbursed at a reduced rate of approximately two-thirds in comparison to what they are now paid.
Here's an idea:
The cuts can come from those who aren't themselves providers or receiving services from the provider. How about let us decide what treatment a client needs instead of insurance dictating what happens? How about getting everyone to stop standing over our backs and let us work without having money being emphasized?

youknowme

Whatever you want me to be.
I see that you haven't taken a good look at the average yearly income of a truck driver. Student drivers earn around 43,000. Experienced ones average 73,000. Consider that by the time a truck driver reaches 40, if he began at 20 or so, he will have earned something like 1,200,000. That doctor, however, won't have begun to earn until after he is about 34...six years of 200,000 per year (that seems to be the amount being thrown around...). Ok, that's 1,200,000, but remember that 500,000 student loan he has to pay back.

The point of all this is; yeah, doctors tend to get paid better than truck drivers, but I wouldn't want a truck driver trying to fix my bad kidney. .....and remember, my sons are truck drivers. We need them too.

I looked into it, you are feeding me BS numbers. But even with your made up numbers I must point out that many people live past the age 40.

Shadow Wolf

Some of that difference may be cultural, it is not really possible to say that it is all due to a different healthcare system.
It may be. Unless you come from wealth, med school is a vow of poverty until you can start raking in the big bucks.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I remember those days, when Ronald Reagan was governor of California, and college was free....

I also remember that the state couldn't afford to keep it up.
Of course it can. Decrease millitary spending by 20%. Stop millitary adventurism, and it will work like a charm.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Here's an idea:
The cuts can come from those who aren't themselves providers or receiving services from the provider. How about let us decide what treatment a client needs instead of insurance dictating what happens? How about getting everyone to stop standing over our backs and let us work without having money being emphasized?

There does need to be insured cost sharing responsibilities in order to prevent providers from bilking the system at taxpayer expense by providing medically unnecessary tests or medically unnecessary treatments.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Millitary cuts. See earlier post.

Military cuts don't pay for the government. Taxpayers pay for government. So then, if students were not obliged to pay for their college education, then their education would be paid for by taxpayers.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Military cuts don't pay for the government. Taxpayers pay for government. So then, if students were not obliged to pay for their college education, then their education would be paid for by taxpayers.
Millitary cuts keep the taxes the same, taxes are used for education rather than killing people. Simple.

Shadow Wolf

There does need to be insured cost sharing responsibilities in order to prevent providers from bilking the system at taxpayer expense by providing medically unnecessary tests or medically unnecessary treatments.
I'm sure that happens, but in my experience insurance doesn't want to pay. You have to remember, providers are people as well, and unnecessary tests are more work they have to do. Generally, adding more is incredibly difficult because overloaded case loads are common and frequent.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Millitary cuts keep the taxes the same, taxes are used for education rather than killing people. Simple.

There are approximately 30 million college age persons in the U.S., In its most recent survey of college pricing, the College Board reports that a moderate college budget for an in-state public college for the 2017–2018 academic year averaged $25,290. What's the Price Tag for a College Education?

So then, if every college age person were to take advantage of the government fully paying their college education, this would cost the government approximately $750 billion annually, which is more than what the government spends all together on military spending. So even if the government were to totally eliminate the U.S. military, this still wouldn't cover the cost of the government fully paying for every college age person to be college educated.

Last edited:

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
I'm sure that happens, but in my experience insurance doesn't want to pay. You have to remember, providers are people as well, and unnecessary tests are more work they have to do. Generally, adding more is incredibly difficult because overloaded case loads are common and frequent.

How do you feel about doctors getting paid less by medicare than what private insurance pay doctors for medical services provided to patients?

esmith

Veteran Member
I have one more troubling fact to lay at the feet of the Medicare-for-all/single payer system.
Following is from Source
There are approximately 56 million people receiving Medicare. This includes both those 65 and older and disabled people of any age.
In 2016 Medicare Advantage improper payment rate was 10 percent in 2016, which comes to $16.2 billion. Add in the overpayments for standard Medicare programs, the tally for last year approaches $60 billion. Now the was for only 56 million people. Now the population of the U.S. is around 328,000,000. What do you think the improper payment per year with be with all of that money floating around.
Now if you read the entire article what do you think all of the problems will be if it is expanded 5 fold.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
There are approximately 30 million college age persons in the U.S., In its most recent survey of college pricing, the College Board reports that a moderate college budget for an in-state public college for the 2017–2018 academic year averaged $25,290. What's the Price Tag for a College Education?

So then, if every college age person were to take advantage of the government fully paying their college education, this would cost the government approximately $750 billion annually, which is more than what the government spends all together on military spending. So even if the government were to totally eliminate the U.S. military, this still wouldn't cover the cost of the government fully paying for every college age person to be college educated.
Obviously free college education does not mean universal college education. I am saying about subsidizing the existing college seats in public universities only.