• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New age movement

Heneni

Miss Independent
The new age movement have gained quite a lot acceptance among many people.

Here are a few of their beliefs:

1. Believe in the impersonal god/force who is one with the universe

2. Deny the reality of sin, evil and judgement

3. Believe that 'salvation' occurs when you become conscious of your deity and aware of your oneness with the God/force

4. Deal with the anxiety and responsibility of your godhood by resorting to fantasy and mystical experience.

5. Eventually encounter and submit control of your life to spirit guides and alien beings

6. Anticipate fullfillment in this life and in future lives through reincarnation.

How do these concepts contradict/support the message of jesus christ?
Why do these concepts appeal to so many people?
What are the dangers if any of accepting these concepts?

Last edited:

belever

3. Believe that 'salvation' occurs when you become conscious of your deity and aware of your oneness with the God/force

4. Deal with the anxiety and responsibility of your godhood by resorting to fantasy and mystical experience.

5. Eventually encounter and submit control of your life to spirit guides and alien beings

6. Anticipate fullfillment in this life and in future lives through reincarnation.

hi,many think that
God’s Kingdom is the fundamental message of Jesus and God’s Word.Mat 24:14,
i wont comment on ather two questions

cardero

Citizen Mod
Many of the teachings that are proposed about New Age may have originated before the structures of many modern religions (Judaism, Christianity, Islam) possibly even before the creation of humans, making New Age, Old Age or as I like to refer to it, the First Age. Sometimes people refer to these concepts as New Age because they have never heard of them before but that doesn’t make these philosophies new, just new to the person who has never studied or reasoned them.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
From what I understand, in theory New Age is a revival of old pagan religions.

In practice, most New Age books I've seen have tag-lines like "unleash the druid/priestess/wizard/etc. in you!", which to me is reminiscent of old childrens' commercials. These positions require, in actuality, years and years of rigorous training and not everybody is able to accomplish such feats.

I like the idea of the New Age movement, but I don't really consider myself a member just because it sounds pretentious to me.

But I've nothing against the movement.

EDIT:
As far as I know, there's nothing really dangerous about the movement, but I do think that it makes spiritual growth look easier than it really is, which is also why it appeals to so many people who want instant gratification, and the reality of the difficulty of obtaining and maintaining positions like druid can throw people off guard.

Last edited:

ranjana

exactly. the new age movement is such an umbrella term. it definitely does not necessitate aliens or the denial of evil, or living in a fantasy world.

i am prone to criticize New Age because I have seen some of the worst it can bring out in people, but New Age is far more than a collection of airheads.

at its best it is a vision of freedom and union with the Divine, and takes many cues from Christ's teachings.

there is something to be said for choosing and path and following it, which i commend you for Heneni. The New Age is not such a straighforward path.

Lucius7

The "New Age" movement is not new, nor is it defined by a single age in human history. Modern "New Age" practices are firmly and deeply rooted in mainstream paganism originating in Babylon. Some minor changes and modifications include the replacement of the god/goddess/pantheon with self enlightenment and self godhood. During my time as a witch I was very familiar with almost every system of witchcraft and new age philosphy and they arre all basically the same, in the same sense that all Christianity in its denominations are based in some form on the characters of passages from the bible.

To answer your three questions:

These concepts and practices support the validity of the messages of Christ completely. He made it clear that in the end, there would be false doctines, false teachers, false apostles, false prophets, false christs, every abomination of wickedness and every false religion. The sudden rejeuvenation of pagan witchraft and New Age philosphy is simply another verification of the scriptures.

These beliefs are built around carnality and the desires and inclinations of the flesh. They are manufactured by Satan as tools of deception, using pseudo(false) sciences and doctrines, to temp men using mans inherent weaknesses such as the will to worship and acknowledge those things which we can see with our eyes, and the desire to place spiritual significance into the confines of our own limited understanding. GOD said "the whole world is decieved" and "the whole world lies in wickedness", meaning that the mass of humanity and religion is consumed in these false systems. As a result, the mentality of "comfort in numbers" and "going along with accepted traditions" ultimately result in the destruction of men and women through the consequences.

