• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Part of being Privileged is not having to think about being Privileged

Alceste

Vagabond
मैत्रावरुणिः;3437909 said:
Namaste,

Alceste, what is your view on this new "Anti-Racist is Anti-White" thing? The Whitaker-ists, I mean...?

M.V.

Never heard of it, but it sounds silly.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
मैत्रावरुणिः;3437909 said:
Namaste,

Alceste, what is your view on this new "Anti-Racist is Anti-White" thing? The Whitaker-ists, I mean...?

M.V.

I had to do a double take on that anti-racist is anti-white crap. The meaning of some words is so stupid it just refuses to register at first.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
I had to do a double take on that anti-racist is anti-white crap. The meaning of some words is so stupid it just refuses to register at first.

Namaste,

I heard a similar argument, that it used circular logic and didn't quite make sense over all. Your opinion, Sunstone-ji?

M.V.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
मैत्रावरुणिः;3437945 said:
Namaste,

I heard a similar argument, that it used circular logic and didn't quite make sense over all. Your opinion, Sunstone-ji?

M.V.

I don't know. I can kind of imagine some Deep South high school drop out watching that video, looking at the pretty girls in it, and thinking to himself that he might be considered good enough for a date by them if he can just make himself figure out enough of what they're saying so that he can parrot it back to them as if their words are his own thoughts too. In other words, whoever made the video is playing its intended audience for fools who are too stupid to know (or perhaps merely too stupid to care) that the lure of sex is being used to sell them on a sanitized and unrealistic view of racism.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
I don't know. I can kind of imagine some Deep South high school drop out watching that video, looking at the pretty girls in it, and thinking to himself that he might be considered good enough for a date by them if he can just make himself figure out enough of what they're saying so that he can parrot it back to them as if their words are his own thoughts too. In other words, whoever made the video is playing its intended audience for fools who are too stupid to know (or perhaps merely too stupid to care) that the lure of sex is being used to sell them on a sanitized and unrealistic view of racism.

Namaste,

I don't know either. I haven't thought too much about it overall. But, this thing about luring them in with sex makes sense. For the video, I mean.

M.V.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member

I agree with your take on this video, but they do raise a valid point that there is a double standard in play.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I agree with your take on this video, but they do raise a valid point that there is a double standard in play.

Yes, I think it's true there's a double standard. I'm not sure it's nearly as worth whining about as they seem to think so. It doesn't much bother me that almost no one talks, say, of integrating Black neighborhoods while some folks talk a lot about integrating White neighborhoods. I've got much better things to do than be offended by that.

I think a person can see right through that video and it's juvenile "outrage" over violations of white privilege. Watching those women, you can almost hear them stamping their little feet like angry children whenever they mention yet another essentially unimportant way there's a double standard in this country. But then I'm old enough to know the video will sell a number of folks on the notion they are so horribly put upon simply because they are White that they just can't take it anymore.

So maybe, Rick, the video somewhere made a point or two about the double standard that is both true and genuinely important, but if it did, I must have missed it.

Wherenextcolumbus

Its more or less why I think "african american" or "african ecuadorian" is such an idiotically stupid term.

AFAIK, We all come from friggin africa. If you wanna say black, say black.

Yeah but we came out of Africa before we were even Homo sapiens, so there is nothing wrong with "African American" for actual "African Americans"

Last edited by a moderator:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
It's funny how darker skinned people are thought of as mutts when they're the progeny of a variety of ethnicities. I'm Russian, English and Irish. You'd think that would make me a mutt as well, but I get to just be "white".

You are aware that race and nationality are two different things, right?

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Race doesn't matter only class, that's why it is news if more non-white kids are born then white kids in a year.
Being born outside the privilege of being "upper class" is not a death sentance. People can still rise above their upbringing by getting a good education or applying a skillset.

Barack Obama is a great example of this.

Wherenextcolumbus

Being born outside the privilege of being "upper class" is not a death sentance. People can still rise above their upbringing by getting a good education or applying a skillset.

Barack Obama is a great example of this.

I never said it was.
Being a woman isn't a death sentence either but that's not the point is it?

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I never said it was.
Being a woman isn't a death sentence either but that's not the point is it?

What is the point? Just because your born into a rich white family does not guarantee success, but it does help.

Being born a seven foot tall black man don't hurt either.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
It solidifies the idea that the deck is stacked against a given community and though I am sure there are instances, here and there, I highly doubt it is a systemic problem.

Aw, isn't that cute? The white guy fools himself into doubting there is a systemic advantage to being a white guy.

The funny part to me is how some white people try to dismiss the fact of privilege because of the reasons they think people are bringing it up. It would be like doubting global warming because you think it's just an excuse to enact certain policies. The saddest part about that, too, is that it's only a perceived idea that people bring up privilege because of "white guilt" or because they don't think personal responsibility is important. Nobody insinuated either of those things in this thread, and they're not implied in most of the discussions of this topic I've ever seen.