• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mithras the true Savior

yoda89

On Xtended Vacation
I am here to enquire about the probability that Jesus is just simply stolen from the pagan concept of Mithras. Personally, after research all one has to do is see that Christainity came from the pagan Mithras.

Mithras offered and had all of the concepts before Christianity came about. So was Christianity simple stolen?

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
How much do we even know about Mithras? Last time I checked, details about this figure are scant. We know that Mithras wasn't born of a virgin, but born of a rock deep within a cave. He was also adapted by Roman mystery cults from Zoroastrianism. What else do we know about Mithras?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Be VERY careful when examining the various articles on the internet claiming that Jesus is just a rip-off from various other Gods; having looked at most of the claims, most of them are dubious at best.

If, however, it's an observation you made yourself, please share your findings.

outhouse

Atheistically
Many claim Mithras were later and copying Christianity.

There is so little credible information on Mithras as a whole, there is a lot of guessing.

They also worshipped much differently, little if any was similar

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
Alot of religions around the Mediterranean at that time had alot of ideas in common, Christianity included. There seems to be alot of borrowing going on, but it's hard to really say which way the borrowing was going. It's hard to say one way or another whether Christianity borrowed from the myths of Mithras, or the other way around. There's not a whole lot of information to go on when it comes to Mithras.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Alot of religions around the Mediterranean at that time had alot of ideas in common, Christianity included. There seems to be alot of borrowing going on, but it's hard to really say which way the borrowing was going. It's hard to say one way or another whether Christianity borrowed from the myths of Mithras, or the other way around. There's not a whole lot of information to go on when it comes to Mithras.

"A lot" is two words, not a conjunction.

(Somebody had to say it.)

Last edited:

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
Boo-hoo! How do you think we Hindus feel when no one gives us credit for having the original and true Mithras, aka MITRA?

If you were to transliterate my profile name it would read as "Maitra-Varunih" which would mean "Of Lord Shri Mitra and Lord Shri Varuna".

The Vedo-Indic compound "Mitra-Varuna" is older than Mithra (Zoroastrian, this one has an "h" after the "t") and Mithras (the Zoroastrian derived Romanic cult).

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
मैत्रावरुणिः;3457443 said:
If you were to transliterate my profile name...

Like any of us could actually do that.

yoda89

On Xtended Vacation
After further review they are indeed different. Yet, they seem to share many facts including the day of birth, day of rest, performance of miracles, etc. But again many ideas were different. However, researching it appears many of these religions are a combination of many cults. That's to be expected though.

ALOT(irk to the grammar nazis) of what मैत्रावरुणिः stated was true. It appears he was very prevalent west of Rome. Very interesting.

nash8

Da man, when I walk thru!
The day of birth also cordinates to another Roman "religion" that had nothing to do with Mithraism.
Sol Invictus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think the same goes for the day of rest.

I've also come to find that the Buddha believed in "supernatural powers". Performance of Miracles is prevalent in every religion ever created, in my opinon. I have yet to find one that doesn't have some sect that believes in the ability of humans to "perform Miracles".

Every religion

I researched this in my studies. The official answer from the Orthodox church is that Mithras was a Satanic counterfeit made up to try and turn people away from believing in Jesus however it wasn't before Christianity it popped up at the same time.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
I researched this in my studies. The official answer from the Orthodox church is that Mithras was a Satanic counterfeit made up to try and turn people away from believing in Jesus however it wasn't before Christianity it popped up at the same time.

Actually that is not correct. It was around long before Christianity, even if you don't trace it back to the ancient East .

“The devil led the heathen to anticipate Christ with respect to several things, as the mysteries of the Eucharistetc. "And this very solemnity (says St. Justin the evil spirit introduced into the mysteries of Mithra." (Reeves, Justin, p. 86)

"Therefore some spirit or other contrived the COUNTERFEIT that His image should be bought for blood, because he knew that the human race WAS AT SOME TIME to be redeemed by the precious blood. For evil spirits counterfeit certain shadows of honor to themselves, that they may deceive those who follow Christ.” Augustine

Obviously the church fathers knew Mithras was before Christianity.

The ancient historian Plutarch mentioned Mithraism in connection with the pirates of Cilicia in Asia Minor encountering the Roman general Pompey in 67 BC.

Tertullian –Praescr, ch 40 - says that the followers of Mithra practiced baptism by water, and made a sign on the forehead of the baptized person.

He appears to have lived an incarnate life on earth, and in some unknown manner to have suffered death for the good of mankind, an image symbolizing his resurrection being employed in his ceremonies. Tertullian, Praescr, ch. 40.

kalyan

Aspiring Sri VaishNava
It might be possible, but Mithra is one of the Adityas and is referred as sun god in ancient vedic texts!