All of the dangers for accpeting or practicing any of these abominations are the consequences stated in the law as consequences for idolotry and false worship. WHatever the stated curses are for violations WILL as the rule be the experienced reality for all those who violate the law.

Last edited:

bicker

Unitarian Universalist
Is there truly any way to pin down specifics on the "New Age movement"?
That's a great point. The term is so often used to disparage belief systems that the pinning-down of the specifics would likely only be undertaken by people who are among the least qualified to do so, since, as non-believers in and antagonists of such belief systems, they're especially inept at understanding their parameters.

Heneni

Miss Independent
Is there truly any way to pin down specifics on the "New Age movement"?

Anything can be pinned down to specifics. Christians believe in god, and in jesus christ, and that he died and rose from the dead. There are three specifics. Its not ALL there is to it...but its a start.

Last edited:

Heneni

Miss Independent
The "New Age" movement is not new, nor is it defined by a single age in human history. Modern "New Age" practices are firmly and deeply rooted in mainstream paganism originating in Babylon. Some minor changes and modifications include the replacement of the god/goddess/pantheon with self enlightenment and self godhood. During my time as a witch I was very familiar with almost every system of witchcraft and new age philosphy and they arre all basically the same, in the same sense that all Christianity in its denominations are based in some form on the characters of passages from the bible.

To answer your three questions:

These concepts and practices support the validity of the messages of Christ completely. He made it clear that in the end, there would be false doctines, false teachers, false apostles, false prophets, false christs, every abomination of wickedness and every false religion. The sudden rejeuvenation of pagan witchraft and New Age philosphy is simply another verification of the scriptures.

These beliefs are built around carnality and the desires and inclinations of the flesh. They are manufactured by Satan as tools of deception, using pseudo(false) sciences and doctrines, to temp men using mans inherent weaknesses such as the will to worship and acknowledge those things which we can see with our eyes, and the desire to place spiritual significance into the confines of our own limited understanding. GOD said "the whole world is decieved" and "the whole world lies in wickedness", meaning that the mass of humanity and religion is consumed in these false systems. As a result, the mentality of "comfort in numbers" and "going along with accepted traditions" ultimately result in the destruction of men and women through the consequences.

All of the dangers for accpeting or practicing any of these abominations are the consequences stated in the law as consequences for idolotry and false worship. WHatever the stated curses are for violations WILL as the rule be the experienced reality for all those who violate the law.

Thank you for your answer. You make some interesting points. This movement is centred on the mind. The mind being intellect, reason, emotions and will. The spiritual matters isnt god centred though. Its centred on the feeling of transcendence rather than the feeling of abandonment and surrender to god.

The only way satan can control somebody's spirit is by gaining control of their minds. And controlling the mind, means he's one step closer to controlling the spirit.

Troublemane

Thank you for your answer. You make some interesting points. This movement is centred on the mind. The mind being intellect, reason, emotions and will. The spiritual matters isnt god centred though. Its centred on the feeling of transcendence rather than the feeling of abandonment and surrender to god.

The only way satan can control somebody's spirit is by gaining control of their minds. And controlling the mind, means he's one step closer to controlling the spirit.

whats the difference between "abandonment to God" and "abandonment of ones intellect to a religious ideal"? And what makes belief in the Bible as the ultimate authority on God not idolotry?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Anything can be pinned down to specifics. Christians believe in god, and in jesus christ, and that he died and rose from the dead. There are three specifics. Its not ALL there is to it...but its a start.

But unlike Christianity, New Age isn't a single homogeneous religion, but rather a collection of different religions and beliefs. It's a mix 'n match grab bag of superstitions with no core tenets or "specifics" defining the so called "movement" as a whole. This should be clear to anyone who actually knows anything about it. As for resorting to fantasy, all religions do that, especially yours. And as for it being dangerous, it's rather benign and couldn't hope to hold a candle to the damage and destruction of Christianity. Your whole critique of New Age is the pot calling the kettle black.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

Your religion asks for believers to forsake their mind and surrender their will, to turn their brains off and follow blindly. So does that mean your god is actually Satan in disguise? That makes sense, actually, doesn't it?

