• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"My God, My God, Why Has Thou Forsaken Me?

What happened, that made Christ call out on the cross? Evidently, Christ had tried to 'give up His life', and nothing happened, and yet, The Father had 'commanded' that Jesus had this power.

The ministers of the Protestant churches that I attended, believe that The Father could not handle the sins of the world that Jesus took upon Himself, and thus 'turned away' for a moment.

Is it possible, that Jesus thought that His work was finished, but it was not? Was satan given one last chance to 'tempt' Jesus? If Jesus would have 'cursed' The Father, would all of His work be for nothing? Is it possible, that Jesus had to prove, that under the most fearful conditions, that He could 'remain worthy until the end', as required of all Christians? Jesus faced the possibility of having His legs broken, if He remained on the cross. We see in Job, that satan could tempt Job in any way, but was not allowed to break a single bone. In the case of Christ, Christ must have been in terrible fear and confusion, and yet, He assumed nothing. He did the correct thing. He asked His Father.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
What happened, that made Christ call out on the cross? Evidently, Christ had tried to 'give up His life', and nothing happened, and yet, The Father had 'commanded' that Jesus had this power.

The ministers of the Protestant churches that I attended, believe that The Father could not handle the sins of the world that Jesus took upon Himself, and thus 'turned away' for a moment.

Is it possible, that Jesus thought that His work was finished, but it was not? Was satan given one last chance to 'tempt' Jesus? If Jesus would have 'cursed' The Father, would all of His work be for nothing? Is it possible, that Jesus had to prove, that under the most fearful conditions, that He could 'remain worthy until the end', as required of all Christians? Jesus faced the possibility of having His legs broken, if He remained on the cross. We see in Job, that satan could tempt Job in any way, but was not allowed to break a single bone. In the case of Christ, Christ must have been in terrible fear and confusion, and yet, He assumed nothing. He did the correct thing. He asked His Father.

(emphasis mine)

Where in Job does it say this?

(emphasis mine)

Where in Job does it say this?

At the beginning, when God was praising Job. Satan had responded, that God was 'protecting' Job, and this is why Job was so 'righteous'. It was at this point, that God allowed satan to 'tempt' Job. God allowed satan to tempt Job in any way that he wished, but satan was not allowed to break any of Job's bones, in the process.

I have not read through the book of Job for several years, but I do remember reading this. :)

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
At the beginning, when God was praising Job. Satan had responded, that God was 'protecting' Job, and this is why Job was so 'righteous'. It was at this point, that God allowed satan to 'tempt' Job. God allowed satan to tempt Job in any way that he wished, but satan was not allowed to break any of Job's bones, in the process.

I have not read through the book of Job for several years, but I do remember reading this. :)

Sorry, but I believe you're mistaken. God tells Satan "but spare his life", but I believe that's the only proviso He placed on the arrangement. Nothing specifically about bones aside from Satan saying:
Job 2:5
But put forth thine hand now, and touch his bone and his flesh, and he will curse thee to thy face.

Job 1:12 "And the LORD said unto Satan, Behold, all that he hath is in thy power; only upon himself put not forth thine hand. So Satan went forth from the presence of the LORD." It does not say that he was not allowed to break bones; it says that he was not allowed to touch his health. This was just the first "round" of trials. Satan was only allowed to take away his possessions, including his children.

After Job proved faithful in that Satan came back to God for permission to take away Job's health. Permission was granted. It never mentions not breaking Job's bones. Job 2:5-6 "But put forth thine hand now, and touch his bone and his flesh, and he will curse thee to thy face. 6 And the LORD said unto Satan, Behold, he is in thine hand; but save his life."

idea

Question Everything
I do not believe in the trinity, that Jesus and Heavenly Father are two different people, that Jesus was not praying, or crying out to himself... I don't think Jesus and Heavenly Father had ever been apart before / or after that moment - that it took Jesus by surprise to be on His own for the first time. I think the atonement was something that he did have to do on his own though.

