• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama couldn't govern himself out of a wet paper bag

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That is the whole point, to leave the middle class and become one of the upper class. The U.S.A. is one of the few places where that is even possible. Is it wrong to aspire to be a wealthy person? This is why the death tax is so wrong, what kind of world would it be without the Paris Hilton videos available on line?
I can agree that the death tax is a hateful thing, but we're going to be taxed somehow, & a lower death tax means other taxes would be higher.
The real question is which balance of taxes inhibits the economy least. I'd venture that lower payroll taxes is more stimulating than lower
death taxes. But what do I know? I'm one of those evil "market fundamentalists" who refuses to bash the wealthy.

waitasec

Veteran Member
I can agree that the death tax is a hateful thing, but we're going to be taxed somehow, & a lower death tax means other taxes would be higher.
The real question is which balance of taxes inhibits the economy least. I'd venture that lower payroll taxes is more stimulating than lower
death taxes. But what do I know? I'm one of those evil "market fundamentalists" who refuses to bash the wealthy.

if i may,
i thought what was on the table was for 5 million + on inheritance tax...or am i talking about something different?

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Too many muti-million dollar farms that were handed down for generations will not be handed down much longer. Many of these farms do not generate a 6 figure income and will have to be sold to pay the inheritance taxes.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
personally i think it's to high. it should be taxed from 2 million. but thats just me
:D
They could tax it starting with zero, & I'd be OK with it if it reduced other taxes.
But unfortunately, the gov't just seems out for all it can get, & it's all spent willy nilly.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
They could tax it starting with zero, & I'd be OK with it if it reduced other taxes.
But unfortunately, the gov't just seems out for all it can get, & it's all spent willy nilly.

Does anyone believe that the solution to balancing a national budget is more taxes?

The problem is spending. Entitlements and the military will have to be cut. The question is are we going to do this voluntarily or when we have no choice in the matter?

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
That is the whole point, to leave the middle class and become one of the upper class.

But not everyone can do that. Most people can't do that, or else they wouldn't be the upper class.

The U.S.A. is one of the few places where that is even possible.

No, it's not. You can do that in any western country. Examples include France, Canada, England, Denmark, Sweden, Germany, and those are just a few.

This is why the death tax is so wrong, what kind of world would it be without the Paris Hilton videos available on line?

I know this is a joke, but I don't get the connection. And it's not the death tax; it's the estate tax.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
And it's not the death tax; it's the estate tax.
Having an estate doesn't trigger the tax.
Dying does.
"Estate tax" is just a sanitized name to avoid directly admitting what it's really about.
Tis analogous to "collateral damage" referring to killing a whole lotta innocent people.

Mercy Not Sacrifice

I continue to find it absolutely laughable that the super-rich won't get their "fair share," while many Americans struggle to put food on the table through no fault of their own.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I continue to find it absolutely laughable that the super-rich won't get their "fair share," while many Americans struggle to put food on the table through no fault of their own.

Near as I can figure, about half of America's uber-rich have an exaggerated sense of privilege, little or no sense of social responsibility, and the morals of a sociopath. Other than that, they are fine people who deserve their wealth.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Too many muti-million dollar farms that were handed down for generations will not be handed down much longer. Many of these farms do not generate a 6 figure income and will have to be sold to pay the inheritance taxes.

Sorry, Rick, but that's just incorrect.

"The TaxPolicyCenter estimates that only 110 small-farm and small-business estates nationwide will owe any estate tax in 2011 if the 2009 estate tax levels are reinstated.[3] Since that figure also includes small business estates that are not farms, this means that fewer than 110 small-farm estates are likely to face the estate tax in 2011 if the 2009 rules are reinstated.

Moreover, this handful of taxable small-farm and small-business estates would owe only 11.3 percent of the estate’s value in tax, on average, according to the Tax Policy Center — well below the average effective tax rate of 18.9 percent for all taxable estates (and far below the top marginal rate for the estate tax of 45 percent under the 2009 rules).[4] One reason for the low effective tax rate is that the first $3.5 million of any estate (effectively $7 million for a couple) is entirely exempt from estate tax, and this large exemption generally protects a significant share of the value of small-business and small-farm estates from the tax. In addition, a number of special estate tax provisions targeted to small-business and small-farm estates (see page 4 for details) allow them to significantly reduce the amount of tax they owe, effectively increasing the exemption to $9 million per farming couple."

Link

Good job falling for the propaganda, though.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Having an estate doesn't trigger the tax.
Dying does.
"Estate tax" is just a sanitized name to avoid directly admitting what it's really about.
Tis analogous to "collateral damage" referring to killing a whole lotta innocent people.

No, it's not. You can all call it the inheritance tax, if you'd like, but death is not being taxed, the estate is. If you don't leave your estate to anyone, technically it doesn't get taxed.

Sorry, but it's not the death tax. That's just a buzz word created to turn people against it without even understanding it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
No, it's not. You can all call it the inheritance tax, if you'd like, but death is not being taxed, the estate is. If you don't leave your estate to anyone, technically it doesn't get taxed.

Sorry, but it's not the death tax. That's just a buzz word created to turn people against it without even understanding it.
Geeze Louise...no sense of humor.
"Death tax" is analogous to "payroll tax"...just convenient & more fun than the more official names.
(Official names are chosen to disguise the real intent. Just look at "affirmative action", which has no inherent meaning whatsoever. It just feels uplifting.)
I don't even oppose the death tax. It makes sense to have one.

Last edited:

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Geeze Louise...no sense of humor.
"Death tax" is analogous to "payroll tax"...just convenient & more fun than the more official names. (Official names are chosen to disguise the real intent. Just look at "affirmative action", which has no inherent meaning whatsoever.) I don't even oppose the death tax. It makes sense to have one.

I don't think those are analogous. "Death tax" was coined specifically to make it sound horrible, just like "death panels". I don't know about "payroll tax". Official names might sometimes be chosen to disguise the real intent, but a bland name is generally better than one designed to make it sound as bad as possible.

I have no doubt that you use "death tax" because it's convenient and fun, but it's still inaccurate. If you support the estate tax, then it would be better to not use "death tax".

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
"Death tax" was coined specifically to make it sound horrible, just like "death panels".
So what? Pithy names are invented all the time.
Btw, I also believe that "death panels" will be necessary & useful. I don't oppose'm.
I heard an NPR talking head deny their existence, saying that instead there would be "end of life panels". Oh yeah, that's really different.
Btw, here in Michigan we had what was called by Dems the "Polluter Pay Law". It sounds like polluters are made to pay for mitigating their
evil deeds, but actually the law just makes anyone in the chain of title pay for someone else's pollution. Both parties play this name game.
"Death tax" has an agenda, but at least it's honest.

If you support the estate tax, then it would be better to not use "death tax".
It's accurate because everyone knows exactly what I'm referring to.
Come on....admit that you just don't like "death tax" because it's so right wingy.

Last edited:

linwood

S
Come on....admit that you just don't like "death tax" because it's so right wingy.

I dislike "Death Tax" because it`s intentionally misleading in order to push a political agenda.

It is not a tax on death but a tax in redistribution of wealth of a dead person.

Using death and the emotional baggage that surrounds it to push a political ideology is...pretty ******* sick.

Last edited by a moderator:

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
So what? Pithy names are invented all the time.
Btw, I also believe that "death panels" will be necessary & useful. I don't oppose'm.
I heard an NPR talking head deny their existence, saying that instead there would be "end of life panels". Oh yeah, that's really different.
Btw, here in Michigan we had what was called by Dems the "Polluter Pay Law". It sounds like polluters are made to pay for mitigating their
evil deeds, but actually the law just makes anyone in the chain of title pay for someone else's pollution. Both parties play this name game.
"Death tax" has an agenda, but at least it's honest.

I'm not really concerned with whether other groups like democrats use the same tactic. Maybe they do, and if so, they're wrong, too. But no, the agenda behind "death tax" is not honest in the least.

It could be completely inaccurate, but people still know what you mean. It's been used so much, people have gotten used to it. As much as it's been used, it could have been called the "rooster tax" and still be recognized, despite its wild inaccuracy.

Nope, I dislike it because it's misleading and dishonest.