• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Our Virtual Ashram

Maya3

sitar.jpg

I can play this but we need someone to sing bhajans. :D

That is fantastic!

I can't sing a single tune, but I'm sure someone here is a good singer.

Maya

Maya3

Have to share this, yesterday when I was out running, I ran past a couple who were so in love, they were hugging and kissing and so passionate and looked so happy.
Just as I turned I noticed that the man had a red tilak (is that what you call it? the rather large red that you might get or put on yourself after a temple visit).
It was just so nice to see, it warmed my heart!

Maya

JaiMaaDurga

Namaste all,

Vinayaka, I will certainly not be offended if you decline the kheer I brought for Devi,
I did not know your last meal, when preparing prasad!
All are of course welcome who wish to enjoy.
kheer.jpg

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
smells like the kheer (payasam in the south) I had last night. Does it have a lot of cardamom? (I am addicted to cardamom.)

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
Namaste all,

Vinayaka, I will certainly not be offended if you decline the kheer I brought for Devi,
I did not know your last meal, when preparing prasad!
All are of course welcome who wish to enjoy.
kheer.jpg

MY ALL TIME FAVORITE thank you so much Maa !

Here is some Idli for dinner !

217433idli.jpg

On banana leaf, tamil style !

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Vinayaka, I will certainly not be offended if you decline the kheer I brought for Devi, I did not know your last meal, when preparing prasad! All are of course welcome who wish to enjoy.
Excellent image, very tempting. That reminds me of my adolescence in Bikaner, Rajasthan. We used to go on picnics to the city lakes when it rained (rain in Bikaner is a very occasional thing, desert) and on one such day our teacher ordered 40 kg of milk to prepare 'basundi' for 40 boys of our class (something very similar to what we see in the image with even less rice). But then it rained hard and only 13 students could come. So the teacher ordered the 13 of us to finish it all. We did that with much joy.

In another story, a male nurse was allotted to a desert medical facility near Bikaner, near the place where the India's first nuclear bomb was tested. The person asked for water for a bath but was told that it is not available, instead they could provide as much milk as he wanted. So he asked them to bring milk and had a bath with milk, which he would not do at any other place. My father, who was a government doctor was once transferred to that place, but somehow could get the transfer cancelled.

My wife has prepared kheer today (we had some excess milk). But the Kashmiri (or Muslim) speciality is 'Firni' which is made with grounded rice (finer grain) and a silver foil is placed over it, a must in any marriage. It is always offered in earthern cups.

images
firni.jpg

Last edited:

ratikala

Istha gosthi
:eek:....Im shoked .....

We need some kind of recreational activity here. Some can relax better that way. Place for board games, maybe a games room. Meditation, bhajans, pujas .... well, you can only do so much of that. I'd donate a snooker table but nobody else would play. Maybe a couple of workout things?

recreational activities ...??? can only have so much meditation and bhajans ..???

Snooker table ..!!!....work out things ???

what do you think this is a holiday camp??? ....

you want a work out ..... go scrub the elepant ....

images

or do a turn in the garden ....or the vegetable patch ...

images
120_1977_12-01-29-4-200x300.jpg

more like my idea of recreation ...

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
Hello everyone. StarryNightshade here.

Well, it's been a while since I've posted in this particular DIR. The reason being that I thought I no longer was a Hindu. I thought that what I believed didn't fit into Hindu dharma. Since I didn't identify with any traditional school, was never really one for excess ritual, and I even began to doubt if I even believed in God.

However, after months of searching, I feel the call back into the Sanatana Dharma. In fact, I wonder if I ever even left. :)

So what's different with me?

Firstly, I no longer consider Shiva to be the supreme God. I still hold him (and Ganesha) close to my heart and mind, but I don't necessarily believe them to be their own separate, conscious entities. However, I do believe that Brahman exists and is the foundation of all that we can know & observe. I also believe that the concept of Brahman can be known throughout other religions. Whether it is the Tao from Taoism or the Logos from Christianity. I think I'm a bit of a Universalist. :D

Secondly, while I still have Bhakti in general, I think that Karma Marga is what best describes my practice. Living in the moment, cultivating compassion, and good works help generate mindfulness. I guess that's where the Zen influence comes from.

Thirdly, I'm not Dvaitan, but I don't know if I really identify completely as a Advaitan either. Is there a concept that meets the two in the middle?

Finally, while the Vedas are the foundation of Hinduism, I find that the more I read the Upanishads, the more I understand myself and my perception of reality. I also remain agnostic to the concepts of reincarnation and an afterlife. I also believe in naturalistic cause and effect.

Well, I suppose that's it for now. See you around the DIR. :yes:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
You brought something? It's traditional to bring something. :) That is our Hindu tradition, whether it's a temple, an other Hindu's house, or a virtual ashram.

As for the comments in your post, I'd actually respond if it was in another thread dedicated to that topic. :)

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
You brought something? It's traditional to bring something. :) That is our Hindu tradition, whether it's a temple, an other Hindu's house, or a virtual ashram.

As for the comments in your post, I'd actually respond if it was in another thread dedicated to that topic. :)

Oops, I'm sorry.

Is this okay? An image of Lord Hanuman. To remind us to always keep mindful awareness; whether through keeping God on our minds, or through compassion & devotion. Also, if I'm not mistaken, wasn't today (or a very close previous day) Hanuman Jayanti?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
How can one flavour Idli? Curri patta, black pepper, cloves?

The flavour is in the condiments. Your question is like, "How can one flavour rice?"

I have seen flavoured idlis though, cumin seeds for example. But that's rare.