• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mormons; the Problem of Iron, Alcohol & the Wheel

Sapiens

Polymathematician
This is just another variant on the 'if you don't believe you can't see" scam. Belief will not produce elephants, horses or steel or any of the other myriad of missing things, though it may produce a delusional belief in the existence of evidence of such items, grounded solely in the premise that you can't prove a negative, which while true, does nothing what-so-ever to actually demonstrate the positive.

Skeptics may see it as a scam, but for many of us it is as obvious as anything else. "Seeing is believing", goes the old adage, but that isn't really true. I have presented photographic evidence, and it doesn't seem to have made a bit of difference. Religious conviction doesn't come from photographs; but from one's efforts to gain a relationship with God. It is only after the trial of one's faith, that faith turns to knowledge.
No. Skeptics can demonstrate, with empirical evidence, that it is a scam ... that is what this thread has been about. Skeptics have repeatedly demonstrated that the Book of Mormon contains anachronisms and falsities that reveal it as the product of a con man at work. That is the elephant standing in the room and it would be generous to say that you have even succeeded in trimming it's nails.
The first step towards receiving revelation is to study the question. There must be a question, and it can't be trivial. When Joseph Smith went into the forest, he wanted to know which church to join. Before he went, he attempted to find the answer for himself by attending various churches, and listening to their views on the Bible. He did his due diligence, but concluded that there was no way for him to find an answer to the problem, as the various churches understood the same passages of scripture so differently as to destroy any hope of an appeal to the Bible.
While you obviously believe that, but give those facts that can be proven, it ppears far more likely that Smith's real question was how to best slake his lust first for other peoples' money and later for other peoples' wives.
The second step towards receiving revelation is to prepare oneself with the proper attitude. One has to be sincere, with real intent. God doesn't respond to people who don't really care about the answer, or who don't intend to do anything with the information. Joseph Smith really wanted to know the truth of the matter, and was willing to join which ever church that God indicated. One must also prepare the mind by remembering the things that God has done to benefit mankind, in order to have a feeling of gratitude.
The third step, is to humble oneself and pray. Joseph Smith selected a private spot in the woods, where he wouldn't be interrupted, and when he had no other chores to do. He chose a peaceful spot where nothing would distract him. Then he knelt down, and prayed outloud, pettitioning God the Father, in the name of Jesus Christ. In his case, he was immediately attacked by a dark presence that had such power as to stop him from talking outloud. He continued to pray with all of his heart silently, until he was released from the being who had him bound. At that moment, he saw two beings standing above him in the air.
These steps are the basic steps to receive revelation from God, and I believe they will work with almost anyone. I know that they work for me. I haven't seen any visions, but visions are only one form of revelation. There are others. Perhaps the most common is the burning in the bosom, when the Holy Ghost testifies to our heart that something is true. If something is not true, a feeling of emptiness ensues. Less common, is hearing a voice in one's mind. Even less common, is hearing an audible voice. Another type of revelation, requires one to learn the language of the Holy Ghost. This takes a great deal of time and practice.
You are confusing heartburn for revelation, when you get to hearing voices that no one else hears ... that's a problem that can be solved by adjusting the serotonin levels in your brain, though that does take some trial and error to get the dose right.
To answer your second question, the evidence of a relationship between any two people, whether one is God or not, is the exchange of something. We can exchange pleasantries, for example, without much of a relationship at all. We carry groceries to the checkout, at which point the clerk asks for money, and then we exchange the money for the groceries. It isn't very personal, but it is a relationship. Couples exchange intimacies, and talents, and positive energy. My relationship with God is evidenced by my service and devotion to him, and the service and devotion that he has given me. We call it charity, the pure love of Christ. You may ask me what service and devotion God has given me, but it is an intensely personal question, and I am reticent to give a detailed answer. On a daily basis, he encourages me and comforts me. He helps me face life, particularly when I really don't want to. I talk to him, and he talks to me; there is often an exchange of ideas. He has taught me things that I never would have thought of on my own. I bring questions to him, which he usually answers, and I sometimes ask for special favors, which he also grants. I was afraid that my life was over, when I was diagnosed with an incurable and fatal disease. I still had so much more that I wanted to do in life. So I asked for, and received, a special blessing. The disease was taken away entirely. That was 15 years ago. Today, I continue to feel fine. I am deeply grateful, but I am not astonished. I have seen many people with serious ailments healed by the power of a blessing. When the heavens are open, miracles become common place. I have experienced greater things than these, but I can't - won't - share them over a public forum such as this. Go into any LDS meetinghouse, when services are held, and ask the members for their stories; you will find out that my stories are not unusual. You may have trouble believing their stories, but if you look into their eyes, you will know that they believe them.
I too was afflicted, in my youth, with a disease that is almost universally fatal. In spite of the complete absence of prayer, with no available medical treatment, and to the great surprise of everyone concerned, I made a full and complete recovery. It was the luck of the draw, not unheard of, but so passing rare that had I been a believer going in, I'm sure that I'd have seen my complete recovery as you did your's, as a belief reinforcing miracle. That would have been a delusion that would have been hard to escape.

