• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama couldn't govern himself out of a wet paper bag

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Nope. He just described an inheritance or estate tax, since those are the things being taxed.
Those are fine names too.
Payroll taxes don't tax a payroll; they tax wages, but the name is nevertheless appropriate.
We also know what a "sin tax" is, even though many of us don't even believe in "sin".
Out of curiosity, what would you call "affirmative action", if accuracy were the goal?

madhatter85

Transhumanist
Near as I can figure, about half of America's uber-rich have an exaggerated sense of privilege, little or no sense of social responsibility, and the morals of a sociopath. Other than that, they are fine people who deserve their wealth.

Sunstone, I seem to recall you blasting on about how our ideas are not based in studies or whatever. Now, where is your proof of these absurd arguments? :rolleyes:

madhatter85

Transhumanist
My rhetoric can beat up your rhetoric.
my-dad-can-beat-up.jpg

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Those are fine names too. Payroll taxes don't tax a payroll; they tax wages, but the name is nevertheless appropriate.We also know what a "sin tax" is, even though many of us don't even believe in "sin". Out of curiosity, what would you call "affirmative action", if accuracy were the goal?

I don't care about payroll taxes. "Sin taxes" is in the same boat as "death tax". And I don't know what I'd call affirmative action, especially since it is irrelevant here. The fact is "death tax" is a horrible name designed to mislead people into opposing it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
"Sin taxes" is in the same boat as "death tax".
Agreement?

And I don't know what I'd call affirmative action, especially since it is irrelevant here.
It's relevant because it points out how all sides give self-serving names. "Affirmative action", the darling
of lefties, might more accurately be called "corrective discrimination", but that would be too honest.
We're just stuck with whatever names stick.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Agreement?

It's relevant because it points out how all sides give self-serving names. "Affirmative action", the darling
of lefties, might more accurately be called "corrective discrimination", but that would be too honest.
We're just stuck with whatever names stick.

I don't think that makes it relevant. The question is not whether different groups perform the same behavior. The question is whether "death tax" is a good term to use.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't think that makes it relevant.
Too inconvenient?

The question is not whether different groups perform the same behavior. The question is whether "death tax" is a good term to use.
Both questions look valid to me.
But you really object to addressing the larger theme of misleading names, you could ask Madhatter, since it's his thread.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Too inconvenient?

Both questions look valid to me.
But you really object to addressing the larger theme of misleading names, you could ask Madhatter, since it's his thread.

Look, someone used the term "death tax" on this thread. I corrected him on it because it's a bad, misleading term to use.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Sunstone, I seem to recall you blasting on about how our ideas are not based in studies or whatever. Now, where is your proof of these absurd arguments? :rolleyes:

Did you read my statement, MH? I'm pretty sure that "Near as I can figure" indicated to any sane person that I was offering my personal opinion, and not necessarily anything but my personal opinion. Got a problem with someone offering their personal opinion on this board?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Look, someone used the term "death tax" on this thread. I corrected him on it because it's a bad, misleading term to use.

If it were a real death tax, everyone who died would have to pay it. But only those with very large estates have to pay it. So, it's more accurate to call it an estate tax. However, I don't expect there will be a rush on the part of Right Wing pundits to call it by its most accurate designation.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
Did you read my statement, MH? I'm pretty sure that "Near as I can figure" indicated to any sane person that I was offering my personal opinion, and not necessarily anything but my personal opinion. Got a problem with someone offering their personal opinion on this board?

so why the disdain for rich people there Sunstone? Jealousy? Do you just hate money?

Do you know half of the rich people in the U.S.?

How can you have an opinion of someone you don't even know or had any form of interaction with?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If it were a real death tax, everyone who died would have to pay it.
That's a rather strict & arbitrary definition. But by your rationale, the estate tax
would require that every estate would have to pay it. This also isn't the case.

However, I don't expect there will be a rush on the part of Right Wing pundits to call it by its most accurate designation.
Methinks you're concerned with making taxes look benign, rather than in accuracy.
I'm OK with both terms, since everyone knows what is meant.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
That is the whole point, to leave the middle class and become one of the upper class. The U.S.A. is one of the few places where that is even possible. Is it wrong to aspire to be a wealthy person?

Basically, yes, it is.

This is after all a world where way too many people suffer all kinds of indignities for a miriad of reasons derived from lack of money.

I don't know how you and others deal with it. Me, I have known way too many people from various social segments to really feel confortable with even the idea of being rich.

Not that I will ever have the chance, mind you. Odds are that I would cherish the thought more if it seemed attainable. I like to believe that I wouldn't, but who knows?

This is why the death tax is so wrong, what kind of world would it be without the Paris Hilton videos available on line?

"Death Tax" is indeed a very loaded and unfair name for inheritance taxes, as others have already said. People have no inate right to getting loads of money just because a rich relative died.