• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Frubal?

Would you like this new frubal?

• Yes! Add a prayer/well wishes frubal.

Votes: 14 41.2%
  • No, we have enough as it is.

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Let's trade the angry frubal for the prayer/well wishes frubal.

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Other

Votes: 10 29.4%

• Total voters

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
This has never been my position here. I never said I was opposed to a secular one, though I can understand how this could be inferred given my challenges to those that want a secular one and oppose a religious one.

My position based on the feedback in this thread is to have both a prayer frubal and a care/well wishes similar to the one @sun rise suggested in the thread.
I do not have a problem with that, but if you do that then you either would need to make it clear that theists (and almost always Christians of the more fundamentalist stripe) need to be told not to use it in a smug "I will pray for you" in a debate way, Just as it would be inappropriate for an atheist to tell a theist "I will think for you". Both are wrong and not conducive to a healthy discussion.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
If you feel religion is being imposed on you on a forum called 'religious forums' I don't really know what to say.

But oftentimes, there are ample attempts to aggressively impose a religion on nonbelievers such as myself, as I explained in my prior posts. I see it as not only unwelcome but also personally insulting to be told that I'm a sinner and going to hell or that my belief in earthbound spirits is demonic in nature. I was at a breaking point a few weeks ago and left because the emotional strain was too much for me in the midst of other personal hardships in my life. I began to think that the staff was purposefully ignoring the posts where there were repeated attempts to aggressively preach and proselytize in spite of the backlash from others. That's how I felt at the time, and to be honest, my sentiment hasn't changed since I've been back. Of course, this is my opinion.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
But oftentimes, there are ample attempts to aggressively impose a religion on nonbelievers such as myself, as I explained in my prior posts. I see it as not only unwelcome but also personally insulting to be told that I'm a sinner and going to hell or that my belief in earthbound spirits is demonic in nature. I was at a breaking point a few weeks ago and left because the emotional strain was too much for me in the midst of other personal hardships in my life. I began to think that the staff was purposefully ignoring the posts where there were repeated attempts to aggressively preach and proselytize in spite of the backlash from others. That's how I felt at the time, and to be honest, my sentiment hasn't changed since I've been back. Of course, this is my opinion.

I don't think staff can read every post so report posts that you feel break the rules. And don't let it get to you.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
I don't think staff can read every post so report posts that you feel break the rules. And don't let it get to you.

I have reported the posts I'm referring to; however, the contentious behavior of the Abrahamic theists I have in mind continues. RF was once a relatively enjoyable experience for me, but it isn't so much anymore because of what I've witnessed and personally experienced with these particular theists.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
I have reported the posts I'm referring to; however, the contentious behavior of the Abrahamic theists I have in mind continues. RF was once a relatively enjoyable experience for me, but it isn't so much anymore because of what I've witnessed and personally experienced with these particular theists.
Have you considered placing these members on ignore?

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Have you considered placing these members on ignore?

Yes, I have. I've tried it, but it became a nuisance to me due to all these theists I had to ignore. It made it difficult for me to follow the flow of a thread. So now I have an ongoing list of these members that I will no longer respond to, even if they reply to my posts. That seems to be the best approach for now.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Greetings RFians!

After receiving a suggestion for such, the staff have been considering adding a "prayers/well wishes" frubal. But, we wanted to get an idea about how the community felt about it.

We understand there are a lot of frubals already; there is an option in the poll for replacing the 'angry' frubal rather than just adding a new one.

Please let us know what you think!
I would not mind a well wishes frubal, but I think a prayer frubal would offend some people, especially atheists and agnostics. I would be offended by it and I am a believer!

I think we should keep the angry frubal. One never knows when they might need it, and it is better that using angry words in a post.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Abuse of the frubal would be banned the same way abuse of the funny rating is banned.
The problem is, what would be considered abuse? If a believer gave an atheist a prayer frubal that might be offensive, and they could give it in order to be facetious. How could anyone know their true intention?

In real life when people say "I will pray for you" I feel uncomfortable and I am a believer! I don't think that people should say that unless they know the beliefs of the person they are talking to.

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I would consider that an insult.
I can be a bit looser, but I have far too often seen theists abuse the phrase "I will pray for you" implying that I was in the wrong and needed his prayers. If someone truly felt for me, for example if @Dan From Smithville used that phrase I would gladly accept it as him supporting me. I won't name anyone that I would take it as being an insult if they posted it to or about me, but we both know that they are out there.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
It would be okay if people used it appropriately for people they know would not be offended by receiving it.
But what I can see happening is that it might be used by believers to send atheists a message and that might be offensive.
Using emojis to bully is already against the rules. I really think this uproar over a prayer emoji on a religious forum is more than a bit ridiculous.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I can be a bit looser, but I have far too often seen theists abuse the phrase "I will pray for you" implying that I was in the wrong and needed his prayers. If someone truly felt for me, for example if @Dan From Smithville used that phrase I would gladly accept it as him supporting me. I won't name anyone that I would take it as being an insult if they posted it to or about me, but we both know that they are out there.
Yes, you are different because you have a different personality. That is why you would take it differently.
We cannot protect everyone's feelings on a public forum but I think we should try not to offend anyone, intentionally or unintentionally.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Yes, you are different because you have a different personality. That is why you would take it differently.
We cannot protect everyone's feelings on a public forum but I think we should try not to offend anyone, intentionally or unintentionally.
Some of the ex-Christians here have a history of abuse by Christians so I can understand why they would react more strongly than I would. Please note I did not say or imply that those who would take it as an offense were wrong. For me it would be a case by case situation. I won't say that all would be good or bad. But for at least two, no I am going to say three members that I know of I could see how they would react negatively and I would not blame them one bit.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Some of the ex-Christians here have a history of abuse by Christians so I can understand why they would react more strongly than I would. Please note I did not say or imply that those who would take it as an offense were wrong. For me it would be a case by case situation. I won't say that all would be good or bad. But for at least two, no I am going to say three members that I know of I could see how they would react negatively and I would not blame them one bit.
Also, I don't think you were ever a Christian, were you? Having been a Christian, and now an ex-Christian, makes one more vulnerable to feeling offended.
I was never a Christian so I am not offended by Christians, not usually.

Last edited:

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
I don't think it's ridiculous for some members (both religious and irreligious) to oppose a new prayer frubal, considering the fact that this forum represents different religions, atheists, and agnostics. In my opinion, a prayer frubal isn't as inclusive of all the members as the optimistic and angry frubals are. It can also be abused and used to antagonize nonbelievers, and given my experience on this forum, I can envision that happening quite often. In my experience, the bullying and antagonizing behavior of some theists on this forum is a general occurrence, and I consider it a real problem that has yet to be resolved.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Also, I don't think you were ever a Christian, were you? Having been a Christian, and now an ex-Christian, makes one more vulnerable to feeling offended.
I was never a Christian so I am not offended by Christians, not usually.
I was a Christian, but I was not abused as some of the ex-Christians here were. So I do not have the same feelings about their old religion as I do.