• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Movies You've Seen Recently

• Thread starter angellous_evangellous
  • Start date

cardero

Citizen Mod
Buttercup said:
Cardero, I love your new avatar.....sexxxxxay briefs Patrick has on. Whooooooo baby! ;)

And Buttons....he can watch movies at work. He's got it made.
I am going to try to change the avatar everyday, sort of like the 12 days of Patrick a countdown to Christmas.

A

angellous_evangellous

Superman Returns - by far the best comic book movie. Batman Begins is also wonderful.

Sahara - stupid date movie.

Capt. Haddock

Evil Mouse
robtex said:
"Why We Fight" It is a documentary based on a farewell speech given by President Eisenhower in 1961 warning of America's gowing "military industrial complex

I saw that one recently, too.

robtex

Veteran Member
Capt. Haddock said:
I saw that one recently, too.

did you find validity in the model they proposed as the primary motivator of american propensity for military intervention? I actually just bought it two days ago and have only seen the first 30 minutes. I loved how they directors had the foresight to pull the Eisenhower speech into play and I think their positioning the US weapon manufacturing lobbying efforts is dead-on accurate. I am gonna watch the rest of it tonight likely. But I was really excited to find that such a movie existed and posted it before actually watching it. Very academic in the first 90 minutes in presenation. Senator McCain, incidently was a pow in the vietnam war for 5.5 years in Hanoi Hilton. I didn't know if the film mentions that or not.

Capt. Haddock

Evil Mouse
robtex said:
did you find validity in the model they proposed as the primary motivator of american propensity for military intervention?

Yes, but I was already of that point of view, so the film didn't really give me much new information.

The author Chalmers Johnson, who is featured in the film, has written a number of good articles on the topic.

The problem with these kind of political films/books is that they pretty much make their point in the first chapter/ten minutes and then get a little repetitive, but it is well researched and documented and there are a lot of comments from high-ranking and knowledgeable people (not all of the same political stripe, which is a good thing.)

Then again, some of the "emotional" elements, like the father of a 9/11 victim and the young man about to join the military do make it sometimes seem like the filmmakers are trying a little too hard to "sell" their point of view.

robtex

Veteran Member
Capt. Haddock said:
)

Then again, some of the "emotional" elements, like the father of a 9/11 victim and the young man about to join the military do make it sometimes seem like the filmmakers are trying a little too hard to "sell" their point of view.

the father was a paramount feature in promotiong the ideology of war. His equation was simple. His son died in 9/11 and now somebody has to pay with their life. The dad never stopped to think that the people who killed his son were already dead or the importance of following the money trail (for flight training ect) to find specific perps but rather that he has emotions they were raw and somebody was going to pay. I think a portion of the american population that took the war hawks stance on the movie had the same driving factors (without the personal loss) as the cop in that movie.

Capt. Haddock

Evil Mouse
robtex said:
the father was a paramount feature in promotiong the ideology of war. His equation was simple. His son died in 9/11 and now somebody has to pay with their life. The dad never stopped to think that the people who killed his son were already dead or the importance of following the money trail (for flight training ect) to find specific perps but rather that he has emotions they were raw and somebody was going to pay. I think a portion of the american population that took the war hawks stance on the movie had the same driving factors (without the personal loss) as the cop in that movie.

True. But then you have to wonder how many people like that are actually going to see the film. More likely, they're preaching to the converted. But then again, among the anti-war crowd you'll still get a lot of people who think it was all about oil or Israel or Bush's daddy or whatever, and this film puts forth a different version that doesn't get a lot of press.

cardero

Citizen Mod
5 Fingers Of Death
DVD/ Color/ 105 Mins./ NR/ 1973
Chao Chi Hao (martial artist Lo Leih) is a young student struggling to make a place for himself in the world of kung fu. When Chao Chi Hao begins to develop his skills in the Iron Palm technique to win a tournament, his hands are broken by his rivals. But a couple of damaged fingers aren't enough to keep the young master from victory and revenge.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
I saw Apocolypto. I was expecting some kind of Euro invasion into the Mayan Empire. It didn't happen. The Mayans were a vile bunch. They make the American Indians look like girl scouts. I just wish they showed more of the good qualities of the Mayan Society. Mel did a good job of showing how powerful, sophisticated architects, pagan they were, but I'm certain there was more to them.

A

angellous_evangellous

Victor said:
I saw Apocolypto. I was expecting some kind of Euro invasion into the Mayan Empire. It didn't happen. The Mayans were a vile bunch. They make the American Indians look like girl scouts. I just wish they showed more of the good qualities of the Mayan Society. Mel did a good job of showing how powerful, sophisticated architects, pagan they were, but I'm certain there was more to them.

Yes, the American Indians were pretty much a peaceful group.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
Victor said:
I saw Apocolypto as well. It was more violent than I was expecting. Of course after watching "Braveheart" and " The Passion of Christ" I shouldn't have been surprised. I thought it was a very good movie.

cardero

Citizen Mod
Kung Fu Vampire
DVD/ Color/ 90 Mins./ NR/ 1973
In Kung Fu Vampire -- the original horror martial arts comedy classic -- a student teams up with a sorcerer to battle a powerful kung fu vampire and a beautiful ghost.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
We saw an excellent movie on television a couple of night ago; being tired, and knowing that we poor old fogies would probably fall asleep in ther chair, we decided to tape the last half.

Trouble was, the tape was chewed when we came to it the next day.........:( It was a good film too. Now don't ask me the name or who was in it.........

"End of the Spear" and "Beyond the Gates of Splendor".

At the top of the list of movies recommended here are two about the same subject, a true-life story of New Tribes missionaries in South America making first contact with an extremely ferocious tribe known and feared as killers up and down the Ecuador jungle river where the story takes place. The movie is called "End of the Spear" and its accompanying documentary is called "Beyond the Gates of Splendor".

This is a true story of missionary work at its most dangerous and demanding level. But it chronicles an unforgetable Christian epic, a story of murder and redemption almost beyond imagination. This story is the essense of the Christian message. This story is especially dear to me as my aunt Edna was one of these types of brave missionaries in another tragic first contact episode in Bolivia, that story also mentioned in the documentary."

For more "Biomystical Christian" movie recommendations please go to:

http://paxcalibur.org/movies.htm