• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meditation v. Magick

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
So I see a lot of posts in the DIR about magick, doing rituals or ceremonies to cause change in your life. Some people seem to think of it in a supernatural way, which I am not really into. I recognize that the use of ritual and symbolism is extremely powerful psychologically, but what is that really accomplishing? Magick is a more complicated way of positive thinking, praying, wishing, hoping, etc it seems. I have also seen "rituals" where you simply light a candle in the dark and feel the powers of darkness, whatever that means to people.

So what is magick really? Is it simply a placebo effect of the mind? Personally, if nothing is actually happening I see no point in practicing it. Or, is it more like mysticism and meditation, tapping into something deeper than ourselves? If this is the case, where is a line drawn between magick and meditation? The way I hear magick talked about is very mystical, which is why meditation is almost always involved. So are we changing things on a higher spiritual level, because from what I know many LHP followers are not really spiritual in any way.

Ah, ranting and no idea what I am trying to say.

Wakeup

Reject Superstition
So I see a lot of posts in the DIR about magick, doing rituals or ceremonies to cause change in your life. Some people seem to think of it in a supernatural way, which I am not really into. I recognize that the use of ritual and symbolism is extremely powerful psychologically, but what is that really accomplishing? Magick is a more complicated way of positive thinking, praying, wishing, hoping, etc it seems. I have also seen "rituals" where you simply light a candle in the dark and feel the powers of darkness, whatever that means to people.

So what is magick really? Is it simply a placebo effect of the mind? Personally, if nothing is actually happening I see no point in practicing it. Or, is it more like mysticism and meditation, tapping into something deeper than ourselves? If this is the case, where is a line drawn between magick and meditation? The way I hear magick talked about is very mystical, which is why meditation is almost always involved. So are we changing things on a higher spiritual level, because from what I know many LHP followers are not really spiritual in any way.

I was just introduced to magick the other day and immediately this was the first question I asked myself. I think the questions of what is beautiful, moral, pure and most importantly, true, are the only questions worth asking. I think achieving a certain "high" from altering biochemistry in the brain does somewhat of the opposite. To me it seems like magick is an escape from facing off with the questions that matter most. It seems your just altering physics in the brain, and then trying to explain that it goes beyond science, when really it is quite explainable why you feel the way you do. This is just my opinion after having read only briefly on magick, so I'm sure I sound very ignorant, but this question makes a lot of sense to me.

Last edited:

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
\So what is magick really? Is it simply a placebo effect of the mind? Personally, if nothing is actually happening I see no point in practicing it. Or, is it more like mysticism and meditation, tapping into something deeper than ourselves? If this is the case, where is a line drawn between magick and meditation? The way I hear magick talked about is very mystical, which is why meditation is almost always involved. So are we changing things on a higher spiritual level, because from what I know many LHP followers are not really spiritual in any way.

When meditation involves yidams/meditation Buddhas/tutelary deities, I would consider it magick. Otherwise it's just thought.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
the mind and its states are the magicians most useful tool

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
So what is magick really? Is it simply a placebo effect of the mind? Personally, if nothing is actually happening I see no point in practicing it.
Why do you assume that placebo effect means nothing's happening?

I can honestly say I've only meditated before, never done magick because magicians are too unworthy to teach me it themselves. I know it's all done in placebo though.

From my experience, meditation vs magick is like saying tabacco vs pot. Magick is a thousand times better, meditation is just meh.

The Sum of Awe

Friend TDoP,

Meditation is a state where the mind is free of all thoughts but the process one undergoes is akin to MAGICK. That is personal understanding!

Love & rgds

True, meditation is a form of magick, fruballs.

Student of X

Paradigm Shifter
True, meditation is a form of magick, fruballs.

Meditation is just one way of gaining altered states of consciousness. There are many ways. For instance the Ayahuasca I recommended to you.

Once you have chosen a way and have opened your minds eye, you will face the temptation to use your psychic power for personal gain. If what you want is power, you succumb and you are a magician. If what you want is wisdom, you resist and you are a mystic.

The Sum of Awe

Meditation is just one way of gaining altered states of consciousness. There are many ways. For instance the Ayahuasca I recommended to you.

Whenever I take drugs, and get something spiritual out of them, I don't believe it, so I can so I don't really want Ayahuasca for meditation when I can do it myself.

Once you have chosen a way and have opened your minds eye, you will face the temptation to use your psychic power for personal gain. If what you want is power, you succumb and you are a magician. If what you want is wisdom, you resist and you are a mystic.

lol, No.

Premium Member

This right here crops up in almost all mystical paths, especially Thelema which greatly helped form my view until I realized it was saying the same things in a Western way, which is unnecessary if you take time to understand. Once you reach a higher enlightened state there is the greatest difficulty of all; getting past one's own ego. Of course being completely egoless is neither realistic nor necessary I don't believe, but you can be lost in that illusion of premature enlightenment.

Infinitum

Possessed Bookworm
I got introduced to magick just a few months ago and what soon started to annoy me was the heavy emphasis on meditation and enlightement. I've read various takes on it now and the concept still has a tendency to evade me, seems I just can't wrap my mind around it properly. Being one with the universe is nice and all that, but is that the highest form of magic(k)? For me it seems a bit silly even when I know the theory behind it. But that's probably just because I value inside forces much more than possible outside ones.

I guess I'm a weird exception in that I started with hypnosis and trance states and then went naturally over to including meditation at some point. For me there's a huge difference between trance and meditation and for me it seems many describe magick more as trance than actual meditation. Meditation is going "out" of the mind, trance (hypnosis) going "in" to it.

Student of X

Paradigm Shifter
This right here crops up in almost all mystical paths, especially Thelema which greatly helped form my view until I realized it was saying the same things in a Western way, which is unnecessary if you take time to understand. Once you reach a higher enlightened state there is the greatest difficulty of all; getting past one's own ego. Of course being completely egoless is neither realistic nor necessary I don't believe, but you can be lost in that illusion of premature enlightenment.

I have some experience with ego anomalies. The Goddess has seen fit to give me a Smörgåsbord of mystical and paranormal experiences.

My advice would be to avoid trying to get past your ego with meditation and avoid trying with magic and instead make a pilgrimage to Peru or Arizona. Nature, fasting, and entheogen ingestion ceremonies on sacred ground.

Last edited:

Premium Member
I have some experience with ego anomalies. The Goddess has seen fit to give me a Smörgåsbord of mystical and paranormal experiences.

My advice would be to avoid trying to get past your ego with meditation and avoid trying with magic and instead make a pilgrimage to Peru or Arizona. Nature, fasting, and entheogen ingestion ceremonies on sacred ground.

I can get to Arizona easy enough. But should I find a shaman / mystic of some type?

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
So what is magick really? Is it simply a placebo effect of the mind? Personally, if nothing is actually happening I see no point in practicing it.

"Blessed is the man who knows these things, who has brought Heaven down upon Earth and has taken Earth and lifted it up unto Heaven, and has created thereby a Void for himself."

I would recommend a good study of the book "The Seven Faces of Darkness" written by Don Webb High Priest Emeritus of the Temple of Set.

Xeper.
/Adramelek\

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member

Thats not true. im a magician but i almost exclusively use magic for others. Though to be honest i prefer the title chaos shaman