• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Frubal?

Would you like this new frubal?

• Yes! Add a prayer/well wishes frubal.

Votes: 14 41.2%
  • No, we have enough as it is.

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Let's trade the angry frubal for the prayer/well wishes frubal.

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Other

Votes: 10 29.4%

• Total voters

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
I don't think it's ridiculous for some members (both religious and irreligious) to oppose a new prayer frubal, considering the fact that this forum represents different religions, atheists, and agnostics. In my opinion, a prayer frubal isn't as inclusive of all the members as the optimistic and angry frubals are. It can also be abused and used to antagonize nonbelievers, and given my experience on this forum, I can envision that happening quite often. In my experience, the bullying and antagonizing behavior of some theists on this forum is a general occurrence and a problem that has yet to be resolved.
Again, this is a religious board, not a secular or atheist board, and bullying and harassment is already against the rules.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
In my experience, the bullying and antagonizing behavior of some theists on this forum is a general occurrence, and I consider it a real problem that has yet to be resolved.
To be fair, that cuts both ways. As a believer I have experienced the bullying and antagonizing behavior of some atheists on this forum.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I was a Christian, but I was not abused as some of the ex-Christians here were. So I do not have the same feelings about their old religion as I do.
Most atheists in this country were formerly Christians. I have met many atheists on other forums and all of them were ex-Christians.
Most of them were offended by Christians even if they were never abused by Christians. You are just more of a laid back guy. :)

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
But oftentimes, there are ample attempts to aggressively impose a religion on nonbelievers such as myself, as I explained in my prior posts. I see it as not only unwelcome but also personally insulting to be told that I'm a sinner and going to hell or that my belief in earthbound spirits is demonic in nature. I was at a breaking point a few weeks ago and left because the emotional strain was too much for me in the midst of other personal hardships in my life. I began to think that the staff was purposefully ignoring the posts where there were repeated attempts to aggressively preach and proselytize in spite of the backlash from others. That's how I felt at the time, and to be honest, my sentiment hasn't changed since I've been back. Of course, this is my opinion.

I don't think staff can read every post so report posts that you feel break the rules. And don't let it get to you.

In addition to what @ChristineM said about reporting posts given the staff's inability to read every post, we have also had considerable difficulties with the flow of moderation after the software change due to the absence of tools that immensely speeded up the process. We're not enjoying that more than anyone else would, but we're doing what we can as volunteers with no control over the backend of the forum software.

I'm sorry to hear about the personal hardships, and I hope things are improving for you now. I'm glad to see that you're active here again.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
To be fair, that cuts both ways. As a believer I have experienced the bullying and antagonizing behavior of some atheists on this forum.

Yes, I know. I've experienced some negativity from a couple of atheists in the two years I've been a member. One was belittling me, and the other was rude. However, the vast majority of the bullying, name-calling, and false accusations I've dealt with on this forum have come from Abrahamic theists.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Most atheists in this country were formerly Christians. I have met many atheists on other forums and all of them were ex-Christians.
Most of them were offended by Christians even if they were never abused by Christians. You are just more of a laid back guy. :)

I don't think an atheist who is a former Christian has to be abused by Christians to justify being offended by them. Most of the Christians I've met here on RF, elsewhere online, or in real life are offensive when they accuse nonbelievers of being sinners, that they actually believe in God but are being rebellious, so they say that they don't believe in God, or repeatedly tell nonbelievers that they're going to hell for their sins and for not accepting Jesus as their savior.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Now that's a frubal i can go with
I think that frubal would be okay since it could be used by everyone, believers or nonbelievers.
But is really close in meaning to the Wow frubal, so I don't think we really need it.
Also, it could be used to insult people, and I don't like that.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I don't think an atheist who is a former Christian has to be abused by Christians to justify being offended by them. Most of the Christians I've met here on RF, elsewhere online, or in real life are offensive when they accuse nonbelievers of being sinners, that they actually believe in God but are being rebellious, so they say that they don't believe in God, or repeatedly tell nonbelievers that they're going to hell for their sins and for not accepting Jesus as their savior.
No, I am a Baha'i and I am offended by some of the things Christians say, like Jesus is the only way, everyone who has not been saved by Jesus is going to hell, and everyone who doesn't believe is a sinner. However, those things are like water off a duck's back for me since I am firm in my own beliefs, so I know those things are not true.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
In addition to what @ChristineM said about reporting posts given the staff's inability to read every post, we have also had considerable difficulties with the flow of moderation after the software change due to the absence of tools that immensely speeded up the process. We're not enjoying that more than anyone else would, but we're doing what we can as volunteers with no control over the backend of the forum software.

I had not realized that the software changed had impacted you badly as well.

2c8.jpg

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.

I'm sorry to hear about the personal hardships, and I hope things are improving for you now. I'm glad to see that you're active here again.

I truly appreciate your kind response, Debater Slayer, and I apologize for my impatience. As a former Christian and survivor of childhood abuse, I feel like a few Christians on this forum are verbally abusive by talking down to me or others and unjustly accusing me or others. I will say that it has been triggering at times, and it has become an issue for me. In fact, there are times when I log in that I just can't bring myself to post after reading the kinds of accusations I've described in my other posts. My time on RF isn't as enjoyable as it used to be. I've definitely learned how to be on my guard when I'm logged in here.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
An important point I just thought of is that if a person cannot see anything except from their own viewpoint or belief, then they are going to have issues getting along with other people who don't share their viewpoint or beliefs. I know Baha'is on this forum who have that problem, it is not only Christians. Those Baha'is can try to pretend they accept everyone but that doesn't go over very well since people can see through that.

Most Abrahamic religious people cannot see anything from the viewpoint of atheists, they just reject that viewpoint out of hand and some try to convince atheists of their beliefs. My approach has always been different. I strive to understand the atheist viewpoint, particularly why they don't believe in God, and I have no interest in convincing anyone of my beliefs.

I have always been much more interested in psychology than religion, so understanding people is an interest of mine. It is no secret to those who know me that I don't like religion, and I am not all too fond of God either, so that makes it easier for me to see the atheist viewpoint on religion and God.
I understand that it is harder for people who like religion and God to see things from an atheist viewpoint, people like my friend @Truthseeker. :)