• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MOON Landing?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The Soviet Union fell behind us in technology because of their economic and social system.

Also, the US has Florida.

Seriously: the extra "boost" that a rocket gets from the rotation of the Earth increases as you get closer to the equator. The fact that the Russians' launch site was so much further north meant that their rockets had to be significantly larger to do the same job.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member

Seriously: the extra "boost" that a rocket gets from the rotation of the Earth increases as you get closer to the equator. The fact that the Russians' launch site was so much further north meant that their rockets had to be significantly larger to do the same job.

Thank you for the new knowledge

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Thank you for the new knowledge
You're welcome!

Fun fact: when you're standing "still" on the Equator, the Earth is rotating you at about 900 km/h (IIRC) easterly.

That's quite a bit of a bonus when you're launching a rocket, especially since rockets have a bit of a "vicious circle" problem: to get them to have more total impulse (i.e. the thing that makes them go faster), they need to carry more fuel, which makes them weigh more, which means they need more fuel, which makes them weigh more, etc., etc.

Edit: as massive as the Saturn V was, it still looks kinda small when you see a picture of it side by side with a Soviet N-1. Those things were massive... which meant that the Russians had more technological problems to overcome than the Apollo program did, even notwithstanding the other issues going on in the Soviet Union.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe

Also, their rockets were built by dirty pinko commies.

(jk)

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
Some say it's expense. But any excuse may serve a liar. They lie. How can you believe anything they say?

Anyway, I want proof that Europeans "discovered" and "colonized" the Americas. I don't buy into that so called "history" and so called "mounds of evidence" crap. ( Where? ) There is more "evidence" of manned lunar landings than there is for "discovery" or "colonization" of the Americas. Some Brazilian sailor Amerigo Vespucci made up the whole story and the "New World" was named after him in honor of his amazing hill of bull crap. Sailors are known liars and make stuff up all the time ( probably all the alcohol, scurvy and syphilis in the brain ). So what?

Europeans have always been here! And we probably didn't get to the moon because sailors are too drunk and crazy to start out with.

Last edited:

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Europeans have always been here! And we probably didn't get to the moon because sailors are too drunk and crazy to start out with.

That reminds me of a joke.

So, two Irish guys walk by a bar...

...:biglaugh:

(I'm Irish btw, before anyone gets offended :p)

[youtube]ECkA216RL4Y[/youtube]

(Gotta turn the volume up, couldn't find a better quality example...)

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
That reminds me of a joke.

So, two Irish guys walk by a bar...

...:biglaugh:

(I'm Irish btw, before anyone gets offended :p)

[youtube]ECkA216RL4Y[/youtube]

(Gotta turn the volume up, couldn't find a better quality example...)

So that explains it. Ireland was Atlantis until whiskey. :p

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist

Guess they should've used Cuba. Still doubt they would have been successful.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
You're welcome!

Fun fact: when you're standing "still" on the Equator, the Earth is rotating you at about 900 km/h (IIRC) easterly.

That's quite a bit of a bonus when you're launching a rocket, especially since rockets have a bit of a "vicious circle" problem: to get them to have more total impulse (i.e. the thing that makes them go faster), they need to carry more fuel, which makes them weigh more, which means they need more fuel, which makes them weigh more, etc., etc.

Edit: as massive as the Saturn V was, it still looks kinda small when you see a picture of it side by side with a Soviet N-1. Those things were massive... which meant that the Russians had more technological problems to overcome than the Apollo program did, even notwithstanding the other issues going on in the Soviet Union.
Another problem with the N-1 was the sheer number of engines the Russians used. In comparison:
N-1 First stage: 30 engines!
Saturn V First stage: 5 engines.

Starting a liquid propellant rocket engine is not some simple process. Many things can go wrong and cause the engine to fail and not ignite. The US only had to worry about getting 5 engines to ignite. The Russians had to worry about 6 times as many engines.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
We went to the moon. There's plenty of evidence that we did and no evidence that we didn't.

Anyone disagrees, show me something that says we didn't go to the moon and I'll tell you why it's wrong.

I already did, the moon, because it's made of green cheese, is problematic to a shuttle landing.

Tiberius

One of the best evidences for the actual manned landing of the moon, aside from what's already been talked about here, is the sheer volume of lunar rocks we brought back.

You can't really fake a lunar rock in an undetectable way (they're older than the oldest Earth rocks since Earth is geologically active), and even if we're willing to suppose an unmanned lander brought them back then you should know that the maximum carrying capacity of even the largest landers is a few pounds at most -- and we brought back over EIGHT HUNDRED pounds of lunar rock (over all the Apollo missions, though this figure does include some unmanned missions, American and Soviet). It's simply not possible for unmanned probes to bring back all of that. That amount requires a manned mission with human hands to pick up some of the samples.

Of course, if a conspiracy theorist is faced with undeniable proof that the moon rocks are genuine, they can easily claims, "So what? We can send robots to the moon to bring back rocks. But we never sent PEOPLE to the moon."

No, I'm afraid that the validity of moon rocks will not sway the opinions of someone who is convinced that we never went to the moon.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
i went to the moon once and then ate space cake... wait maybe that happend the other way around

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger
Oh people people people! LOL! Some of you take me for stupid, I think! LOL - I fully understand the logistics, distances, etc... Oh, people! Seriously? Wow, I didn't think this OP would work up a frenzy so much! :) I love it and have read every post! (and I told you the photo-faking conspiracy crowd would show up eventually) Great thread everybody, I really have enjoyed reading all this!

And Australlia is just a MYTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!