• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Non Christians are more evil than all Christians combined

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Can you please provide an example of a scenario where an atheist insulting your for not believing in evolution? How would they even know if you don't shove the fact that you don't believe in evolution in their face?
If you go into any unmoderated chatroom, you will have no shortage of mean spirited people, some of whom insult those who believe in evolution, and others who insult those who don't.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Good and evil exist on a spectrum. Unkindness is definitely much closer to evil than to good. Let's not underestimate the harm that unkindness can do.

Let's also not underestimate the harm of false claims and over exaggeration.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
If you go into any unmoderated chatroom, you will have no shortage of mean spirited people, some of whom insult those who believe in evolution, and others who insult those who don't.
You conveniently ignored the second question, though neither were directed at you.

But since you replied, I think you're confusing criticism a belief and insulting a person.

IndigoChild5559

Let's also not underestimate the harm of false claims and over exaggeration.
Exaggeration? I made it very clear that unkindness was not on par with things like serial killers. My point is that unkindness harms others, which puts it on the evil side of the spectrum. Do you really disagree with that? Because if you are trying to diminish the harm unkindness does, you won't find support from me.

IndigoChild5559

But since you replied, I think you're confusing criticism a belief and insulting a person.
Not in the slightest. I have nothing against disagreeing and asking hard questions. I routinely do such things, and have such directed towards me, and I have to say I find such discussions instructive.

No, my comment was about abusive comments. bigotry. hate. deliberately misrepresenting what another actually believes. Setting up strawmen. And don't forget the old, "I know what you say, but deep in your heart you REALLY don't believe that." Just today, I had to deal with a person who said the Catholic church was behind Nazism, and another who said that Europe should be reserved for "Europeans," (meaning white). I myself got called a "genocide lover." So yes, I very much do know what an insult is.

So now that we are clear I know what an insult is, I'll say again that I've seen people insulted for believing in evolution, and I've seen people insulted for not believing in evolution.

Unmoderated chatrooms are absolute cesspools.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
No, my comment was about abusive comments. bigotry. hate. deliberately misrepresenting what another actually believes. Setting up strawmen.
Misrepresenting what another actually believes still isn't an insult. It's rude and dishonest, but nonetheless, not an insult.

And don't forget the old, "I know what you say, but deep in your heart you REALLY don't believe that."
This isn't an insult. It's a misrepresentation that speaks to belief, not character.

Just today, I had to deal with a person who said the Catholic church was behind Nazism, and another who said that Europe should be reserved for "Europeans," (meaning white).
The former is misinformation. The latter is a racist generalization.

I myself got called a "genocide lover." So yes, I very much do know what an insult is.
I'm not convinced you do know what an insult is. This is the only actual example of an insult in your post.

So now that we are clear I know what an insult is...
Are we, though? I'm not.

...I'll say again that I've seen people insulted for believing in evolution, and I've seen people insulted for not believing in evolution.

Unmoderated chatrooms are absolute cesspools.
You still haven't addressed the second question in the post you quoted...
How would they even know if you don't shove the fact that you don't believe in evolution in their face?

If you are going to lay your beliefs out before others, especially when unsolicited, then you have, yourself, subjected them to criticism by others.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Exaggeration? I made it very clear that unkindness was not on par with things like serial killers. My point is that unkindness harms others, which puts it on the evil side of the spectrum. Do you really disagree with that? Because if you are trying to diminish the harm unkindness does, you won't find support from me.

I was talking about the OP

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I get what you're saying, but it does seem a black and white approach. Is it really evil? It can be mean, it is anti-social, but to me evil seems harsh and judging too strongly. Hitler, Pol Pot, John Gacey, those were evil men. Ted Bundy is said to have been the very definition of heartless evil.
Being unkind can have deleterious effects on others, but is it really evil? Afterall, it's not unusual for someone who's autistic to say something that gets interpreted as mean even though it wasn't the intention.

IndigoChild5559

I get what you're saying, but it does seem a black and white approach. Is it really evil? It can be mean, it is anti-social, but to me evil seems harsh and judging too strongly. Hitler, Pol Pot, John Gacey, those were evil men. Ted Bundy is said to have been the very definition of heartless evil.
Being unkind can have deleterious effects on others, but is it really evil? Afterall, it's not unusual for someone who's autistic to say something that gets interpreted as mean even though it wasn't the intention.
While there are many people who do in fact view it as a black white thing (and some who view it as a black only thing), that is clearly not the case with me, or I would never have made the disclaimer that unkindness was not an par with serial killing.

I absolutely view this whole thing as being a spectrum. Almost everything falls either on one SIDE of the spectrum or the other, but can still be more of "this" than "that."

In terms of people, I almost always describe three groups.
  1. The first includes those people who are so especially good and caring that others take note. In my religion we call these tzaddikim, or righteous people.
  2. On the other end of the spectrum are those who have no conscience and, although they are a small minority of the population, manage to do an incredible amount of harm. Not only do they feel no remorse, but they can even find the suffering of others to be a very interesting curiosity, sometimes even pleasurable. These are the resha'im, the profoundly wicked. Psalm 53 says "The resha'im become estranged from the womb; those who speak lies go astray from birth."
  3. But the vast majority of people are in the mediocre middle (including me). We do screw up, sometimes quite often, but when we do we feel bad about it, and we resolve to not do it again.

Eliana

In my experience almost every encounter with non Christians has been infinitely worse than any interactions that I have had with Christians. For example Muslims give me dirty looks and look down on me and atheists don't care about my suffering and insult me for not believing in evolution.

924aox.jpg

CeilTempest

In my experience almost every encounter with non Christians has been infinitely worse than any interactions that I have had with Christians. For example Muslims give me dirty looks and look down on me and atheists don't care about my suffering and insult me for not believing in evolution.
I think it comes down to the human heart, how evil it can be i mean. Its not about being a christian or not. Yes for Christains we have the great book (the Holy Bible) that teaches us how to live, the Holy Spirit that guides and helps keep our evil desires at bay etc. Even Christians can be the most evil people, you just haven't encountered them. Most of my painful experiences have come from people who identify or profess to the a christian. Notice i used 'identify' because not everyone who says they are a christian are truely born again and have a relationship with God.