• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Our Virtual Ashram

Maya3

:D And not what is known as gunpowder (ground red chllies, salt, and some oil)? I love that.No 'varas'. A bad miss.

AH! Thank you, my husband and I always wondered what that was!

StarryNightshade,

That is beautiful!

I´m blissful, I just came back from 4 days at my real life ashram, I feel relaxed and happy. :)

Maya

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Spelling problem. Of course, we have another great variety of 'vada' in my city, Jodhpur, Rajasthan - Mirchi Vada (Stuffed and fried green chillies).

images
images
images

Gun powder (Tamil, I suppose they will surely add tamarind): Well, the recipe is not as simple as I thought. http://indianfood.about.com/od/picklesandpreserves/r/molahapodi.htm

2586232545_6b86a303a0.jpg

Ingredients:
4 tbsps Chana daal (large split yellow lentil), 3 tbsps skinless Urad daal, 3 tbsps sesame seeds, 5 dry red chillies (this is already really hot. Add more for more heat), Salt to taste, 1 tsp sugar, 1 tbsp vegetable/ canola/ sunflower cooking oil

Preparation:
Heat the oil in a deep pan on medium flame. Add the Daals and dry red chillies and roast on a very low flame till they start to turn light brown in color.
Add the sesame seeds and keep roasting till the seeds turn golden. Turn off fire.
Use a coffee grinder or food processor to grind the above roasted ingredients to a coarse powder (not chunky and not flour-like either - in-between).
Remove into a suitable serving bowl and add salt to taste. Add sugar and stir well to mix.
Serve with Idlis (steamed South Indian rice cakes) or Dosas (crispy savory South Indian rice pancakes) and Sambar or simply sprinkle it on plain boiled rice and drizzle with ghee.
You can store this chutney in an air-tight container for at least a week.

Last edited:

Maya3

What does everyone like to do when you are not here, or at a temple or an ashram, or meditating?
We are getting to know each other well, but we only know our "Hindu" selves. What else do you like to do?

I love to write, run, ride my bike especially where it is hilly in the countryside, go to the gym. Eat, read, watch tv, play with our dogs, take care of my fishtank.

Maya

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
What does everyone like to do when you are not here, or at a temple or an ashram, or meditating?
We are getting to know each other well, but we only know our "Hindu" selves. What else do you like to do?

I love to write, run, ride my bike especially where it is hilly in the countryside, go to the gym. Eat, read, watch tv, play with our dogs, take care of my fishtank.

Maya
I like to read books, cook and eat spicy foods, go for walk on lonely places like forests or riversides, play with animals. Sometime I also watch movies, play video games and cards with my friends.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I like to read books, cook and eat spicy foods, go for walk on lonely places like forests or riversides, play with animals. Sometime I also watch movies, play video games and cards with my friends.

You're in the Himalayas, if I remember right? You have some links to forests and streams in your region. I'd like to be able to visualise it. I've always liked lonely places too.

Maya3

What is your genre? (I write too.)

I write historical fiction.
What do you write?

Sumit and Vinayaka, I love to go out alone in the forest too. It´s amazing. Trees are so beautiful. We went to the Redwoods last summer, it was absolutely incredible.

Maya

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I write historical fiction.
What do you write?

Sumit and Vinayaka, I love to go out alone in the forest too. It´s amazing. Trees are so beautiful. We went to the Redwoods last summer, it was absolutely incredible.

Maya

Very little compares to a walk in the forest. Yes, redwoods are amazing. I'd like to see the sequoias too. Only tropical forest I've been to are on Hawaii, in the forest preserves. There is so much prana in a forest.

My writing varies. I go on tangents in moods. I collaborate on religious fiction ... demonstrating various techniques via fiction, have some first person Imaginary Friends stuff, some children's lit, and some non-fiction travelogue. I remember throwing some on here and getting accused of plagiarism. I thought that was funny, since it was unpublished stuff on my computer.

You want to switch 1000 words of something or other? I'd love to read some of your stuff.

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
You're in the Himalayas, if I remember right? You have some links to forests and streams in your region. I'd like to be able to visualise it. I've always liked lonely places too.
I am from Uttarakhand and it's large area is covered with mountains and forests.
Uttarakhand - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

index.php

Sometime I go here in morning. In morning you can see diff types of birds, animals
Kotdwar+1.JPG

dsc00299.jpg

burands.bmp

You can see wild Elephents here and there, most of the time they are friendly. :shrug:
10297651_578265502272157_1003263855234194190_n.jpg

Uttarakhand is also known as Devbhoomi or land of Devas. From our town you can go to Haridwar or Rishikesh in just an hour drive. Also you can go to Badrinath or Kedarnath easily. Apart from this we have so many beautiful temples here.
This is Mabhgarh Mahadev temple, he is our village deity. Every person of our village must visit after marriage even if he lives at diff part of country. This Temple is situated at height of above 1600 meters. And from here you can view high peaks of Himalayas covered with snow.

98_big.jpg

Sapt Badri
Sapta Badri - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Panch Kedar
Panch Kedar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Neelkanth Mahadev
Neelkanth Mahadev Temple - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Adi Badri
Adi_Badri.jpg

Rf do not allow me to post more images in single post so FOr more visit these sites.
Uttarakhand Pilgrimages | religious tour- India temples and Gurudwaras | Uttarakhand Guide
Pilgrim Places in Uttarakhand - Uttaranchal Pilgrimage Destinations

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Thanks, Sumit. I am getting a travel urge. It looks far more pristine than other parts of India.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
The raging streams are much like the ones here in the Rockies. Next week we're going through them.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
What's the nearest airport, and please don't say Delhi. It's not the airport, but the drive I wouldn't look forward to. 4 to 5 hours on the road isn't all that relaxing. It would be nice if Rishikesh had an airport. Varanasi does, and that's how I'd go there if we ever decide to.

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
Can... Can I come there ?

Forever ?

Please ?
you are always welcomed here :yes:

What's the nearest airport, and please don't say Delhi. It's not the airport, but the drive I wouldn't look forward to. 4 to 5 hours on the road isn't all that relaxing. It would be nice if Rishikesh had an airport. Varanasi does, and that's how I'd go there if we ever decide to.
The Dehradun Airport is nearest to Rishikesh, 25km approx.

Maya3

Sumit,
Thanks for sharing these, what an amazing place to be able to go to in the morning!

Vinayaka,
I would love to, but right now I'm in the last stages of editing before I Self Publish. Once I do, I' ll be happy to send it to you.

I would love to read both your children's,literature and the spiritual fiction.

Maya