• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Palastinians now non member observer status

Alceste

Vagabond
I'm perplexed as to why the legal action taken by the Palestinian Authority results in an illegal action by Israel.
Why aren't steps being taken through the UN to compel Israel to remove illegally built settlements?

Because the US has veto power and regularly uses it to prop up Israel whenever the international consensus is that something must be done about the illegal settlements and the occupation in general.

Because the US has veto power and regularly uses it to prop up Israel whenever the international consensus is that something must be done about the illegal settlements and the occupation in general.
And now you Canadians are getting in on the action. Shame on you, and us. :)

Alceste

Vagabond
Are you then quite happy with the "Palestinians" retaking East Jerusalem and making it their capital?

I thought we were past that. Didn't the UN, upon the creation of the state of Israel, allow for a "sister" state of "Palestine" way back in 1948, roundly rejected by Israel's Arab neighbors and the "Palestinians" of that age? Ergo, this "national identity" was already apparent way back when. Apparently the self determination thingy, at the time, didn't work out too well.

So, a center or left wing coalition would take hundreds of rockets being fired into Israel more kindly? Would such a coalition be more accepting of the duplicity of the Palestinian Authority?

You're right, even though the elected representatives terms expired in 2009 it's probably no big deal. What's three years, give or take? Then again, who, in their right mind, would run in opposition to Hamas in Gaza?

Your insistence on viewing rocket attacks from Gaza as aggression signaling genocidal intentions, rather than rebellion / retribution against a brutal and repressive occupation, clouds your judgment on this entire situation.

Alceste

Vagabond
And now you Canadians are getting in on the action. Shame on you, and us. :)

God, I know. Harper is so embarrassing. I don't even want to talk about it. Rest assured that apart from YmirGF and a few rural rednecks, nobody in Canada likes the man or agrees with his vision for the country. His election has more to do with a Centre-left majority split between three major competitors than it does with the feelings of Canadians in general.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Are you then quite happy with the "Palestinians" retaking East Jerusalem and making it their capital?
I do not believe I've said that.

I thought we were past that. /QUOTE]
You are certainly welcome to your thoughts.

So, a center or left wing coalition would take hundreds of rockets being fired into Israel more kindly? Would such a coalition be more accepting of the duplicity of the Palestinian Authority?

So, a center or left wing coalition would take hundreds of rockets being fired into Israel more kindly?
I do not believe I've said that.

Would such a coalition be more accepting of the duplicity of the Palestinian Authority?
I doubt it. Nor would they be more accepting of childishly disingenuous questions.

You're right, ...
Apparently that will not constrain you.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Your insistence on viewing rocket attacks from Gaza as aggression signaling genocidal intentions, rather than rebellion / retribution ...
Your insistence on maintaining that these goals are mutually exclusive reflects a remarkable naivete or a very ugly bias or both.

Alceste

Vagabond
Your insistence on maintaining that these goals are mutually exclusive reflects a remarkable naivete or a very ugly bias or both.

Says the guy who seems to see anti-Semitism as the motive for most non-supportive comments on the subject of Israel.

(Edit: also please note that I didn't even say that.)

seeking4truth

I am very sad that a people who experienced hatred and were forced into ghettos are now doing the same to Palestinians.
I recently visited Israel, Jerusalem and the West Bank and the difference in facilities and the standards of environment are a testimoney to the injustice and repression that fuels the response of the Palestinians. I can't imagine what it must be like in Gaza which is in reality a place under siege.

UTK007

Spiritual Seeker
The U.N. giving the Palestinian Territories the new status of a non-member “observer state” is at best a symbolic gesture, and at worst nothing more than an empty statement. It’s basically a publicity stunt. The politics surrounding Palestine have not changed. The Palestinian Territories does not have a unified government, and it doesn’t even control its own borders.

Furthermore, this vote will not do anything to advance peace talks between the Palestinians and the Israelis.

Alceste

Vagabond
The U.N. giving the Palestinian Territories the new status of a non-member “observer state” is at best a symbolic gesture, and at worst nothing more than an empty statement. It’s basically a publicity stunt. The politics surrounding Palestine have not changed. The Palestinian Territories does not have a unified government, and it doesn’t even control its own borders.

Furthermore, this vote will not do anything to advance peace talks between the Palestinians and the Israelis.

It does potentially open the door for Palestinians to press for an ICC trial for war crimes against them, and make it more difficult for Israel to argue that their disregard for the Geneva conventions is legal.

If it didn't matter, the US and Israel (and now Canada, to my everlasting embarrassment) would not have fought so hard against it.

seeking4truth

It seems that Hamas and Fatah are also trying to work together to prepare for a more unified Palestinian position which, if they can do it, might help make the creation of Palestine more of a reality.

