• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need and religion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremiah

Is there a need for particular religions? On their own, I'd say no. Now, can one find a need for spirituality though? Yes. And many find their spirituality best channeled/focused through the ritual that religion brings.

And what need does spirituality fill?

Draka

Wonder Woman
And what need does spirituality fill?

Balance, centering, peace, and understanding of how we are connected, love beyond just physical attachments and relationships, knowledge or at least acknowledgement of something outside/greater than yourself, and much more.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
And can any of these things be found outside religion?
Yes and no. Probably to different capacities. Even if they did it wouldn't make religion obsolete. Since if we could find joy without making or listening to music, does it mean that we should stop playing and listening to music?
Many people have a solid frame with religion as a system which provides them with personal comfort, communal bond, family bonding, celebration with family and even society as a whole, etc. I'm sure most religious people find comfort and celebration in various things, religion is one of them.

Jeremiah

So it looks like no one can provide a real need for religion. Seems religion is something we can do without altogether.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
So it looks like no one can provide a real need for religion. Seems religion is something we can do without altogether.
If you only wanted to score with your 'right answer' and simply dismiss or ignore the other answers our members gave to you, why did you create this thread?
It's a waste of space and the time of other members. But at least you can pat yourself on the back.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
If you want to get technical, the only things we NEED are things required for survival (i.e., food, water, habitat).

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
We need religion because it is what creates our worlds, not to mention the art is beautiful...

Reptillian

Hamburgler Extraordinaire
If you want to get technical, the only things we NEED are things required for survival (i.e., food, water, habitat).

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled - Matthew 5:6

Religion seems to fill a need that humans have, for some science fills that need. I think we all have an innate desire to lead good and purposeful lives and to be part of something beyond ourselves. Whether religion or science or philosophy fulfills that need depends upon the individual.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
If it's not necessary for you and Penguin to agree on the meaning of 'religion,' how can you declare that there's no need for religion?

Maybe he defines it as 'oxygen.'

It also depends on the meaning of "need".

I mean, if religion disappeared, then all the people who make rosaries would be out of work. Is that a sort of "need"? Depending on how you look at it, maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.