Outhouse is right when he suggests that:
You cannot make excuses for peddling pseudoscience and pseudohistory because of what most call religious mythology.
I would add to that, from personal experience, that you cannot make excuses for peddling pseudoscience and pseudohistory because of some good luck. Your low probability recovery does not produce elephants, horses, steel, etc. In fact, it is just a red herring with no relation to the questions at hand.[/QUOTE]

Harsh. I'm not making excuses. Excuses imply that I have done something wrong. I make no apologies for sharing the things that I know. If one wants to be difficult, they can call any science pseudoscience and any history pseudohistory. Clearly, you want to be difficult. Nothing that I say is going to persuade you that the Book of Mormon is a true history, and nothing that you say is going to persuade me that it isn't.
You are making excuses ... that's what apologetics is at the root ... excuse making. You even recognize that you have done something wrong when you disparage empirical rationality with statements like:

"... nothing that you say is going to persuade me that it isn't."

or:

"... if the Book of Mormon states that the Jaredites had iron swords and that there were horses and elephants, then I believe it."

In other words, you are like Earl Landgrebe, the congressman who famously showed his support of Richard Nixon at the Watergate Hearings by stating, "Don't confuse me with the facts. I've got a closed mind."
I've seen too much to be taken in by ill-mannered skeptics. If one tries to scrub LDS history of all revelation, miracles, etc., they will end up with a history that doesn't make any sense, and doesn't relay anything of importance. History is a continual stream of cause and effect. A deer jumps out into the road, the driver swerves, the car hits a tree. Take out the deer, and the remaining events don't add up.
You hit the nail on the head, yet fail to grasp that fact. Mormonism is self scrubbing, it contains, within its own scripture, the "removal of the deer," and thus, taken as a whole, as you say, "the remaining events don't add up." With the falsification of the elephants, the horses, the steel, etc., the remaining events are not to be believed.