[youtube]EpFhS0dAduc[/youtube]
YouTube - An Apostle's Easter Thoughts on Christ

Sorry, but I believe you're mistaken. God tells Satan "but spare his life", but I believe that's the only proviso He placed on the arrangement. Nothing specifically about bones aside from Satan saying:
Job 2:5
But put forth thine hand now, and touch his bone and his flesh, and he will curse thee to thy face.

Your posting is correct. :) I may have picked this up from some other scripture that referenced Job and his ordeal with satan's temptations. I do know that I read it somewhere. :)

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Your posting is correct. :) I may have picked this up from some other scripture that referenced Job and his ordeal with satan's temptations. I do know that I read it somewhere. :)

Do you mean something Biblical? I'm just curious now.

Do you mean something Biblical? I'm just curious now.

Yes. Somewhere in the scriptures. I have been doing a lot of thinking since you posted a rebuttle. It seems to me, that someone else in scripture was talking about Job, and mentioned something like..."but satan was not allowed to break any of Job's bones." Perhaps someone else reading this thread, knows the scripture that I am referencing. :)

Yes. Somewhere in the scriptures. I have been doing a lot of thinking since you posted a rebuttle. It seems to me, that someone else in scripture was talking about Job, and mentioned something like..."but satan was not allowed to break any of Job's bones." Perhaps someone else reading this thread, knows the scripture that I am referencing. :)

I am not aware of any references to Job's bones not being broken, but there are verses that refer to the Messiah's bones not being broken. Is that possibly what you were thinking about?

John 19:33 But when they came to Jesus, and saw that he was dead already, they brake not his legs:
34 But one of the soldiers with a spear pierced his side, and forthwith came there out blood and water.
35 And he that saw it bare record, and his record is true: and he knoweth that he saith true, that ye might believe.
36 For these things were done, that the scripture should be fulfilled, A bone of him shall not be broken.

I am not aware of any references to Job's bones not being broken, but there are verses that refer to the Messiah's bones not being broken. Is that possibly what you were thinking about?

John 19:33 But when they came to Jesus, and saw that he was dead already, they brake not his legs:
34 But one of the soldiers with a spear pierced his side, and forthwith came there out blood and water.
35 And he that saw it bare record, and his record is true: and he knoweth that he saith true, that ye might believe.
36 For these things were done, that the scripture should be fulfilled, A bone of him shall not be broken.

Actually, it is the verses above, that made me think of Job, when I read them. I am sorry, but I can't remember where I read the reference to Job. I am sure that I read this in the Bible. I hope that I am not 'regurgitating' some minister's teachings. :)

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Let's take this a little deeper....

The title quote is not a casual pronouncement.

During His ministry, the Carpenter seemed to have inside information
and unusual abilities.
He had the correct answer whenever questioned.
And His say so was bolstered by His command over everything else.

But during that last hour, as His last breathe is pending....
He turned His face to heaven...and there was no response.

He was indeed forsaken.

Now a proper consideration is at hand.
If the angels are willing to stand back, and allow so much unto the Son of Man...
what then of you during your last hour?

Let's take this a little deeper....

The title quote is not a casual pronouncement.

During His ministry, the Carpenter seemed to have inside information
and unusual abilities.
He had the correct answer whenever questioned.
And His say so was bolstered by His command over everything else.

But during that last hour, as His last breathe is pending....
He turned His face to heaven...and there was no response.

He was indeed forsaken.

Now a proper consideration is at hand.
If the angels are willing to stand back, and allow so much unto the Son of Man...
what then of you during your last hour?

Not sure what you mean. What do you believe about Salvation? Could you give us a quick overview of your beliefs?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I am really confused as to what you are getting at. You are being quite vague. I don't see your argument.

Perhaps you are being shallow?

My discussion was answering the op.
The title quote has nothing to do with the works of the Carpenter being finished.

The Carpenter knew His work was done. He did say so as He died.

The title quote has more to do with the silence....
as He did ask of heaven..."where are you?"

He was indeed...forsaken.