• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One question for Creationists, and another for Evolutionists

Super Universe

Defender of God
if a virus is alive (because they can die) and we have made artifical virues from scratch. (no added "natural" bits). Then life is pretty much as simple as mixing chemicals.

ta-da... mixing chemicals and you get life.
(now one can argue if a Virus is truely alive.)

wa:do

An alive virus infects. A dead virus looks the same except it can't infect. The chemicals can be unaltered yet somehow the virus is dead.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
That's a tough one. I don't have nearly enough information to accurately define it but I'll give it a try:

Spirit is activating energy issued from First Source.

If a granite rock is perched on the edge of a cliff, having broken off from the top of a mountain created by plate techtonics, and having fallen half way down before landing on a jutting cliff on the side of the mountain, does that rock have "spirit"?

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
An alive virus infects. A dead virus looks the same except it can't infect. The chemicals can be unaltered yet somehow the virus is dead.
uh huh...
This brew generated whole polioviruses that subsequent tests in cells and animals confirmed as infectious. To distinguish any synthesized viruses from lab contaminants, the investigators introduced subtle changes into the virus' genetic code that didn't alter the proteins it encodes. Unexpectedly, however, the newly created viruses turned out to be much less potent than the typical lab strain. Higher doses of the synthetic poliovirus were needed to kill mice, for example.
*emphasis mine

as you can read, the virus was infectious... it was alive in every way that a virus can be. And it was mixed up in a lab from chemicals laying about the place.
Life from the mixing bowl. :cool:

Super Universe

Defender of God
doppelgänger;893553 said:
If a granite rock is perched on the edge of a cliff, having broken off from the top of a mountain created by plate techtonics, and having fallen half way down before landing on a jutting cliff on the side of the mountain, does that rock have "spirit"?

Are you suggesting that gravity is what gives life it's "motivation"?

Super Universe

Defender of God
uh huh...

*emphasis mine

as you can read, the virus was infectious... it was alive in every way that a virus can be. And it was mixed up in a lab from chemicals laying about the place.
Life from the mixing bowl. :cool:

My post was not referring to your previous post.

Look up the difference between a dead virus and a live one. They appear identical except one doesn't infect and the other does.

What's missing?

powder21

Always Changing
To let you know where I stand, I am a strong believer in God, and that he created all things with a purpose. However, I consider it to be a strong possibility that there is lineal connection between species, in which case evolution would describe the outward appearance of a process being guided by God.

What if evolution isn't "guided" by God but was created by Him. Didn't everything evolve from one little primordial soup? What if God was the one who gave that soup the spark it needed to become life and Genesis is just a simplified explanation for a simpler generation?

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Look up the difference between a dead virus and a live one. They appear identical except one doesn't infect and the other does.

What's missing?
apparently nothing that can't be reproduced in the lab. ;)

If living viruses can be created in the lab, then the 'soul' of the virus can be man made as well. Thus the viral 'soul' doesn't come solely from God.