Sapiens

Polymathematician
The first vision, the vision where the 3 witnesses saw the gold plates and the angel Moroni, the vision where Joseph Smith and Olver Cowdery saw Peter, James and John, the vision where Sydney Rigdon and Joseph Smith saw Jesus standing in the Kirtland Temple; take these away or call them "religious mythology", and LDS history suddenly becomes incomprehensible. The unusual conviction of the members of the LDS church are a direct result of those spiritual experiences and many others. When Joseph Smith healed Mary Johnson's withered arm, her two friends, one an avowed atheist, and the other a minister, were standing right there. They both knew that she had been unable to use that arm for many years. Nothing explains the sheer audacity of Joseph Smith to command the arm to be made whole, unless he had already experienced the aforementioned visions and revelations. Take away the spiritual, the miracle, the revelations, and LDS history becomes a "pseudohistory", and no other explanation satisfies. Joseph Smith, knowing that he was going to his death, sought comfort by reading the Book of Mormon. Without the visions, the revelations, the miracles, the visitation of angels, his actions make no sense at all.
I understand you are loath to see Mormonism revealed as a con man's craft but that is a far more reasonable explanation that all the mumbo jumbo and is far more in keeping with the facts as they are known. It is often said that, ""the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior." Take the actual facts, as best they can be determined and apply Occam's Razor, the result is obvious.
No comfort would be sought from a fake. His whole life, from the time he was 25, was a living testimony to those things that he held most dear, and it wasn't money or power. He struggled every day to establish the kingdom of God on earth, as directed by God. He was constantly persecuted, both by mobs and by the legal system; as he was sued over 39 times. He spent months in prison, without so much as a hearing before a judge, and yet even then he was busy directing the affairs of the fledgling church, receiving revelations from God to guide the leadership of the church. Without revelation, without visions, without the visitation of angels, nothing in Joseph Smiths actions make much sense. So don't talk to me about selling "pseudohistory". It is you that is peddling a history that completely ignores the pertinent facts, if you don't acknowledge the effects of such spiritual phenonema.
There is no need to invoke the effects of "supernatural phenomena" except to put a holy patina on Smith's all too human failings. It is a standard cult tactic, explaining why outhouse makes the comparison to Scientology:
Either does scientology, but people have faith in that to.
I don't have faith in Mormonism. That ended a long time ago when it was replaced with a sure knowledge.
There you go (again) with a construct that has no basis in rational fact. First show me the elephants, the horses, the steel, etc. They we can talk about "sure knowledge."
and whether you actually hold belief, delusion or something else.
No one has a sure knowledge that scientology is the one true church of Jesus Christ. Not one. No one has a sure knowledge that Catholoicism is true, or Protestentism, least of all those who have worked as priests most of their lives. Even Mother Teresa didn't have a sure knowledge, and acknowledged as much. They may have convictions of certain true principles, as truth can be found in many places, but they do not know nor claim that their churches are led by Jesus Christ through revelation given to living emissaries.
There you are wrong, Jesus, per se, is irrelevant. Each religion has at its core a "sure knowledge" of something that is in dispute by other religions and your claim to "sure knowledge" goes way down on the list of probables, if just on the basis of primogeniture.

rrosskopf

LDS High Priest
There you are wrong, Jesus, per se, is irrelevant. Each religion has at its core a "sure knowledge" of something that is in dispute by other religions and your claim to "sure knowledge" goes way down on the list of probables, if just on the basis of primogeniture.
The Catholics claim to trace their leadership to Peter. I believe it. It makes not a bit of difference. Peter didn't stop them from selling repentance. Peter didn't stop them from starting holy wars. Peter didn't stop them from torturing the Knights Templar and stealing their money. Protestants claim that Catholic history and Papal decrees can't be trusted as a source of truth. Again, I agree completely. It is also irrelevant. Neither believe in modern revelation, and a church that isn't run by Christ really isn't his church. They are more like museums to a past that has been long lost to history. It is precisely because of the many angels that appeared to Joseph Smith and others, that gives the Latter-Day Saint movement credibility. It is because of the visions and revelations that men had the faith to endure the great hardships that were put upon them by the torch bearing mobs. Brigham Young and Heber C. Kimball both witnessed a vision before they had learned of the fledgling church. On September 22, 1827, and from their respective farms(45 miles apart; they didn't know each other), they watched the night sky with their families, and neighbors as an army of men, marched across the sky and into the horizon, where the noise of a great battle could be heard. They watched the vision for hours, not knowing what it meant. Neither knew the Prophet Joseph Smith, nor that he had received the gold plates on that very day. The church wasn't being restored by Joseph Smith, but by God, through Joseph Smith. It is not a man-made church. It is the stone cut out of the mountain without hands, prophesied by Daniel. One of the witnesses to the Book of Mormon, was a Protestant minister who was visited by the angel Moroni in his barn. One simply cannot pretend that the Mormon phenomena was dreamed up wholey and independently by Joseph Smith. He was the main cog, but he wasn't the only one. Visions were being poured out on many men.

Sapiens

Polymathematician
The Catholics claim to trace their leadership to Peter. I believe it. It makes not a bit of difference. Peter didn't stop them from selling repentance. Peter didn't stop them from starting holy wars. Peter didn't stop them from torturing the Knights Templar and stealing their money. Protestants claim that Catholic history and Papal decrees can't be trusted as a source of truth. Again, I agree completely. It is also irrelevant. Neither believe in modern revelation, and a church that isn't run by Christ really isn't his church. They are more like museums to a past that has been long lost to history.
I suppose you think that you're making some sort of point here, what it is completely escapes me.
It is precisely because of the many angels that appeared to Joseph Smith and others, that gives the Latter-Day Saint movement credibility.
Credibility? No, thje claim creates confusion and belongs somewhere between outright con job and deranged belief, in either case ... not credible.
It is because of the visions and revelations that men had the faith to endure the great hardships that were put upon them by the torch bearing mobs. Brigham Young and Heber C. Kimball both witnessed a vision before they had learned of the fledgling church.
On September 22, 1827, and from their respective farms(45 miles apart; they didn't know each other), they watched the night sky with their families, and neighbors as an army of men, marched across the sky and into the horizon, where the noise of a great battle could be heard. They watched the vision for hours, not knowing what it meant. Neither knew the Prophet Joseph Smith, nor that he had received the gold plates on that very day. The church wasn't being restored by Joseph Smith, but by God, through Joseph Smith. It is not a man-made church.
You really believe this unsupported and unsupportable claptrap? That is what is amazing.
It is the stone cut out of the mountain without hands, prophesied by Daniel.
When you are reduced to interpretations of prophesy you've sunk to the bottom of the barrel of religious justifications.
One of the witnesses to the Book of Mormon, was a Protestant minister who was visited by the angel Moroni in his barn. One simply cannot pretend that the Mormon phenomena was dreamed up wholey and independently by Joseph Smith. He was the main cog, but he wasn't the only one. Visions were being poured out on many men.
I'd say that a man who was duped by religion once is ever-so-much-more likely to be duped by religion twice. The pretense required is that the Book of Mormon "witnesses" were both competent and disinterested while the reality was that they were neither.

But ... here you go again, attempting to use your standard technique of flying off on tangents that can not be proven one way or another. Please stick to addressing what has been identified as the demonstrable lies of the Book of Mormon ... elephants, horses, steel, etc. That's the topic of this thread, much evidence has been brought to bear on this issues, none of it favorable to demonstrating the Book of Mormons verisimilitude.

rrosskopf

LDS High Priest
You really believe this unsupported and unsupportable claptrap?
Is its supported by first hand eye witness testimony. The trouble is that you think all these people just decided to lie, changing their entire lives for something they didn't really believe in. That is the hard sell. Their words are backed up by their deeds. Profound spiritual experiences are evidenced by testimony and by actions, not by xrays or microscopes.

prometheus11

Is its supported by first hand eye witness testimony. The trouble is that you think all these people just decided to lie, changing their entire lives for something they didn't really believe in. That is the hard sell. Their words are backed up by their deeds. Profound spiritual experiences are evidenced by testimony and by actions, not by xrays or microscopes.

You do realize this is the exact argument used by hundreds of other religions, don't you?

rrosskopf

LDS High Priest
But ... here you go again, attempting to use your standard technique of flying off on tangents that can not be proven one way or another. Please stick to addressing what has been identified as the demonstrable lies of the Book of Mormon ... elephants, horses, steel, etc. That's the topic of this thread
That is the whole point! You would have me ignore first hand eye-witness testimony of the witnesses, photographic evidence, textual evidence, and linguistic evidence in favor of the opinions of critics, on whether there were horses, elephants, steel, etc. in precolumbian America!

rrosskopf

LDS High Priest
You do realize this is the exact argument used by hundreds of other religions, don't you?
Really? Hundreds of other religions have multiple first hand eye witness accounts to supernatural events involving the discovery of an ancient record of scripture in modern times? I'd love to hear about them.
I don't dismiss the idea that people throughout the world have had visions, revelations, and such, and that each learned important things from those events, but none of that speaks to whether the Book of Mormon is an authentic ancient American record.

prometheus11

Really? Hundreds of other religions have multiple first hand eye witness accounts to supernatural events involving the discovery of an ancient record of scripture in modern times? I'd love to hear about them.
I don't dismiss the idea that people throughout the world have had visions, revelations, and such, and that each learned important things from those events, but none of that speaks to whether the Book of Mormon is an authentic ancient American record.

Yes. Plenty of other religions claim eye witnesses and miracles.

Sapiens

Polymathematician
"First hand eye witness testimony" is notoriously unreliable. "Xrays or microscopes" are very reliable. Why would you choose the less reliable method? I have no first hand knowledge as to why these people decided to lie, I suspect that it was delusional rather than lying. Lots of nuts back their words up with deeds ... Jonestown, Solar Temple, Heavens Gate, to name a few ... all these people backed up their words with their very lives, does that add or detract from their claims?

rrosskopf

LDS High Priest
"First hand eye witness testimony" is notoriously unreliable. "Xrays or microscopes" are very reliable. Why would you choose the less reliable method?
No one has figured out a way to kidnap an angel and examine them under a microscope, nor do I think they would willingly submit to such a procedure. And other than the existence of angels, it wouldn't teach us a thing. It doesn't answer the single most important question. Can we trust them? Are they reliable? Do they really have insight into the future? I doubt they would trust us if we tried to kidnap them.

rrosskopf

LDS High Priest
Lots of nuts back their words up with deeds ... Jonestown, Solar Temple, Heavens Gate, to name a few ... all these people backed up their words with their very lives, does that add or detract from their claims?
People will take action on things that they believe in, even they believe in delusions or philosophies. You take great stock in science, but science has had its share of delusions and philosophies as well. Are you suggesting then that Joseph Smith and all the other witnesses were under some type of delusion? The theory only sounds plausible on the surface. There are too many witnesses, and too many detailed accounts to chalk it all up to delusion, nor does delusion explain all the known evidence. It's a half theory at best. So when Joseph Smith labored every day, for many hours in translation, was that a delusion? According to witnesses he never returned to a verse once it was recorded correctly. Was that a delusion too? He was never seen with so much as a piece of paper. Was that a delusion? His wife sometimes picked up the gold plates and moved them while dusting; was that a delusion? She didn't actually see them, as they were kept under a thin cloth, but she said that she felt the metallic edges and heard the rustle of pages; was that a delusion? When Joseph Smith approached three witnesses, as prophecied in the Book of Mormon itself, and told them that they would see an angel and the gold plates, how did he then cause the delusion? Can you recreate it? Has anyone ever recreated it? And when I look at those photographs of the Egyptian Demotic that look identical to those on the Anthon transcript, is that a delusion too? At what point does it stop being a delusion?

Last edited:

rrosskopf

LDS High Priest
Yes. Plenty of other religions claim eye witnesses and miracles.
There aren't as many as you think. Most religions are based on mythology. They claim that ancestors were witnesses, based on something written and passed down through the ages, but the original statements have long since disappeared, and all that is left is the myth. That isn't the case with Mormonism. The restoration of the Lord's church happened in modern times while the world watched.

prometheus11

There aren't as many as you think. Most religions are based on mythology. They claim that ancestors were witnesses, based on something written and passed down through the ages, but the original statements have long since disappeared, and all that is left is the myth. That isn't the case with Mormonism. The restoration of the Lord's church happened in modern times while the world watched.

Your "original statements" don't work for you.

Sapiens

Polymathematician
No one has figured out a way to kidnap an angel and examine them under a microscope, nor do I think they would willingly submit to such a procedure. And other than the existence of angels, it wouldn't teach us a thing. It doesn't answer the single most important question. Can we trust them? Are they reliable? Do they really have insight into the future? I doubt they would trust us if we tried to kidnap them.
So, baring a kidnapped angel (on a par with trapping a unicorn) you are advancing an argument from ignorance, good show!
People will take action on things that they believe in, even they believe in delusions or philosophies. You take great stock in science, but science has had its share of delusions and philosophies as well.
Science, however, is self repairing ... religion just digs the hole of ignorance deeper, witness our current conversation.
Are you suggesting then that Joseph Smith and all the other witnesses were under some type of delusion?
It is a sustainable hypothesis.
The theory only sounds plausible on the surface. There are too many witnesses, and too many detailed accounts to chalk it all up to delusion, ...
I respectful disagree.
... nor does delusion explain all the known evidence.
Quite right, but it explains all the known evidence far better than you and your fellow travelers do.
It's a half theory at best. So when Joseph Smith labored every day, for many hours in translation, was that a delusion?
Again, you are correct, it is a half theory, the other half is outright fraud ... the explanation that I find most probable.
According to witnesses he never returned to a verse once it was recorded correctly. Was that a delusion too? He was never seen with so much as a piece of paper. Was that a delusion?
Not that the "witnesses" are, of necessity, to be believed ... but that "testimony" were it to be credited, suggests fraud more then delusion.
His wife sometimes picked up the gold plates and moved them while dusting; was that a delusion? She didn't actually see them, as they were kept under a thin cloth, but she said that she felt the metallic edges and heard the rustle of pages; was that a delusion?
Since the weight would be between 30 and 1,200 lbs., most likely on the order of 60 lbs, that sounds most likely like fraud perpetrated upon her. Note that Widtsoe and Harris, in Seven Claims of the Book of Mormon: A Collection of Evidences, write: "For the purpose of record keeping, plates made of gold mixed with a certain amount of copper would be better, for such plates would be firmer, more durable and generally more suitable for the work in hand. If the plates were made of eight karat gold, which is gold frequently used in present-day jewelry, and allowing a 10 percent space between the leaves, the total weight of the plates would not be above one hundred and seventeen pounds—a weight easily carried by aman as strong as was Joseph Smith."
When Joseph Smith approached three witnesses, as prophecied in the Book of Mormon itself, and told them that they would see an angel and the gold plates, how did he then cause the delusion?
Again, on the face of it, fraud is more likely, but group delusions are not unknown.
Can you recreate it? Has anyone ever recreated it?
I can not, but then I am not a con-man ... perhaps you should ask an expert like "The Amazing Randi," or Elmer Gantry.
And when I look at those photographs of the Egyptian Demotic that look identical to those on the Anthon transcript, is that a delusion too?
Willful self-delusion is most likely since: (1) The papyri scrolls date to approximately 2,000 years after the time when Abraham lived; (2) Nothing in the extant papyri scrolls has anything to do with Abraham or the Book of Abraham (the scroll from which the Book of Abraham was translated is a standard Egyptian funerary document); (3) Joseph’s translations of the Book of Abraham Facsimiles 1-3 are completely inaccurate and amount to gibberish; (4) Joseph’s additions of text and drawings to the facsimiles are plagiarism or nonsense; (5) Joseph himself claimed that the Lord revealed to him that the papyri contained the writings of Abraham.
At what point does it stop being a delusion?
When you stop cherry-picking arguments from your book that are not even relevant and that just waste everyone's time. Deal with the original issues before you ask us to debunk an ever expanding list of claims. Where are the elephants, where are the horses, where is the steel, etc.

Last edited:

rrosskopf

LDS High Priest
Willful self-delusion is most likely since: (1) The papyri scrolls date to approximately 2,000 years after the time when Abraham lived; (2) Nothing in the extant papyri scrolls has anything to do with Abraham or the Book of Abraham (the scroll from which the Book of Abraham was translated is a standard Egyptian funerary document); (3) Joseph’s translations of the Book of Abraham Facsimiles 1-3 are completely inaccurate and amount to gibberish; (4) Joseph’s additions of text and drawings to the facsimiles are plagiarism or nonsense; (5) Joseph himself claimed that the Lord revealed to him that the papyri contained the writings of Abraham.
The Anthon transcipt is the transcription of characters from the Book of Mormon, and has nothing to do with the Joseph Smith Papyri. Did you even look at the photos?

rrosskopf

LDS High Priest
Deal with the original issues before you ask us to debunk an ever expanding list of claims.
The original issues? Gold plates, stone boxes and seer stones were the original issues, unless of course you are only referring to the horses, etc. which were cherry-picked for this thread...
The Mayan did make gold plates, stone boxes, and they did use seer stones or vision crystals. Everything that Joseph Smith found is consistent with what we know of Central America. In fact, many examples of stone boxes can be found throughout Meso-American and North America. The stone box was there for years before a rainstorm washed it away. Several books written on metal plates have been found in the Middle east dating back to the time of Lehi, so the biggest anachronism of the Book of Mormon has long since been laid to rest.