Flankerl

It seems that Hamas and Fatah are also trying to work together to prepare for a more unified Palestinian position which, if they can do it, might help make the creation of Palestine more of a reality.

Oh look its the stuff that happens every few years.

I have to say, I personally do not agree with this decision of the United Nations.

No country had ever recognized "Palestine" as a country.

Also, the Palestinians are guilty of so many terrorist attacks on innocent people.

Does Palestine care about the democracy, freedom, and human rights like in the UN Human Rights Declaration? All I can see is that they want to split Israel into two countries because of their religious belief.

UN should exist to promote peace between countries and not separatists' terror.

All I can see is that they want to split Israel into two countries because of their religious belief.

Despite your support for Israel, you claim that you support Tibetan Independence, despite the fact that you claim Chinese nationality.

How do you explain that?

Despite your support for Israel, you claim that you support Tibetan Independence, despite the fact that you claim Chinese nationality.

How do you explain that?

Just because I am a Chinese does not mean I supported my country without thinking the consequence. Especially if they were wrong. Occupation and brutalization of peaceful Tibetan race for the last 50 years is clearly one great crime against humanity.

You obviously did not know the truth about what happened, that "Free Tibet" is not a separatism, it is a liberation. Because China invaded somewhere that was not their land, yet Tibetans used non-violent methods & never even raised a finger to hurt those who occupied their land despite the fact that 1.2 million people was killed by the Army.

China invaded and treated Tibet like it's colony, like white people in South Africa. Not liberalising, just torture and abuse in form of majority discriminated minority!

Now we compare to the Jewish vs. Arabic conflict. Israel originally was Jewish people's country but they let Arabic people live there. But did Arab people appreciate it? They just committed terror against Jewish people. A complete different situation from peaceful Tibetans who lost their country.

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I have to say, I personally do not agree with this decision of the United Nations.

No country had ever recognized "Palestine" as a country.

The claims about how traditional and natural the recognition of a Palestine people and a Palestine territory is are unfortunately very conflicting and passionate, so I have no idea of how true or how significant that statement ultimately is.

However, countries are such artificial constructs (at least here in South America) that I fail to see how it could possibly be an important fact, regardless of how true it may or may not be.

There is a sizeable Palestinian population in and just outside Israel. It has been so for at least a few decades now. Most of them are unarmed civilians, victims as opposed to terrorists. And in all that time they have been torn by armed conflict that they can't flee.

Those are the facts, and it seems to me that they are plenty reason enough to justify the creation of a Palestinian territory and representation. We have certainly recognized countries with far less of a reason to exist.

Also, the Palestinians are guilty of so many terrorist attacks on innocent people.

Please do not say that so casually. There are certainly dangerous Palestinian terrorists, but how representative are they of the people as a whole? And what are the causes of terrorism anyway?

One might as well judge the American or Israeli people out of the destructiveness of their interventions in Vietnam, Iraq or Palestine itself.

Does Palestine care about the democracy, freedom, and human rights like in the UN Human Rights Declaration?

Like all countries, Palestine is a fiction, albeit a somewhat useful one. Not many people in any country are deeply involved with those concepts.

In any case, the United Nations are meant to be mainly a keeper and nurturer of those goals. Membership in it is a means to those ends, not a prize for virtue. If it turns out that Palestinians are particularly in need of them, then all the more reason to keep them involved.

All I can see is that they want to split Israel into two countries because of their religious belief.

The conflict and the dire realities in Israel, the West Bank and the Gaza Strip are very much an established reality. It is not like are proposing to create them.

Do you think the acknowledgement of Palestinian people's right to observe UN activities serves the second goal but not the first? How so?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Like all countries, Palestine is a fiction, albeit a somewhat useful one. Not many people in any country are deeply involved with those concepts.

Palestine is a 'fiction'? Since when? Are Palestinians a fiction? Who are they if they lived in a fictional place and called themselves Palestinians?

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Palestine is a 'fiction'? Since when? Are Palestinians a fiction? Who are they if they lived in a fictional place and called themselves Palestinians?
They have not been calling themselves Palestinians for a long time, it is a recent development. My grandmother was Jewish, but was called Palestinian as well. Both Jews and Arabs were listed as Palestinians before the term was harnessed for Palestinian Muslim nationalism.

LuisDantas said:
Today nations around Israel crumble and are torn with sectarian violence, how useful is it to define a new Palestinian nation when the Palestinians are divided to two areas with opposing governments who's members shot each other in the streets a few short years ago?