• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Patriarchy"

Me Myself

Back to my username
Nope, he's pretty much spot on to your arguments.

Care to try again about your issues with the word "patriarchy"?

You make it englobe things that have nothing to do with it. It is in the OP.

Patriarchy is a reasonable ter to describe women not being able to grab a sition of leader, but it is not reasonable to pretend all or evemost gender roles are so because patriarchy.

Te other way around maybe so though. One coulud say that unjust gender roling lead to patriarchy, but you've said mutliple times that patriarchy is the cause of gender roles.

Again, iTHs is in the OP.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
You make it englobe things that have nothing to do with it. It is in the OP.

Patriarchy is a reasonable ter to describe women not being able to grab a sition of leader, but it is not reasonable to pretend all or evemost gender roles are so because patriarchy.

Te other way around maybe so though. One coulud say that unjust gender roling lead to patriarchy, but you've said mutliple times that patriarchy is the cause of gender roles.

Again, iTHs is in the OP.

Let's look at it again then, shall we?

If feminism is fighting gender roles, then why did they choose to call "patriarchy" to all the unequal privileges and opressions of men and women that currently exist in diferent levels of intensity around the world?

It is gender inequality that favors and disfavors men and women depending on the context. Why then charge it with a male quality?

I can undersand the movement being called feminism to a point, and given its origins, because it fights injustices to women because of unequality. The problem is he second it choose to call this indquality "pariachism" it did itself a diservice by atracking the equality they say to profess.

I have read and understand the reasons they call it patriarchy, but do y honestly think such a term doesnt unwittingly perpetuate the image of the abusive man? To equate the abusive system to a male persona and the solution to a female persona? T equate equality to female and unequality to male? I know they dont do it in their definitions, but the associations speak miles and miles, and we do know it has bite them in the behind by now because a lot of people associate feminism to radical feminism.

I is because of the name. Names have power, words have power.

You've nailed your foot to the floor and wondering why you're not going anywhere in spite of stepping all over the place. You're spending all of your energy stuck spinning around yourself in your arguments.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Let's look at it again then, shall we?

You've nailed your foot to the floor and wondering why you're not going anywhere in spite of stepping all over the place. You're spending all of your energy stuck spinning around yourself in your arguments.

You have any question about e part in bold? It is consistent with what I am saying.

Calling ALL gender inequality, including that which disfavors men as "patriarchy" is misleading, and it attributes all inequality with a male attribute. Then saying ALL equality is reached by feminism, gives equality with a primarily femenine attribute.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
You have any question about e part in bold? It is consistent with what I am saying.

Calling ALL gender inequality, including that which disfavors men as "patriarchy" is misleading, and it attributes all inequality with a male attribute. Then saying ALL equality is reached by feminism, gives equality with a primarily femenine attribute.

Which is what dust1n was summarizing about the tone of the thread by saying...

Because 'feminism' only has good girly dictations and 'patriarchy' has bad manly dictations, feminists ignore equal rights for men.

This is all I gather after 170 something posts.

To which you told him...

And it shows you were not reading.

:biglaugh: I find this hilarious.

dust1n

Zindīq

"Calling ALL gender inequality "patriarchy" is misleading, and it attributes all in equality with a male attribute."

Who has ever called this?

"Saying ALL equality is reached by feminism, gives equality with a primarily feminine attribute."

Who has ever said this?

Me Myself

Back to my username
"Calling ALL gender inequality "patriarchy" is misleading, and it attributes all in equality with a male attribute."

Who has ever called this?

"Saying ALL equality is reached by feminism, gives equality with a primarily feminine attribute."

Who has ever said this?

Both Mystic and Alceste say that women being given privileges because they are seen as frail is a result of patriarchy. I could search the quotes, they have been plenty... I guess I will do if they refute having said so.

Mystic said that by feminism trying to eliminate gender roles, it eliminate thus circumstances in which there is female privilege, because this was the result of patriarchy too.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Mystic said that by feminism trying to eliminate gender roles, it eliminate thus circumstances in which there is female privilege, because this was the result of patriarchy too.
I'd agree with her on this.
But I'll note that feminists appear to be more focused on their own benefit than
that of their hairier kin. But that's to be expected with the name "feminism", eh?

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Both Mystic and Alceste say that women being given privileges because they are seen as frail is a result of patriarchy. I could search the quotes, they have been plenty... I guess I will do if they refute having said so.

You're right. And this doesn't mean that patriarchy connotes men are bad nor feminism connotes women are good. But that's what you've been complaining about with boys and men not getting enough attention.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
But I'll note that feminists appear to be more focused on their own benefit than
that of their hairier kin. But that's to be expected with the name "feminism", eh?

Replace "benefit" with "rights" or "protections", and I'm cool with that.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

I think the root of the disconnect here is a misunderstanding of the term "patriarchy". All it means is that women are excluded from power, not that all men are granted power.

Consider another term: oligarchy... i.e. rule by a small group. Would it be right to say "but I'm in a small group and my small group doesn't have political power, therefore we're not in an oligarchy (despite the fact that we're ruled by a small group of people)?"

Me Myself

Back to my username
I think the root of the disconnect here is a misunderstanding of the term "patriarchy". All it means is that women are excluded from power, not that all men are granted power.

Consider another term: oligarchy... i.e. rule by a small group. Would it be right to say "but I'm in a small group and my small group doesn't have political power, therefore we're not in an oligarchy (despite the fact that we're ruled by a small group of people)?"

I know and I AGREE with you. Females are excluded from a stance of leadership. this is ALL that patriarchy m peans.

Patriarchy doesnt have antyhing to do with the cases of female privilege.

dust1n

Zindīq

Okay, so where did anyone say that all inequality was the result of patriarchy or that all equality is reached by feminism... this is what I asked. Those aren't illustrations of what I've just asked for.

Me Myself

Back to my username

I am all for eliminating injustices towards both genders.

What my point is in this thread is that patriarchy is an inaccurate term for the cases of female privilege.

The fact that women didnt go to war but all men were forced to be drafted was in unfair injustice that happened because of gender roles yes, but not because of "patriarchy" patriarchy had nothing to do with that.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Okay, so where did anyone say that all inequality was the result of patriarchy or that all equality is reached by feminism... this is what I asked. Those aren't illustrations of what I've just asked for.

I am a bit confused. Which gender inequalities do you think they think dont come from patriarchy?

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I know and I AGREE with you. Females are excluded from a stance of leadership. this is ALL that patriarchy m peans.

Patriarchy doesnt have antyhing to do with the cases of female privilege.

When it is female privilege at the hands of exclusive women in positions in political power in the majority of households, government, military, law enforcement, religion, and any other major influential provincial area in our world, then patriarchy has nothing to do with it.

Problem is, MM, patriarchy DOES exist. The vast majority of societies around the world live under certain degrees of patriarchy. Where you are mistaken is that you believe that if female privilege exists, that patriarchy CAN'T POSSIBLY be the reason why.