• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Part of being Privileged is not having to think about being Privileged

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You would not know, from some portions of this thread, that racism in America has changed millions of lives for the worse, and even ruined some of those lives, and even helped unfairly end some of them ----- but at the same time, you would not be able to miss in those same portions of this thread how important it is that people are calling each other names.
If I didn't know better, I'd get the impression that you want silence
regarding smaller evils, because greater ones have existed.

Alceste

Vagabond

By all means, bring up and obsess about the word "cracker" in every discussion of white privilege. Bring it up loud and proud. It's better that such nonsense is visible.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
You would not know, from some portions of this thread, that racism in America has changed millions of lives for the worse, and even ruined some of those lives, and even helped unfairly end some of them ----- but at the same time, you would not be able to miss in those same portions of this thread how important it is that people are calling each other names.

Namaste,

Wise words, indeed. Wise words, indeed. Let us stay classy, dear members.

M.V.

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
Latino aint different from white.
Hold the phone... While European ancestry is part of what makes up Latinos, it is faaaaaar from the only thing. There is also African and indigenous ancestry thrown into the mix, and in some places a distinct hint of Asian. If you look at the ancestors I'm directly descended from, you see every shade of color from pale white to the blackest of black. On my grandfather's side of the family, my great grandfather was black as they come, and my great grandmother is mostly indigenous Taino, with a little bit of Spanish and Chinese ancestry. Both families had been in Puerto Rico for generations before my grandfather was born. My grandmother is half Basque from northern Spain (which includes traceable Moroccan ancestry from the Moorish conquest of the Iberian peninsula) on her father's side, and half Cherokee Indian from her mother's side. My mother is a mix of all these ethnic groups, yet still identifies as Latina. My father was a descendant of Italian immigrants to the Dominican Republic from Napoli, and indigenous Tainos. He also identified as Latino. Latinos are just so racially mixed that we have to be classified as a separate group entirely. We are definitely different from white people.

Last edited:

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
I don't see them as being remotely equivalent because of the topic of this thread, which focuses on those who belong to a privileged class. However, I can't see how calling a white person a cracker is historically used in the same manner as calling a black person the n-word.
A perfect example of how different these words really are. People have no problem throwing the word "cracker" around, but whenever referring to the word "******" they always say "the n-word". I won't be surprised if ****** comes out as all stars when I post this, either, but honky doesn't.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Very astute. Slavery, whatever. Calling white people crackers, HO BOY, now that's a problem!

To be fair, it is derogatory, though I find it minor in comparison to bigger problems of cultural and institutional racism and discrimination.

Probably on the same lines as somebody calling me a whore, and calling a male a "man-whore." Both are derogatory, but one calls my sexual history as a woman into question if I'm put on trial, looking for a job, or being considered for child custody or adoption.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
That's what everyone here is saying, but they're reluctant to elaborate as to why.

I've already said why, even though I didn't go into great detail. It's because of what's behind the terms. "Honky" and "cracker" have no real power, so they're not really offensive. The N word is a carry-over from days when black people were heavily discriminated against or enslaved. There is also still discrimination against black people, albeit not as bad as it used to be. So, ignoring the context and treating them as exactly the same is inaccurate.

Well, under abuse and duress it's understandable, especially when directed specifically at those oppressing them. By the same logic, would you consider American POWS during the Vietnam conflict or the WWII Pacific theater referring to their captors as "gooks" to be that bad? Or maybe that Paula Dean incident, where she called the man who held her a gunpoint a racial slur (which years later surfaced and ruined her career)?

I thought we were talking about "cracker" and "honky". My point was that it's a lot more understandable to hear that kind of thing from a group that is being or has been discriminated against. It doesn't always make it right, but it does make it different.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
They're both racial slurs. What more do you need? Is disparaging others based on the color of their skin acceptable or is it not? I don't understand what you're struggling with here.

