• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muslims attack Taslima Nasrin

ayani

Summia- i hear you. it's unfair to make such blanket statements. to deny diversity and look where one wants to prove a point is dangerous, and too easy. one can only answer for one's self, and seek to correct the wrong views of others. i feel that Taslima should have the right to speak out, even if this angers or offends others. one coukld always challange her in writing or discussion, read her works, and decide to disagree and live differently. but what good does putting her in danger do? doesn't that just back up her points?

summia

Scriptural reader
Summia- i agree that there are violent extremists in every faith. i kind of see your point about Taslima's relationship to Islam as a secularist- at the same time, does this mean that she deserves to be harassed and hounded? when people believe the most appropriate way to voice frustation is with attack or destruction (whether one is Hindu, Muslim, or Christian), it looks bad for everyone. then it's only a short step to generalizations and alienating blanket-statements.
That's what I'm trying to clearfy...
Why Taslima's relationship to Islam ?
Why is not adressed Taslima's relationship to Exterimist group?

summia

Scriptural reader
Summia- i hear you. it's unfair to make such blanket statements. to deny diversity and look where one wants to prove a point is dangerous, and too easy. one can only answer for one's self, and seek to correct the wrong views of others. i feel that Taslima should have the right to speak out, even if this angers or offends others. one coukld always challange her in writing or discussion, read her works, and decide to disagree and live differently. but what good does putting her in danger do? doesn't that just back up her points?
I appoligize for my behaviour!

But If someone Insult me, I can bear!

But if someone tries to make worng point about Islam, I can't bear!

If a group have defect in his own Character, he must not allow to talk for others! (I'm refering to what i posted about hindus and Christains)

And I again apologize for my behavoir!

Sahar

gracie, Whom your asking? Why are you directing these questions to us? Why don't you go to those who threaten her life and ask them? I have said she has the right to say her opinion but why you keep asking us? We didn't tell those people "go and kill her". We are not responsible for their acts. Why no-body can understand what we are trying to say here!
not4me said:
Yes, a woman has a full right to speak out against the Quran and as i understand my Islam there is no problem in this and she could be freely allowed to express her ideas under Islamic Shari'a. If a Muslim wants to criticize her ideas, then why not using the same tools as she did, if she wrote a book, he writes, if she gave a lecture, he gives...as any civil society does. The problem that the reaction of some Muslims makes such persons as this Taslima something. If Muslims ignored what they said, maybe no-one would hear about them. Some Muslims' behavior is really nasty and i don't have any problem to say this or to disapprove it.
This is something i have said earlier, what can i say else?

summia

Scriptural reader
My point was "Why adressing to Whole Muslims?"

Adn I think I hav posted about the same response as they made first with us!

Pariah

Let go
India has always been a haven for the religiously oppressed, fleeing from Islamic persecution. It has been that way and will be that way.

In fact, I hope India continues to publish her material - which I think will find a wider audience since Indian Muslims are always the better behaved than in other countries. Bangaldeshi's in particular, have always been a barbarous bunch - after massacring over a million in Hindus, despite the fact that the Indian army fought for their independence, the world should let them rot peacefully in their country, while working against their Islamic militancy by continually harboring the oppressed.

fullyveiled muslimah

Evil incarnate!
After reading that whole article, and the other websites I have to say that the problem was presented as something that applied to all muslims. In fact it is something that is applicable to where she is. The pakistanis and the indians have a long history of animosity towards each other. It is complex between them that does not play out where I am. The pakistanis and indians get along elsewhere for the most part. These people that were so mad at her just happened to have been muslim, but the animosity that goes on over there extends beyond religions. I do not know the origin of why they dislike each other so much, but it didn't have so much to do with how the muslims in general or islam in general views her.

From what she says she has seen some pretty heinous stuff and quite naturally attributed it to religion. The people there have a lot of religious fervor but not alot of religious knowledge or practice, so that often produces an ignorant person that's very emotional. So I read these articles and came away with that. Why was it then presented as though all the muslims felt the same way? Or that we should have felt the same, or that we automatically did? If she had been muslim speaking ill about hinduism, and got attacked would we have had this little lashing out against the hindus on this site? Nope. Cuz only the muslims are crazily fanatical about everything.

I wasn't even gonna write anything else about this but I had to point it out.