Heneni

Miss Independent
whats the difference between "abandonment to God" and "abandonment of ones intellect to a religious ideal"? And what makes belief in the Bible as the ultimate authority on God not idolotry?

Man has been created with a spirit, a soul and a body. In the beginning they were all working harmoniously and were condusive to a relatioship with god.

The body must not rule the soul and the soul must not rule the spirit.

The mind is the only way other entities can have access to us. Its the doorway between our world and the spiritual world.

Abandonment to god, means trust. Abandonment to evil spirits means captivity.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Man has been created with a spirit, a soul and a body. In the beginning they were all working harmoniously and were condusive to a relatioship with god.

The body must not rule the soul and the soul must not rule the spirit.

The mind is the only way other entities can have access to us. Its the doorway between our world and the spiritual world.

Abandonment to god, means trust. Abandonment to evil spirits means captivity.

What's the difference between a soul and a spirit? And how do we know our gods aren't evil spirits in disguise?

Heneni

Miss Independent
Your religion asks for believers to forsake their mind and surrender their will, to turn their brains off and follow blindly. So does that mean your god is actually Satan in disguise? That makes sense, actually, doesn't it?

He he...nice try..

Im not to forsake my mind, im to fill it up with godly thoughts. Im to surrender my will for the will of god, as an act of trust and love. Heck he is the creator of the universe. Humility makes me realise that in the presence of greatness id rather sit and listen, then shoot my mouth off.

I dont turn my mind off, i turn my mind on by the promptings of the spirit of god, and switch it off at the promptings of evil spirits. I also use my mind to wash the dishes.

Heneni

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
He he...nice try..

Im not to forsake my mind, im to fill it up with godly thoughts. Im to surrender my will for the will of god, as an act of trust and love. Heck he is the creator of the universe. Humility makes me realise that in the presence of greatness id rather sit and listen, then shoot my mouth off.

I dont turn my mind off, i turn my mind on by the promptings of the spirit of god, and switch it off at the promptings of evil spirits. I also use my mind to wash the dishes.

Heneni

That's what the evil spirits want you to think.

Heneni

Miss Independent
What's the difference between a soul and a spirit? And how do we know our gods aren't evil spirits in disguise?

The first question would take some explaining. But ok..if your really interested ill write up a post to explain it.

As for your second question.

An evil spirit (god) does not:

1. Bring glory to god
2. Is self serving
3. Disguises itself as good. Like carbonmonoxide it lingers around undetected while it destroys whatever its hanging around.

There is no point in becoming some sort of spirit indentifying vigilante. The spirit of god is quite capable of determining the identity of foreign identities. The spirit of the children of god have an inbuilt intuition and conscience which stears them away from these things.

The spirit that is infused with god has the ability to decern between these things. Which is why we are admonished to stay AWAKE. The devil roams around like a roaring lion, seeking whom he can devour. Whatever unsuspecting mind, or spirit is up for grabs, he will devour. This devouring is violent, but to the person, it seems like transcendence, or freedom, or liberty, or enlightenment. Satan is not called the master of deception for nothing.

These people dont walk around necessarily appearing to be demon possesssed. These spirits know its a bad strategy to be detected.

Hence...they hide...and dont come into the light so that their deeds can be exposed. But mostly the mocking spirits have a bit of a problem remaining undetected when the light shines on them. Thats why they hide from the light. But when the light shines on them...the only recourse is mockery...slander...and violent opposition.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
An evil spirit (god) does not:
1. Bring glory to god
But it can bring false glory to a false god.

