• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Part of being Privileged is not having to think about being Privileged

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Yes. I'm more offended when someone says the actual words "the N word" than when they say "******".

1) That's weird.

2) That's not really relevant to whether you dislike Klan members more than "PC liberals".

Their fear of actually saying the word "******" is more detrimental to race relations than the word itself will ever be.

How did you come to that conclusion?

Alceste

Vagabond

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
That's messed up. The middle one had nothing to do with Martin as far as l could see (misleading title), but the other two... Messed up.

Didn't seem like they called anybody a honky or a cracker though. Just saying.

Do they have to say honky or cracker to make it a hate crime?

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
1) That's weird.

2) That's not really relevant to whether you dislike Klan members more than "PC liberals".
Of course it's relevant. The PC liberals are the ones giving the Klan all the power they have because of their pussyfooting around race issues. If nobody was afraid of Hitler, he wouldn't have conquered Europe.

How did you come to that conclusion?
Fear of anything only serves to give it more power.

Alceste

Vagabond
Do they have to say honky or cracker to make it a hate crime?

Of course not, but my original comment was that if someone called me a cracker l wouldn't be worried about the possibility of violence. If someone comes at me saying "this is for Trayvon", now I might be worried.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Of course it's relevant. The PC liberals are the ones giving the Klan all the power they have because of their pussyfooting around race issues.

So, it's not the long history of racism and discrimination against black people? It's actually the people trying to be considerate of others' feelings that are causing the problem? I'm sorry, I'm still trying to figure out the logic here.

If nobody was afraid of Hitler, he wouldn't have conquered Europe.

Huh?

Fear of anything only serves to give it more power.

That may well be, but it still doesn't explain why you think people trying to be considerate of others' feelings is the main cause of race problems in this country.

Alceste

Vagabond
So, it's not the long history of racism and discrimination against black people? It's actually the people trying to be considerate of others' feelings that are causing the problem? I'm sorry, I'm still trying to figure out the logic here.

Huh?

That may well be, but it still doesn't explain why you think people trying to be considerate of others' feelings is the main cause of race problems in this country.
I believe he's assuming we're actually thinking racist thoughts, but pretending not to by skirting around the most offensive, racist language.

If that were true, his position might be logical, but I don't think it's true at all. I think most liberals basically aren't racists. It's a mentality more associated with conservatism.

Last edited:

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I believe he's assuming we're actually thinking racist thoughts, but pretending not to by skirting around the most offensive, racist language.

If that were trite, his position might be logical, but I don't think it's true at all. I think most liberals basically aren't racists. It's a mentality more associated with conservatism.

Even if that was the case - although you're right that it's not - I still don't see his conclusion being true.

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus

Not causing the problem; just perpetuating it. Not saying the word out loud when that's exactly what you're talking about allows the word to keep its sting. Saying "he called such and such 'the N word'" rather than "he called such and such a ******" makes the word ****** that much more unbearable to hear when a racist actually says it.

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus

If that were true, his position might be logical, but I don't think it's true at all. I think most liberals basically aren't racists. It's a mentality more associated with conservatism.

You'd be surprised.

Mercy Not Sacrifice

Not causing the problem; just perpetuating it. Not saying the word out loud when that's exactly what you're talking about allows the word to keep its sting. Saying "he called such and such 'the N word'" rather than "he called such and such a ******" makes the word ****** that much more unbearable to hear when a racist actually says it.

Devil's advocate question: If we assume that a racial slur can cause emotional harm to people that hear it or even hear of it, would not the euphemising of that word to at least a form that isn't explicit cause less harm when referenced (i.e., "He said the N-word")? Or should "he said a racial slur" be as close as we are allowed to go?

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
Devil's advocate question: If we assume that a racial slur can cause emotional harm to people that hear it or even hear of it, would not the euphemising of that word to at least a form that isn't explicit cause less harm when referenced (i.e., "He said the N-word")? Or should "he said a racial slur" be as close as we are allowed to go?

Even saying "he used a racial slur" gets to me. Why do people feel the need to tiptoe around saying things in the interest of their imagined piety? If someone told me to go **** myself, I wouldn't say "he made an awful profane statement that hurt my feelings" I would say "he told me to go **** myself". If that became common practice, people would become desensitized to the ridiculous stigma attached to such statements, and the words will mean nothing, as they should. I find it extremely pathetic that people are so thin-skinned that a word can be used as a weapon against somebody. Sticks and stones...

Mercy Not Sacrifice

Even saying "he used a racial slur" gets to me. Why do people feel the need to tiptoe around saying things in the interest of their imagined piety? If someone told me to go **** myself, I wouldn't say "he made an awful profane statement that hurt my feelings" I would say "he told me to go **** myself". If that became common practice, people would become desensitized to the ridiculous stigma attached to such statements, and the words will mean nothing, as they should. I find it extremely pathetic that people are so thin-skinned that a word can be used as a weapon against somebody. Sticks and stones...

Your concern seems to be the lack of honesty. I get that. For that very reason, I actually have marginally more respect for prejudiced people who are honest about their prejudice than for those who try to deny it. (I'm currently in the middle of a debate where we are dealing with the latter.)

But I'm afraid we are going to have to disagree on the whole "sticks and stones" thing. Words can hurt. Words can sting. When one says something racist, sexist, homophobic, religiously discriminatory, etc., that maintains the power that the privileged group has over the subordinate group. That's the thing--racism is a misdeed against a group of people, not an individual.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation

So, the racist saying the actual word is a very bad thing, and the liberal saying a different form of it only makes it a worse thing. To me that still means the racist is the big problem. I'll give you an example of my thinking on this:

The WBC. In my opinion, the best response to them is to stop talking about them and stop reacting to them when they show up. They want people to react to them. It's like a little kid throwing a temper tantrum. However, between the people who feed into it by reacting to them and the WBC itself, I still dislike the WBC much, much, much more. They're still the ones actually committing the act I don't like.

For the same reason I still have a much bigger problem with the hatred and bigotry displayed by a Klan member than I do with the "PC liberal" who might be making it worse by trying to be considerate.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation

It's easy to say when you're not the victim of bigotry and discrimination constantly. It's also easier for some people than others. It's not being thin-skinned to be offended by someone using the N word (obviously depending on the situation). As for your example of "go **** yourself", that's about polite society; it's about recognizing that some people don't like certain language and so it's best to censor yourself in mixed company. Same goes for using things like racial slurs.