Another thing, I have to say. When I came to this site I had some big asperations. my intention was to open up the roads of communication with people of varying faiths, in hopes that I could understand where other people are comming from and help them understand Islam and muslims. I wanted to build a repor if you will that was amicable enough to discuss things, and hopefully bring about understanding. I wanted to quell misconceptions about Islam, and I wanted people to have knowledge about Islam from the horses mouth. I was not so much looking forward to anyone accepting Islam, although it has happened with a couple of members. I was wrong on all counts. I as well as the other muslims on this site, was unable to do any of that. We were unable to communicate properly the things about islam that had people upset. For some odd reason people have gotten it into their heads that muslims want to make America or other western countries be under sharia. If that is the case then I am hoplessly clueless. I had no idea that any muslim was wasting time planning that. Anyway, I feel I have done nothing in the service of what I came to do, and have done Islam an injustice. I have only seemed to create a type of hatred which I am deeply grieved about. I was unable to squelch even one misunderstanding, and I was unable to meet anyone halfway on the building of mutual repsect and understanding, if not agreement between the muslims and the non-muslims. Without even making efforts towards it, we muslims have engendered a general dislike (I feel anyway) no matter how we attempt to approach Islamic subjects.

I was well aware that I wasn't going to make people agree with me, and neither did I try. However, I was and have been (for whatever reason although I know better) caught off guard by the spurts of venom that come our way. It's a bit disturbing but nothing that I should not have been looking forward to. In any case this thread has proven to me just how much of a waste of my time it has been here. I liked it, but it was a waste ultimately. I will take it as a weakness of mine. A sort of patheticness if you will that I was so feeble in my words and intent. May Allah forgive me for that, and I apologise for anything I may have written in my time here that offended anyone. I have gotten angry, and sometimes out of line with some of you and for that I am sorry. I really did not intend any harm or hurt to any person here.

ayani

not4me said:
gracie, Whom your asking? Why are you directing these questions to us? Why don't you go to those who threaten her life and ask them? I have said she has the right to say her opinion but why you keep asking us? We didn't tell those people "go and kill her". We are not responsible for their acts. Why no-body can understand what we are trying to say here!

This is something i have said earlier, what can i say else?

not4me-

i apologize- you are right that i should not direct anger at you, but at those whoare threatening Nasrin. if i were Muslim, i would certainly be offended and distressed by her views.

i posed my question to those i can not pose it to- the Muslims who specifically have condoned or attempted violence against Nasrin. i was asking, hypotheically, what good it does for her would-be attackers to put her in danger, and was supporting the right of religious Muslims who disagree with her to ignore her, get angry, disagree, write letters, and counter her arguments.

Sahar

not4me-

i apologize- you are right that i should not direct anger at you, but at those whoare threatening Nasrin. if i were Muslim, i would certainly be offended and distressed by her views.
No..no..you don't have to apologize! To be honest with you, for me, the problem is not her views but the problem is that Islam is burdened the faults of some of its followers. And who pay the price at last is the rest of Muslims. Lately, Some Muslim mosques in England employed security gaurds to protect them against the racial attacks against them.

i posed my question to those i can not pose it to- the Muslims who specifically have condoned or attempted violence against Nasrin. i was asking, hypotheically, what good it does for her would-be attackers to put her in danger, and was supporting the right of religious Muslims who disagree with her to ignore her, get angry, disagree, write letters, and counter her arguments.
I fully agree with you.

ayani

not4me and all-

i am reading an excellent book right now called "being muslim" by someone named haroon siddiqui- it is a short but powerful book that speaks to many of the issues we are raising. it is really an introduction to Islam for non-Muslims, but is intelligently and critically written. i think you would enjoy it very much- i am.

i agree that the burden on Islam and Muslims is unfairly scrutinous. who spoke out on popular american news about Falwell? indeed, some may have, but i considered the man to be a fanatic and a very, very negative voice for Christianity.

Smoke

Done here.
I was well aware that I wasn't going to make people agree with me, and neither did I try. However, I was and have been (for whatever reason although I know better) caught off guard by the spurts of venom that come our way.
Oh, come on. Nobody has suggested that people like you should have to pay a special tax. Nobody has suggested that people like you should be executed. When it comes to spurting venom, you're way ahead of anybody who has disagreed with you.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Oh, come on. Nobody has suggested that people like you should have to pay a special tax. Nobody has suggested that people like you should be executed. When it comes to spurting venom, you're way ahead of anybody who has disagreed with you.

Ignorance has no limit.