2. Is self serving
And the "real" god isn't? Is demanding glory, worship and obedience not self serving?

3. Disguises itself as good. Like carbonmonoxide it lingers around undetected while it destroys whatever its hanging around.
I thought Satan, demons, evil spirits, etc, etc. were known for being deceptive and manipulative? If evil didn't disguise as good, how would you explain false prophets, false religions, false gods, etc, etc?

There is no point in becoming some sort of spirit indentifying vigilante. The spirit of god is quite capable of determining the identity of foreign identities. The spirit of the children of god have an inbuilt intuition and conscience which stears them away from these things.
What about Jim Jones?

The spirit that is infused with god has the ability to decern between these things. Which is why we are admonished to stay AWAKE. The devil roams around like a roaring lion, seeking whom he can devour. Whatever unsuspecting mind, or spirit is up for grabs, he will devour. This devouring is violent, but to the person, it seems like transcendence, or freedom, or liberty, or enlightenment. Satan is not called the master of deception for nothing.

These people dont walk around necessarily appearing to be demon possesssed. These spirits know its a bad strategy to be detected.

Hence...they hide...and dont come into the light so that their deeds can be exposed. But mostly the mocking spirits have a bit of a problem remaining undetected when the light shines on them. Thats why they hide from the light. But when the light shines on them...the only recourse is mockery...slander...and violent opposition.

Am I an evil spirit, or potentially even Satan himself? Sweet.

Heneni

Miss Independent
Am I an evil spirit, or potentially even Satan himself? Sweet.

Oh come now...its not over until the fat lady sings. The prostitute riding the beast will come to her end. It doesnt work out well for her or her subjects.

There is always twenty 'buts' that can counter anything i say. I can also..'but' everything god wants too. BUT....even though god doesnt mind us questioning things...he does mind when we refuse to accept the answer. When we dont want the healing of god in our lives what is he suppose to do? Force us. He wont. God will not come to us on our terms.

When all we have had to rely on most of our lives is ourselves, letting go of ourselves and surrendering it into the hands of god is not easy. Everything else have dissapointed us. Why wouldnt god. And he will dissapoint as long as we try to do things on our terms.

Back to the topic:

Since god hasnt danced to the pipes of the world, they have decided to make themselves god. Smart move? Well i dont think so. It didnt work out for satan before...but he is stubborn and he's just not letting up. But this time he is dragging mankind with him.

We have become his test tube babies. He's way to greatness. He took a third of the angels with him when he fell from glory, and through humanity he might just get a host of subjects willing to fight against god. He might have lost the war once. But he thinks he can win it this time. With billions of people under his control. Billions who have surrendered their authority over to him. He thinks he has a good chance. Who will go down with him? Will he rush to your aid, when the mountains start falling. Will he rush to your aid when the whole sea turns into blood? Or will you have to be his slave.....with the nasty realisation that you were his pawn all along, and there is nothing in it for you other than death.

Satan knows what kind of world this was when it was first created. He is trying to make people believe that the same kind of eutopia is possible with his help. Or rather, right now hes making mankind believe that they can actually return to eden without god. And it doesnt have to realise, well because it never will. The nature of mankind without god is not keen on sharing. They will never completely reach the ideal of a world not run by economics. A world were there is peace and enough for everybody. But as long as he can make you think that you can achieve this goal, you'll be on his side. Of course when the son of god does appear with judgement, who will the world be fighting against? Against the one who has come to destroy this earth. The new earth aint going to be this one. The new earth will have no serpent seed, no beguiling influences. Filled with meek people who have no desire for power or glory.

When jesus returns. Satan would have made himself look like the saviour of the world, and jesus as the destroyer of this world. Who do you think man is going to fight against? When they have enlightened their senses with the fact that they are ONE with this world...that we are all one and connected, there will be a sense of unity. And especially when their common enemy becomes god, they will unite even more so.

The new age movement is key to gathering satans army together. People who see a vision of peace and tranquility, of hope and generosity, where they can be who they want to be without any moral interference from others. And what will happen? Jesus will pitch up. And humanity will try to kill him, once again.

History has a funny way of repeating itself.

Heneni