• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

North Carolina Magistrate refuses to marry interracial couple.

dust1n

Zindīq
It is certainly a valid comparison though I'd still like to know which religion forbids inter-racial marriage.

Presumably anyone who doesn't like inter-racial marriage, their particular interpretation of this or that has allowed for such arguments to be made from the premises of the Bible.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
An interracial couple tried to get married in the state of North Carolina. They were refused not by one but by two Magistrates in their local courthouse. Both cited religious reasons for refusing to marry them.

source

Should Government employees be allowed to refuse to marry couples if doing so goes against their sincerely held religious views?
No. If they can't fulfill their responsibilities, they must resign.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
bump bump sha-bump bump, bumpity bump ba-bump.

So in light of the story in the news the last few weeks about a certain Kentucky clerk, I though I would bring this little thread back and ask the following questions.

Do those people who think Kim Davis is a hero also think that the magistrates who refused Carol Ann and Thomas (please read the OP) are also heroes? Do those who applaud and respect Kim Davis for standing up for her religious freedom" also applaud these magistrates for standing up for their religious beliefs?

Or if you think there is a significant difference between what these government officials did in 1977 and what this Kentucky clerk is doing now in 2015, please tell us what the difference is.

Last edited:

JoStories

Well, not being American, I haven't run into this. Like, it was somewhat scandalous here in Canada in the 50's but not much since...
Unfortunately, and I mean that, I am american, and find that this kind of thinking is more prevalent than some would like to admit. Thinking of this kind continues to exist even today and it nauseates me. Consider the ravings of Tramp...I mean Trump and his views on Latinos and immigrants, just as one example. Never mind the fact that anyone not Native American is an immigrant themselves and can collectively kiss my NA arse.

JoStories

bump bump sha-bump bump, bumpity bump ba-bump.

So in light of the story in the news the last few weeks about a certain Kentucky clerk, I though I would bring this little thread back and ask the following questions.

Do those people who think Kim Davis is a hero also think that the magistrates who refused Carol Ann and Thomas (please read the OP) are also heroes? Do those who applaud and respect Kim Davis for standing up for her religious freedom" also applaud these magistrates for standing up for their religious beliefs?

Or if you think there is a significant difference between what these government officials did in 1977 and what this Kentucky clerk is doing now in 2015, please tell us what the difference is.
In answer to your first question, I would say its a resounding yes. There was an editorial by Mark Harmon I think his name is in the Sunday paper about him standing with Kim David, citing that SSM was passed only as a knee jerk reaction to what some of the populace wanted and that her stance was indeed a correct one. He had a website listed called "IstandwithKimDavis.com" or something to that effect. In effect, and IMO, the man was advocating breaking the law based on religious premise being totally acceptable. I've no idea if this man is Christian but my thoughts would be he is. And in answer to your 2nd question, no, I do not think there is any difference. It was wrong then and its wrong now.

JoStories

You misunderstood me. Providing insurance and solemnizing marriages does not violate "sincerely held religious beliefs." If your religion prohibits interracial marriage, then don't marry someone of another race. Let other people decided what's best for them. Religion needs to be kept out of government.
Agreed except that in this case, religion has been forced head first into government and it is wrong, no matter now one slices it. Kim Davis needs to resign but she won't as she has the bit in her mouth and apparently, at least for her, it tastes good. Not to mention she has the backing of Huckabee and so on.

InfiniteZero

Having grown up in Oklahoma, small town (Thank God for the Internet), I can tell you that the Ku Klux Klan is alive and well, though quiet and fringe. A woman I went to school with got booted out of her church for marrying a black man (she is white and a Southern Baptist at a small church). Now, let me say that not all Southern Baptists hold this view, but there are many today that still do. There are Biblical passages in support of this view. I will give a link for any curious to peruse.

http://thetencommandmentsministry.us/ministry/blog/articles/30-reasons-for-segregation-of-races/

The correlations between then and now are fascinating. I used to work with an avid white supremist (I was a graveyard shift security guard and that sort of work draws some seriously interesting types) who actually pointed out that this "gay marriage" just proves what a mistake interracial marriage was and vindicates he and his brethren. He was right. The traditionalist planted the poison seed when they contorted the Bible to allow for interracial marriage. LGBT folks like me getting married is just fruit of the fifty plus year old poison tree.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Exit question: What on earth religion forbids inter-racial marriage again?

Christian Identity
Nation of Islam and similar racist black power sects, including racist "black Israelite" cults
Racist Asatru/Odinism/Wotanism (David Lane used WOTAN as an acronym for "Will Of The Aryan Nation") and other racist European revival movements (especially in Russia)
Esoteric/occult Nazism
Ariosophy
neo-Nazi Satanism
Cosmotheism (William Pierce's made up religion)
Creativity (formally World Church of the Creator)
Kinism (another white supremacist cult; popular with paleocons)
Old-school Southern Baptists
Mormon fundies
Far-right Hindus
Far-right Jews (like Kahanists)
That Urantia Book also support racism and eugenics.
There's also racist Muslims (they tend to hate blacks and Jews), and, if I recall correctly, there are religious arguments they use for it.

There's a bunch of other racist whackjob cults within neopaganism, occultism, New Age, etc. But you get the picture.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
It isn't a Christian ideal.
... any more.

"Christians" might have done this, but so goes the story; God, the great scapegoat? I don't know.
God has always just been the personification of the believer's ideas of perfection. You find racism distasteful, so your God is opposed to racism. They saw nothing wrong with racism, so their God was racist.

It isn't a biblical concept, though.
... any more.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I noticed that. I am fully aware of that and was full aware of that when I made this thread. I didn't mention it because it doesn't matter. The question is just as relevant today as it was then.

I think it is important to learn from history, otherwise we will be doomed to repeat it.

Are you willing to fight another war over it because I feel strongly enough about my beliefs to do so.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Are you willing to fight another war over it because I feel strongly enough about my beliefs to do so.
Yes, absolutely! This is a cause I would happily give my life for. And I am not alone in thinking that. If you want to go to war, you will lose.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Yes, absolutely! This is a cause I would happily give my life for. And I am not alone in thinking that. If you want to go to war, you will lose.

I believe We win in the end. We have a higher power fighting for us. Just ask the Pharaoh of Egypt how his army fared in the Red Sea.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I believe We win in the end. We have a higher power fighting for us. Just ask the Pharaoh of Egypt how his army fared in the Red Sea.
People throughout history have claimed "God" was on their side in war. Half of them lost.

gottmituns.png

Last edited:

Sonofason

An interracial couple tried to get married in the state of North Carolina. They were refused not by one but by two Magistrates in their local courthouse. Both cited religious reasons for refusing to marry them.

source

Should Government employees be allowed to refuse to marry couples if doing so goes against their sincerely held religious views?
No one should ever do anything that goes against their beliefs. They made a very good choice. They'll probably lose their jobs, and the couple will likely be married, but their conscience will be clear.

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
No one should ever do anything that goes against their beliefs. They made a very good choice. They'll probably lose their jobs, and the couple will likely be married, but their conscience will be clear.

The incident in question took place 40 years ago. A future tense surmise as to the ability of the magistrates to hold onto their jobs and the likelihood of marriage for the couple in question seems a trifle odd. It's like predicting today the winner of the 1962 World Series.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I hope this is sarcastic. People have to stop being so self-centered. Just because you find something to be "wrong" subjectively, doesn't give you the right to make the lives of others harder. If you are a Magistrate, grow-up and do your job. If part of your job requires you to go against your conscience, resign.

jonathan180iq

Well, not being American, I haven't run into this. Like, it was somewhat scandalous here in Canada in the 50's but not much since...
We've had some serious problems in this country over the years,. You're lucky if you've never had to deal with anything like this. These latest attempts at protecting "religious liberty" are just another in a long line of anti-rational political movements by the moral majority.

main-qimg-f6d4a2e9a73ad7c3f30ee7dda023fea7

1775_16r1.jpg

3.jpg

8246662832_8981d0f525.jpg

08b7f92aa335e4a49a0fa92b88c4afdd.jpg

8e5ea6268962a87de2c31c962d419928.jpg

AHHHH, the good ol' days...

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Sonoreason post: 4497745 said:

The OP was confusing, as it didn't accurately give the time frame.
What made it relevant to the Kim Davis episode was this. The law had been in place for awhile and the government officials waited until it came before them to create a problem. If they found the law against their religious beliefs they were free to step down when it was passed in an orderly way. Instead they waited until they caused a problem for law abiding citizens, then got all self righteous.

That's the problem. Keeping a government position when you are not willing to do the job, not the religious beliefs themselves.
Tom