• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

On eating people

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Recently i've found out that PETA is actually just as bad as the right to life people in the fact that they'll torture people in order to attain their goals... extremists need to sit back and really look at themselves in the mirror. Although i'm a vegetarian for my religous beliefs, i dont think that being vegan is really good or bad one way or another... but i dont really understand the vegan cause... cheese wasnt killed in order for us to eat it...

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Ardent Listener said:
I just want to go on record that I'm against people eating other people. And you may quote me on that.:biglaugh:

Sincerely,

Ardent Listener
Well, this totally depends on how it is done.... ;) :D

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
painted wolf said:
well, we've been doing it since before we were 'human'... Eaven the Australopiticines were omnivors.
My religion is one of equality for ALL life, not just animals but plants as well. Frankly as long as the life you take is done with respect (and that is plant as well) then your good. You can not live without killing, the key is to be aware of the lives that sacrifice themselves for you and honor them for it.

wa:do
Ah well, I should have realized you would beat me to it.;)

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
THOU SHALL NOT KILL... Ok, then we should not eat meat. And you better not drive. You just might squash a bug on your windshield. And don't bathe. You might kill some germs. Let those ants go wild in your kitchen. Don't kill that cockroach! Don't de-flea your dog! Hey, don't wash your sheets, bed bugs have rights too! :)

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
jgallandt said:
THOU SHALL NOT KILL... Ok, then we should not eat meat. And you better not drive. You just might squash a bug on your windshield. And don't bathe. You might kill some germs. Let those ants go wild in your kitchen. Don't kill that cockroach! Don't de-flea your dog! Hey, don't wash your sheets, bed bugs have rights too! :)
I try very hard not to kill any living 'thing' be it plant or animal; as painted Wolof so aptly put it, I venerate the sacrifice of whatever has had to die for me to be fed.

I am very conscious of trying not to kill any bugs - even big black hairy spiders, of which i am afraid. I do not intentionally kill; I think that is the difference.:)

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
michel said:
I try very hard not to kill any living 'thing' be it plant or animal; as painted Wolof so aptly put it, I venerate the sacrifice of whatever has had to die for me to be fed.

I am very conscious of trying not to kill any bugs...
Fleas, ticks, skeeters, have on problem killing. But in Louisiana and Florida, they have a bug called the love bug. They mate while flying. So when they splatter on your windshield, you always get two. Feel bad about that!

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
jgallandt said:
Fleas, ticks, skeeters, have on problem killing. But in Louisiana and Florida, they have a bug called the love bug. They mate while flying. So when they splatter on your windshield, you always get two. Feel bad about that!
As you have said before, goodness knows how many 'creatures' we kill without even knowing they exist.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
gnosis_777 said:
but i dont really understand the vegan cause... cheese wasnt killed in order for us to eat it...
Cheese is dairy (obviously) and many believe that if you eat dairy you support the veal industry which does kill baby calves. The dairy cows are impregnated and when the calf is born the mother produces milk which is pumped to be sold. The male calves are taken away and made into veal and the female calves are kept to be dairy cows. This is what many object to when they choose to avoid dairy and are vegan. But a vegan diet means not consuming any animal products, which includes avoiding not only meat and dairy, but also eggs and (sometimes) honey as well. Many vegans also avoid using animals products such as leather and fur.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
gnosis_777 said:
Recently i've found out that PETA is actually just as bad as the right to life people in the fact that they'll torture people in order to attain their goals... extremists need to sit back and really look at themselves in the mirror. Although i'm a vegetarian for my religous beliefs, i dont think that being vegan is really good or bad one way or another... but i dont really understand the vegan cause... cheese wasnt killed in order for us to eat it...
Whenever you put something edible in your mouth, something had died for that to happen.

The Black Whirlwind

michel said:

I am very conscious of trying not to kill any bugs - even big black hairy spiders, of which i am afraid. I do not intentionally kill; I think that is the difference.:)
man, you do not know how much i hate spiders. I kill them on site, especially if they are in my room.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Fat Kat Matt said:
man, you do not know how much i hate spiders. I kill them on site, especially if they are in my room.
We have alot of brown recluse spiders here. My theory, get them before they get me. Same with wasps. My wife is allergic to them. I'll kill them in a New York minute.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Fat Kat Matt said:
I've told this one before, but to anyone who has heard it from me, my excuses.

There was a very wealthy land owner. he had a house built, with a beautiful long drive, manicured lawns, flower beds - his garden was a picture.

One day, while having breakfast, he looked over his beautiful garden........

to his horror, there, in the middle, a dandelion grew. He rushed outside, and took it out , root and all. A few days later, there were some more..........He went through everything he knew; he even got weedkiller, he tried everything. Still, those dandeliomns came through.

By now, feeling thoroughly frustrated, he got in touch with a local landscape gardner; The guy could tell him nothing that he hadn't already tried before. he tried everything he kew, and still, those dandelions came through.

Furious by now, he wrote to the Government agency responsible for flora and fauna.....a great big long letter detailing everything he had tried.

He could hardly contain his excitement when he saw the reply come through his letter box..........In a hurry, he opened the letter, where he saw:-

Dear Mr...............,

It sounds indeed as if you have taken all possible measures to rid your garden of dandelions. We do, however, feel that we have a solution for you.

Learn to love dandelions.

Yours, sincerely

I was afraid of spiders, of wasps, bees........Now I see them as God's creatures, and I have learned to love them.;)

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
michel said:

I'm the same way. My friends make fun of me all the time, because I'm the one that has the least amount of problem with the existence of violence, but yet they'll smash a harmless spider into the wall with a shoe, while I pick it up and put it outside. It makes me sick to my stomach to have to kill things. When I lived in the country, there are certain kinds of spiders that are poisonous, so you can't let them stay in your house and you can't handle them, so you have to kill them. Just made me feel awful... because they don't understand why they died and their death went to no greater end. But... it'd be idiotic not to kill a poisonous spider, because it could seriously harm or kill me, and survival is how natural measures success. :)

However, to kill for food is useful. Life was used for life. That's natures way.