You brought up "honky" and "cracker" as examples of a double standard. That would only be true if they were the equivalent of the N word. If there is a difference between the terms, then treating them differently would not be a double standard. Since there is a difference between them, it's not a double standard.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Well, yes. It's considered vulgar and is subject to the language filter at RF.

I agree with that call.One is absolutely conjures up images of sheer hatred and I consider it vulger. Because of its "roots" the other is derogatory but less offensive.

The N word Is hate speech IMHO..

Poon hound???Not so much! :p

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

No need to trouble your head over it. Your preferences win out almost every time. Us folks on RF cannot resist passing up discussing greater evils in order to discuss smaller ones. Thread after thread shows it.

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
You brought up "honky" and "cracker" as examples of a double standard. That would only be true if they were the equivalent of the N word. If there is a difference between the terms, then treating them differently would not be a double standard. Since there is a difference between them, it's not a double standard.

I agree with this statement. One double standard I would agree with in that video, however, is the one about people saying majority white areas need more diversity, but not really saying the same for majority black (or any other ethnic group) areas. For example, it's very rare that you hear someone say Detroit is not a very diverse city, even though the population of Detroit is over 80% African-American.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I agree with this statement. One double standard I would agree with in that video, however, is the one about people saying majority white areas need more diversity, but not really saying the same for majority black (or any other ethnic group) areas. For example, it's very rare that you hear someone say Detroit is not a very diverse city, even though the population of Detroit is over 80% African-American.

Ask people around here about moving into East St. Louis, a population that is 98% black, and most people will want to run the other direction as fast as possible. The city is associated with crime, gangs, poverty, violence and murder. I am curious as to how much the association is the same with Detroit.

So, dunno. :shrug:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Ask people around here about moving into East St. Louis, a population that is 98% black, and most people will want to run the other direction as fast as possible. The city is associated with crime, gangs, poverty, violence and murder. I am curious as to how much the association is the same with Detroit.

Even my Black friends, if I know anything at all about them, would not want to move to East Saint Louis. And that's because I have smart friends. :D

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus

I can understand why crime would keep people away from the area, but my point was that nobody complains the city isn't diverse enough. If a white person asked why there aren't more white people in Detroit, and a black person asked why there aren't more black people in Portland, Maine, people would be quicker to call the white person a racist.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I can understand why crime would keep people away from the area, but my point was that nobody complains the city isn't diverse enough. If a white person asked why there aren't more white people in Detroit, and a black person asked why there aren't more black people in Portland, Maine, people would be quicker to call the white person a racist.

Perhaps. But I think worrying about diversity is the least of the city's problems. Usually people around here aren't curious about how East St Louis can be more diverse. Rather, people are more concerned about essentially putting that city on quarantine and keeping criminal elements from spreading out into their cities.

I have on occasion wondered aloud why the strip clubs were mostly populated by white patrons and white dancers in a city that is so populated by blacks. But it isn't so simple as black and white color lines, but a city's desperate attempt to generate any kind of revenue, so will offer spaces and real estate for businesses offering vice (strip clubs and cheap liquor stores) that normally wouldn't survive in more affluent populations.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Even my Black friends, if I know anything at all about them, would not want to move to East Saint Louis. And that's because I have smart friends. :D

A couple friends of mine and I are considering doing "guerilla gardening" there at some point, and/or starting a program similar to Will Allen's in Milwaukee.

I just have to add another 24 hours to every day, and I'm set. :D

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
Perhaps. But I think worrying about diversity is the least of the city's problems. Usually people around here aren't curious about how East St Louis can be more diverse. Rather, people are more concerned about essentially putting that city on quarantine and keeping criminal elements from spreading out into their cities.

I have on occasion wondered aloud why the strip clubs were mostly populated by white patrons and white dancers in a city that is so populated by blacks. But it isn't so simple as black and white color lines, but a city's desperate attempt to generate any kind of revenue, so will offer spaces and real estate for businesses offering vice (strip clubs and cheap liquor stores) that normally wouldn't survive in more affluent populations.
Won't find any disagreement here.