• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One question for Creationists, and another for Evolutionists

Super Universe

Defender of God
Take all the elements of a cell and put them together into a mixing bowl. Does the cell come to life?

I'm not talking about transferring the DNA of a cell over to one without DNA in it's nucleus or RNA. I'm talking about assembling your own cell.

It doesn't come to life.

Hmm, I wonder why...

Booko

Deviled Hen
*** MOD POST ***

Several posts were deleted from this thread.

Please refrain from making personal remarks.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

camanintx

Take all the elements of a cell and put them together into a mixing bowl. Does the cell come to life?

I'm not talking about transferring the DNA of a cell over to one without DNA in it's nucleus or RNA. I'm talking about assembling your own cell.

It doesn't come to life.

Hmm, I wonder why...
How exactly do you define life? Are bacteria or viruses alive? If not, what characteristics are necessary for life? If you cannot say what life is, how can you say it is not simply chemical reactions?

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
fantôme profane;893081 said:
How many times does it need to be said that random chance is not the only alternative to intelligent design?

Neither "Intelligent Design" nor "Random Chance" operate in the slightest as a descriptive model of the universe. Both actually have as their referents purely mental phenomena. And neither functions in the realm of scientific method. "Random" and "intelligent" are relative judgments about how we perceive things.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
doppelgänger;893140 said:
Neither "Intelligent Design" nor "Random Chance" operate in the slightest as a descriptive model of the universe. Both actually have as their referents purely mental phenomena. And neither functions in the realm of scientific method. "Random" and "intelligent" are relative judgments about how we perceive things.
Agreed.

Super Universe

Defender of God
fantôme profane;893081 said:
How many times does it need to be said that random chance is not the only alternative to intelligent design?

Random chance? The universe is a million random chances hitting exactly perfect and all in a precise order.

Super Universe

Defender of God
How exactly do you define life? Are bacteria or viruses alive? If not, what characteristics are necessary for life? If you cannot say what life is, how can you say it is not simply chemical reactions?

How do I define life? That which possesses spirit.

Are bacteria or virus' alive? That depends. Bacteria and virus' have the ability to be killed so they are alive until they die.

You give way too much credit to chemicals. It's like praising the oil stuck to Van Gogh's canvas.

Super Universe

Defender of God
doppelgänger;893154 said:
How do you define "spirit"?

That's a tough one. I don't have nearly enough information to accurately define it but I'll give it a try:

Spirit is activating energy issued from First Source.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Random chance? The universe is a million random chances hitting exactly perfect and all in a precise order.
I am suggesting that it is not random chance, nor is it intelligent design. It is only your own personal judgment that decides that something is exactly perfect or in a precise order.

Super Universe

Defender of God
fantôme profane;893245 said:
I am suggesting that it is not random chance, nor is it intelligent design. It is only your own personal judgment that decides that something is exactly perfect or in a precise order.

Run everything in reverse all the way back to the big bang.

Not quite the same, is it?

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
if a virus is alive (because they can die) and we have made artifical virues from scratch. (no added "natural" bits). Then life is pretty much as simple as mixing chemicals.
Wimmer and his team then mixed the lab-made DNA with an enzyme that converts DNA into RNA. Next, they added the resulting strands to a mixture of chemicals similar to that in the cells that poliovirus typically invades. This brew generated whole polioviruses that subsequent tests in cells and animals confirmed as infectious
ta-da... mixing chemicals and you get life.
(now one can argue if a Virus is truely alive.)

wa:do