• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Morality

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Not to digress from the OP, but how can a being of infinite wisdom and understanding be "hurt" by anything? I always found it odd how religions attribute fragile ego/emotions to god.

It is actually we theists putting our fragile egos onto God. We don't understand God well enough to know if He really can be hurt or not. We make these assumptions out of our own understanding.

KnightOwl

I don't see the world as black and white, yet I very rarely encounter a moral situation which requires any deliberation.

Very true. However there are times and certain areas of endeavor where they pop up more often than others. The whole area of science developing around genetics is one.

When presented with complex issues of international conflict, the moral choice may not be clear and indeed all viable choices may be immoral in one way or another.

Nooj

none
All through your life people punish and reward you based on your actions. Our caretakers probably are the greatest influence on our morals based on how we judge their actions with us.

But even past them how you act in front of your peers and there responce influences your morals.

For most of us our goal is to fit in with society and those we like not to distance ourselves from them to do this we have to be acceptable to the ones we like this forces a moral code on us.

All my experiences, with parents, siblings, friends, aquaitances, coworkers created and modifies my moral code.
Thank you, I definitely agree with what you're saying.

Are different experiences in life the reason why people murder, steal and are generally 'immoral'?

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Are different experiences in life the reason why people murder, steal and are generally 'immoral'?
I would say that it is ONE of the reasons.

I would also not discount medical reasons, ego reasons, etc.

ellenjanuary

the world does not weigh against her single tear

Forgive me, but I love that line; and if you do not have a variation of this line, you have no morality. What you have, is evolutionary imperative. What you are, to me, is hope; and me and my line, should be seen to you - who debate morality - as a chilling glimpse into the depths of medieval righteousness.

chinu

chinu
How do you decide whether something is right, wrong, good, bad, useful, unuseful and so forth? Where do you get your morality from?

Exactly from where you are getting morality to post this thread, :)

Anyhow, Good moral Question ? :D:D:D

_/\_
Chinu

ellenjanuary

I don't understand this line though. What does it mean?

Other translations include: thou shalt have no god before me, family first, and look out for number one. The only absolute held by morality is within the individual, the absolute bottom line. When institutions attempt to co-opt this functionality, sects occur.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
People have a need for each other. Different people have different talents. There are more than enough people now, but there were fewer the farther back you go. If you, say, had a talent for making clothing but no talent for hunting, you could trade making clothes with someone for food and animal skins or whatever. This need was probably the birth of morality. If you had a set number of people, some hunters, some tailors, some cooks, some shelter builder, etc. then you would need each person because if you killed someone or did something to cause the other person either physical or emotional harm, then you could not trade talents with each other.

waitasec

Veteran Member
People have a need for each other. Different people have different talents. There are more than enough people now, but there were fewer the farther back you go. If you, say, had a talent for making clothing but no talent for hunting, you could trade making clothes with someone for food and animal skins or whatever. This need was probably the birth of morality. If you had a set number of people, some hunters, some tailors, some cooks, some shelter builder, etc. then you would need each person because if you killed someone or did something to cause the other person either physical or emotional harm, then you could not trade talents with each other.

exactly.
morality derived from tribal survival instincts.

gnomon

How do you decide whether something is right, wrong, good, bad, useful, unuseful and so forth? Where do you get your morality from?

I just rely on the first book I pick up every morning. One day I wiped out an entire culture. The next I gave all my money away. I keep religious texts buried in boxes these days and make sure Bloom County is always near at hand.

If I can't rely on a book I just default to my peoplism. In any decision I will always side on what is best for "my people". Because there is no morality like some good ol' xenophobic morality.

Nooj

none
Reason and compassion.
Should everyone have the same morality? Humans don't reason in the same way, we're liable to come to some pretty different conclusions.

Also, do you value reason and compassion as equally important? Or is one better than the other?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Should everyone have the same morality? Humans don't reason in the same way, we're liable to come to some pretty different conclusions.

And yet we live in the same world, share the same resources (both natural and artificial) and impact on each other with our acts and decisions, so morality can never truly be oblivious to others.

Also, do you value reason and compassion as equally important? Or is one better than the other?

Speaking for myself, reason is dominant for various reasons. One of them is that reason leads to and supports compassion, while the reverse is not necessarily true.

diosangpastol

Dios - ang - Pastol
is morality subjective?
can we ever agree on something about morality?

are there actions that are inherently evil, for example, murder or rape, or are these actions ever be justified as right?

waitasec

Veteran Member
is morality subjective?
can we ever agree on something about morality?

are there actions that are inherently evil, for example, murder or rape, or are these actions ever be justified as right?

read the OT
:facepalm:

the bronze age ideals of morality;
if god says it's ok then it's ok...

Last edited: