• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mother mary without sin?

Betho_br

So again...the point really is do you personally think Mary's getting pregnant with Jesus was it a miracle, by evolution, a myth or magic?
According to the Christian Bible it was a sign. Signs are different from miracles, cures and therapies.

δια τουτο δωσει κυριος αυτος υμιν σημειον ιδου η παρθενος εν γαστρι εξει και τεξεται υιον και καλεσεις το ονομα αυτου εμμανουηλ - Is 7:14

G04592 σημειον semeion (sign)

Last edited:

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
According to the Christian Bible it was a sign. Signs are different from miracles, cures and therapies.

δια τουτο δωσει κυριος αυτος υμιν σημειον ιδου η παρθενος εν γαστρι εξει και τεξεται υιον και καλεσεις το ονομα αυτου εμμανουηλ - Is 7:14

G04592 σημειον semeion (sign)
That may be so, but again -- she did become pregnant -- and then would you personally say her pregnancy was in accordance with the theory of evolution?

YoursTrue

It wasn't really a question but an observation about the verses, which I don't believe support the quotes in any translation.
Oh. OK. I understand now, thank you. I will get back if I can to the question/interpretation you make. My question is if you believe Mary's pregnancy without sexual intercourse was in line with the theory of evolution? How do you feel about that?

Betho_br

That may be so, but again -- she did become pregnant -- and then would you personally say her pregnancy was in accordance with the theory of evolution?
Hey, your question is difficult for me. I already responded here on the forum that my academic background does not allow me to discuss philosophy. I think, I just think that Mary's pregnancy is a matter of faith and not evolutionary science. Jesus does not have Jose's chromosome, so technically he is not of the homo gender.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Oh. OK. I understand now, thank you. I will get back if I can to the question/interpretation you make. My question is if you believe Mary's pregnancy without sexual intercourse was in line with the theory of evolution? How do you feel about that?
I don't think Mary's pregnancy was in line with anything.

YoursTrue

Sure, why not?
Hi again, Kathryn. Thank you for answering my questions pleasantly as possible, I appreciate it. What do you think about Mary's parents? Do you think they inherited sin from Adam, or do you think they also were without sin?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Hi again, Kathryn. Thank you for answering my questions pleasantly as possible, I appreciate it. What do you think about Mary's parents? Do you think they inherited sin from Adam, or do you think they also were without sin?
I think they probably sinned.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
It's often very difficult to know exactly what was meant and whether the author(s) are/were correct in what they wrote. Sometimes saying "I'm not sure" may be the best position.

Betho_br

It's often very difficult to know exactly what was meant and whether the author(s) are/were correct in what they wrote. Sometimes saying "I'm not sure" may be the best position.
This linguistic resource “KECHARITOMENE” Luke 1:28 was applied again in a book:

NAS Revelation 17:4 And the woman was clothed in purple and scarlet, and adorned with gold and precious stones and pearls, having in her hand a gold cup full of abominations and of the unclean things of her immorality,

Revelation 17:4 καὶ ἡ γυνὴ ἦν περιβεβλημένη πορφυροῦν καὶ κόκκινον καὶ κεχρυσωμένη χρυσίῳ καὶ λίθῳ τιμίῳ καὶ μαργαρίταις, ἔχουσα ποτήριον χρυσοῦν ἐν τῇ χειρὶ αὐτῆς γέμον βδελυγμάτων καὶ τὰ ἀκάθαρτα τῆς πορνείας αὐτῆς

NAS Revelation 18:16 saying, 'Woe, woe, the great city, she who was clothed in fine linen and purple and scarlet, and adorned with gold and precious stones and pearls;

Revelation 18:16 λέγοντες· οὐαὶ οὐαί, ἡ πόλις ἡ μεγάλη, ἡ περιβεβλημένη βύσσινον καὶ πορφυροῦν καὶ κόκκινον καὶ κεχρυσωμένη [ἐν] χρυσίῳ καὶ λίθῳ τιμίῳ καὶ μαργαρίτῃ,

Mary as an Antitype of the Woman of the Apocalypse

Completely made with gold, right from the foundation...

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
NAS Revelation 18:16 saying, 'Woe, woe, the great city, she who was clothed in fine linen and purple and scarlet, and adorned with gold and precious stones and pearls;
It's probably a reference to Rome as compared to the ancient city of Babylon. IOW, it's likely drawing a comparison between the Roman Empire and the Babylonian Empire. It is highly unlikely, imo, to be referring to Mary.

Betho_br

It's probably a reference to Rome as compared to the ancient city of Babylon. IOW, it's likely drawing a comparison between the Roman Empire and the Babylonian Empire. It is highly unlikely, imo, to be referring to Mary.
You didn't interpret what I wrote well. In the same way that Mary is completely full of grace, the woman of apocalypse (Revelation) is also golden.

YoursTrue

I understand it as a figure of speech or symbol, It was not in reference to Mary, the mother of Jesus but to something else.

YoursTrue

You didn't interpret what I wrote well. In the same way that Mary is completely full of grace, the woman of apocalypse (Revelation) is also golden.
Mary was blessed by God and chosen to give birth to the one who came from heaven in the form of Jesus, a human. She was a faithful woman.