Sapiens

Polymathematician
The Anthon transcipt is the transcription of characters from the Book of Mormon, and has nothing to do with the Joseph Smith Papyri. Did you even look at the photos?
Sure, they are irrelevant to the conversation, the papyrii and such are just supporting evidence for the likeliness of your self-delusion.
The original issues? Gold plates, stone boxes and seer stones were the original issues, unless of course you are only referring to the horses, etc. which were cherry-picked for this thread...
Yes, the original issues (the OP) where the horses, etc. which you have yet to make any sense of. Of course they were cherry-picked for this thread, they are the most clearly definable lies in the Book of Mormon. Perhaps that's why you continue to duck them and to drag rotting red herrings across the trail.
The Mayan did make gold plates, stone boxes, and they did use seer stones or vision crystals. Everything that Joseph Smith found is consistent with what we know of Central America. In fact, many examples of stone boxes can be found throughout Meso-American and North America. The stone box was there for years before a rainstorm washed it away. Several books written on metal plates have been found in the Middle east dating back to the time of Lehi, so the biggest anachronism of the Book of Mormon has long since been laid to rest.
Laid to rest? Hardly. Those are straw-men that you introduced, designed to distract from the issues the tread was started to address, that you are unable to answer except in a fashion depauperate of fact. Once again where are the donkeys,where are the cattle, where are the horses,where are the oxen, where are the domestic sheep, where are the swine, where are the goats, where are the elephants, where is the wheat, where is the barley, where is the silk, where are the swords, where are the scimitars, where are the chariots, were are the metal smelting furnaces? Your apologist crap doesn't wash, there is no evidence of any of these items, all you can do is say that Smith made an honest mistake and was confused ... give it a rest.

rrosskopf

LDS High Priest
You are confusing heartburn for revelation, when you get to hearing voices that no one else hears
I've had heartburn many times. It was never accompanied with voices. Nor did it feel anything like the Holy Ghost. It sounds like you are desperate to believe that your reality is more real than mine, that your lack of perception somehow trumps my perception. Yet many times the Holy Ghost has led me to do things that have changed peoples lives for the better. At first I kind of fought with it, but now I've grown to trust it. It has also revealed to me future events, that I have watched take place. That is rare; I'm not the mage of all things future; but it has proven itself to me. My faith consists of trusting a being that does exist, and not in believing in a being who may or may not exist. It has also taught me things about human nature, and revealed the meaning of obscure scriptures, and even helped me shop. It lifts me up when I'm depressed, and inspires me to achieve more than my own nature would conceive. It has filled me with indescribable happiness on occasion and is a constant source of encouragement. Without it, my life would be but a shadow of what it is, and my past a shadow of what it could have been.
I am nothing special. You too could lead a life where you knew there was a God, a life where you would be continually inspired by the Holy Ghost, touching the lives of others deeply and profoundly. Your peers might then believe that you are completely crazy, but one person - you - the person that matters, would not. You could know just as assuredly as I know, that the universe is not without love, and not without intelligence.

rrosskopf

LDS High Priest
Of course they were cherry-picked for this thread, they are the most clearly definable lies in the Book of Mormon.
Not lies, just details that go against popular opinions, as I have already pointed out, and as you have grudgingly acknowledged. In this case, the expert opinion is being drawn from a scarcity of data, and that is problematic. It is also being drawn from old prejudices which still color the philosophy of many scientists. Can you explain just how ancient people crossed a two mile high ice sheet for over two thousand miles, ending up in America at the end of the last ice age?
Things that are rare, will usually show up as anachronisms in ancient literature. There is nothing in the Book of Mormon that would suggest that these things - horses, metal swords, elephants - weren't rare. If we can't find a wooden sword, or a book, when they were once ubiquitous, then what chance do we have of finding something truly rare? Was every royal tomb raided? The Book of Mormon was right about that. Mesoamerica was a country of kings and lessor kings. Were they not entombed with their wooden swords and precious books? Did Cortez discover them all? If not, then why have we not found them? The answer - in most cases - is that we haven't bothered to look. Most archeological sites in Mesoamerica have never seen the shovel of an archeologist.