• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

None of it is true - Does this bother anyone?

PureX

Veteran Member
How then can anyone actually believe this stuff?

With a huge pinch of salt,although there are some great stories in the Bible.
What puzzles me is the assumption that these stories are meant to be "believed" in the first place. They were told and written by men who used them as springboards for discussion, debate, and contemplation. They were not written to be "believed" as though they were newspaper accounts of actual events. I am quite certain that the originators of these stories would be very puzzled indeed by all these current day "believers" who think these stories are being told by God and are an accurate depiction of events.

To the OT authors, these stories were intellectual doorways leading to a relationship with God that was very real, very personal, and very dynamic. Their God was a "living God" that lived in their minds and hearts and showed up in their discussions and debates with each other about this divine mystery. They did not intend to depict a God of made of facts and answers, it's about a God of questions; the great unanswerable questions. Their "God" was an idea and a spirit to be grappled with. To be contended with. And ultimately to be defeated and humbled by.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
What puzzles me is the assumption that these stories are meant to be "believed" in the first place. They were told and written by men who used them as springboards for discussion, debate, and contemplation. They were not written to be "believed" as though they were newspaper accounts of actual events. I am quite certain that the originators of these stories would be very puzzled indeed by all these current day "believers" who think these stories are being told by God and are an accurate depiction of events.

To the OT authors, these stories were intellectual doorways leading to a relationship with God that was very real, very personal, and very dynamic. Their God was a "living God" that lived in their minds and hearts and showed up in their discussions and debates with each other about this divine mystery. They did not intend to depict a God of made of facts and answers, it's about a God of questions; the great unanswerable questions. Their "God" was an idea and a spirit to be grappled with. To be contended with. And ultimately to be defeated and humbled by.

I agree,i don't think it was ever meant to be taken literally.

slave2six

Substitious
What puzzles me is the assumption that these stories are meant to be "believed" in the first place. They were told and written by men who used them as springboards for discussion, debate, and contemplation.
Uh-huh. Right. That would explain the devout attitudes of believes in Judeo-Christianity over the past four millennia as well as all those holy wars.

It was just a springboard for discussion? Methinks not.

cardero

Citizen Mod
Caladan writes: And how would that help us get further insight into our own history?

We might not be able to completely know and understand our past. The barbaric burning and censoring of chronological texts has always thwarted us and has left us with an incomplete picture of our historical ancestry.

Caladan writes: would a new Bible give us a taste of the minds and ideologies of people during the Iron Age, during the eras of the vast empires of the ANE, or during the times of the Roman Empire?

This would depend on if these eras interest us as individuals. I am someone who lives in the NOW so most of the kNOWledge that I procure and reason with has to be practical to my present existence and my current circumstances.

The Bible is a book that is purported to be about the relationship and interaction of God with members of humankind and the proposed universal and personal truths derived from these relations. From what I understand, after 2000 years, there seems to be major misunderstandings and discrepancies about the scriptures and how exactly they are to be interpreted to fit into the past and into our modern world. In other words, there is a lot of faith associated with a book that is supposed to be about truth.

PureX

Veteran Member
Uh-huh. Right. That would explain the devout attitudes of believes in Judeo-Christianity over the past four millennia as well as all those holy wars.

It was just a springboard for discussion? Methinks not.
Please explain what you mean by "devout" attitudes. And what holy wars? The only holy wars I am aware of took place just a few centuries ago, and were carried out by Christians, not Jews.

You should look closer at the way the ancient Jews used their texts. They did not study them in silence as though they were written by God himself, but instead used them to inspire daily thought, discussion and debate. Their idea of "the living God" was all about how the god-concept infused their daily lives. Stories like that of Job were intended to force the reader/listener to ask themselves difficult questions regarding the relationship between man and God. They were not intended to give men pat answers, they were intended to present dilemmas, and therefor to continue the dialogue. The ancient Jewish religion was all about this living dialogue with and about "God". They believed that the highest task a man could put himself to was to
study and debate over the mystery of God. This is what it meant to be a "devout" Jew.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist

This would depend on if these eras interest us as individuals. I am someone who lives in the NOW so most of the kNOWledge that I procure and reason with has to be practical to my present existence and my current circumstances.
Thats very romantic. but we might as well throw out all history studying and all history knowledge out the window if that is the case. history has a relevant and living echo and effect on our here and now. even the Roman times have visible marks in our life.
The Bible is a book that is purported to be about the relationship and interaction of God with members of humankind and the proposed universal and personal truths derived from these relations. From what I understand, after 2000 years, there seems to be major misunderstandings and discrepancies about the scriptures and how exactly they are to be interpreted to fit into the past and into our modern world. In other words, there is a lot of faith associated with a book that is supposed to be about truth.
Then you are reading it wrong, or in any case you may have let evangelists tell you what you should read out of the bible. for me the Bible is a window into the past, its a chance to study the ideologies that the classes of ancient Judah promoted, it is a chance to understand how ANE cosmogony and religion has evolved, and many other factors. faith is not even an issue.