• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need and religion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Not necessarily. Religion is an organized form of religion, what is exceedingly better is natural religion. The unobstructed believe in god.
Dogmatic religions have already reached their peak and will only begin to decline from where on out.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Sorry if I offended you, I am just speaking my mind.

It's not a matter of offending me. Believe me, after so many years here, it's hard to offend me. Cause my eyes to roll, still possible, but it takes work to offend. You have, however, lied in this thread and were caught and refused to admit it. You flat out lied about something Odion said to try to further your argument. Not cool. You also get several answers to your question, you either ignore or dismiss the vast majority of which and then make a statement that there are no real answers so that you can claim that you're "right" about your stance. If you are not the picture perfect for my sig line...I don't know what is.

Jeremiah

Exactly when did you define religion?

The precise definition is important here. The dividing lines between belief, religion, and culture can be very blurry. In everyday speech, it's common for different people to use "religion" to describe a belief system OR a community. I've also heard fringe-y definitions that don't match either of those.

... but if we just stick to the mainstream senses of the word, the question "do we need religion?" could be taken to mean anything from "do we need theistic beliefs?" to "do we need churches"? These are two very different questions.

"Exactly when did you define religion?"

Right here: http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/3332073-post46.html

"but if we just stick to the mainstream senses of the word, the question "do we need religion?" could be taken to mean anything from "do we need theistic beliefs?" to "do we need churches"? These are two very different questions"

Feel free to expanded on it. If you feel that traditional religion is not needed but feel a belief in the holy of a potato is go for it. I would just ask you that you explain how there is a need for this holy potato.

I understand this is a open ended question, I would have to ask though: Can it really not be an open ended question?

starlite

Texasgirl
According to Matthew 5:3 we can be happy if we are conscious of our spiritual need....
I found that the Bible tells us why we are here, why there is so much suffering, and what God expects of us. Understanding such Scriptural truths helps us to have a meaningful and satisfying life.

(Matthew 5:3) “Happy are those conscious of their spiritual need, since the kingdom of the heavens belongs to them.

Jeremiah

It's not a matter of offending me. Believe me, after so many years here, it's hard to offend me. Cause my eyes to roll, still possible, but it takes work to offend. You have, however, lied in this thread and were caught and refused to admit it. You flat out lied about something Odion said to try to further your argument. Not cool. You also get several answers to your question, you either ignore or dismiss the vast majority of which and then make a statement that there are no real answers so that you can claim that you're "right" about your stance. If you are not the picture perfect for my sig line...I don't know what is.

"You have, however, lied"

I stopped reading here as this is now ad hominem.

Draka

Wonder Woman
"You have, however, lied"

I stopped reading here as this is now ad hominem.
I fail to see how, as it is true. So, since you are called on the floor for lying to support your argument, which I believe only shows how weak you must believe your own argument to be, you won't even address the fact that you are, in fact, dismissing or ignoring other arguments in order to maintain that your stance in the "correct" stance? Is that how this goes?

Is there a real need for religion?

:help:

For some, yes.

What are these needs you are talking about?

Social and spiritual.

So what I am getting is you really have no clue.

I answered you.
Not my problem if you don't like the reply.

Yes, you did answer me. You said, "There is no need for religion."

I shouldn't have to spell it out for you or anyone else. I believe the quotes should speak for themselves.

Jeremiah

I fail to see how, as it is true. So, since you are called on the floor for lying to support your argument, which I believe only shows how weak you must believe your own argument to be, you won't even address the fact that you are, in fact, dismissing or ignoring other arguments in order to maintain that your stance in the "correct" stance? Is that how this goes?

I shouldn't have to spell it out for you or anyone else. I believe the quotes should speak for themselves.

Here is the rest, which you left off.

It's not nice to lie about what people said.

It is more about what you didn't say.

If you have a problem with me feel free to send it in PM. But you are going off topic here.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
"Exactly when did you define religion?"

Right here: http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/3332073-post46.html
That's one of my posts. :facepalm:

I understand this is a open ended question, I would have to ask though: Can it really not be an open ended question?
That depends what your objective is. So far, leaving things open-ended had led to answers like this:

We need religion because it is what creates our worlds,
I can't even tell what this means, let alone decide whether I agree or disagree with it. I think this is less than useful if the objective is mutual understanding.

thau

Is there a real need for religion?

:help:

You don't ask for much do you?

Personally, if I thought this life was all there was and I would never see those dear to me again, I would go mad.

I do not consider your position to be noble or wise in any way.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Which still shows you're trying to pick at something that isn't there.

I thought it was quite clear.
As far as I'm aware, you don't want to discuss anything that doesn't fit into your own view, as you're dismissing things.

That's real a shame.

Titanic

There will alway's be religious people and religion's. Is there any need for religion? yes to a point.

Draka

Wonder Woman

If you have a problem with me feel free to send it in PM. But you are going off topic here.

"The rest" was you being confronted with your lie and you trying to dismiss it as well. You are trying to see what you want, rather than what is put plainly before your face. You don't like what is put plainly before your face because it doesn't fit nicely into the box you want to fill, so you twist around the answers you think you can, ignore the ones you can't, slap a bow on it, and say "See! I'm right! Ta Da!" then do your little triumphant strut around the board.

And I really don't care if you think I'm going "off-topic" or not by addressing your so-called "debate" tactic here.

Jeremiah

That's one of my posts. :facepalm:

That depends what your objective is. So far, leaving things open-ended had led to answers like this:

I can't even tell what this means, let alone decide whether I agree or disagree with it. I think this is less than useful if the objective is mutual understanding.

I was aware it was your post.

Jeremiah

Which still shows you're trying to pick at something that isn't there.

I thought it was quite clear.
As far as I'm aware, you don't want to discuss anything that doesn't fit into your own view, as you're dismissing things.

That's real a shame.

Don't worry I am a lying waste of time anyways.

Jeremiah

I think the reaction here shows how much people want there to be a need for religion but how much they are unable to produce one.

Status
Not open for further replies.