• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Patriarchy"

Me Myself

Back to my username
It's not a privilege because I LIKE carrying things and I ENJOY difficult physical work. But I haven't got a penis, so not only am I offered help doing simple things I'm totally capable of and enjoy, I'm not ALLOWED to do it for money.

Lots of women like outdoor physical work, and lots of women certainly would prefer the income that comes from trades or operating heavy equipment to the pay they would earn in more delicate jobs.

Being perceived as weak and helpless is NOT a privilege, even if it means sometimes a guy will hold a door open for you or carry your shopping.

Yu are just obviously not reading :shrug:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Is someone honestly arguing that having the door held open for them is an example of female privilege?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Alceste, if you'd like I can offer you the wall I'm currently banging my head against to ease the pain if you're interested.
Was that you? I thought I heard extra "Bonk!" sounds while I
hitting my head against a door. I do feel better now though.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Was that you? I thought I heard extra "Bonk!" sounds while I
hitting my head against a door. I do feel better now though.

That's good. It helps every now and then, doesn't it? ;)

I was thinking we all could bonk out the rhythm to "Wipeout" at a certain point in this thread.

Alceste

Vagabond
. Bth genders hae promoted and promote gender inequality on cases that both favor and disfavor their gender.

Finally, you seem to have grasped exactly what I have been writing all along, in very plain language.

Now you need only grasp the concept that, in general, the balance of these privileges is much more beneficial to men than to women. So where the most injustice you've experienced in our society is that you once missed lunch at school because the girls got to eat first, girls in Afghanistan get shot in the head or have acid thrown in their faces just for going to school.

If you get that far, you will finally have a functional definition of patriarchy, so you can begun to understand what feminists are criticizing.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Finally, you seem to have grasped exactly what I have been writing all along, in very plain language.

Now you need only grasp the concept that, in general, the balance of these privileges is much more beneficial to men than to women. So where you once missed lunch at school because the girls got to eat first, girls in Afghanistan get shot on the head or have acid thrown in their faces just for going to school.

If you get that far, you will finally have a functional definition of patriarchy, so you can begun to understand what feminists are criticizing.

:facepalm: If I could summon the strength I would eqrch hunt all e posts where I have said that trying to explain it to you so you can see you have not been reading me.

MaybemI ll do that later, I am just too tired right now

Unbelievable :facepalm:

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Is someone honestly arguing that having the door held open for them is an example of female privilege?

One thing that I find telling is how many news reports seem to feel the need to make a distinction and mention "women and children" as one group separate from male casualties when talking about casualties resulting from an accident, terrorist attack, etc., even though all of the victims from both genders are civilians. I think that's another result of the notion that women are expected to be "weak and helpless" by default, hence grouping them together with children.

Alceste

Vagabond
Yu are just obviously not reading :shrug:

Says the guy who keeps claiming my post pointing out that men behave in ways consistent with patriarchal values when they say "ladies first" rather than responding to the actual needs or aspirations of women is "blaming men".

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
One thing that I find telling is how many news reports seem to feel the need to make a distinction and mention "women and children" as one group separate from male casualties when talking about casualties resulting from an accident, terrorist attack, etc., even though all of the victims from both genders are civilians. I think that's another result of the notion that women are expected to be "weak and helpless" by default, hence grouping them together with children.
There is one inequity which I'd "blame" on patriarchy.
(I prefer iniquity to inequity, btw.)

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member

Step away from the ignorance, Phil. It's a warning from friend to friend here....beware of getting sucked into the argument of the list of "smoking gun" fallacies.

"Look! She got to go first in line! That's so unfair, and please feel sorry for me and other boys who have to go through this pain and suffering! Why aren't you doing enough for US and doing so much for girls getting shot in the head by the Taliban?"

And thus, the argument for female privilege was born. :curtsy:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Step away from the ignorance, Phil. It's a warning from friend to friend here....beware of getting sucked into the argument of the list of "smoking gun" fallacies.
"Look! She got to go first in line! That's so unfair, and please feel sorry for me and other boys who have to go through this pain and suffering! Why aren't you doing enough for US and doing so much for girls getting shot in the head by the Taliban?"
Mock all you want, girlie, but you ain't the one who dang near had to flee to Canuckistan in order to avoid being sent overseas to kill commies.
Not that I'm opposed to killing...hell, I'd probably enjoy it more than is seemly....but those godless commies never did anything to hurt me.
Criminy...no wonder I hate America! Ahhh....I feel better now. But that experience still grinds my gears. And, yes, I know you'd be on my
side in this matter.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Mock all you want, girlie, but you ain't the one who dang near had to flee to Canuckistan in order to avoid being sent overseas to kill commies. Not that I'm opposed to killing...hell, I'd probably enjoy it more than is seemly....but those godless commies never did anything to hurt me. Criminy...no wonder I hate America!

Rev, we could probably compare battle scars all day long when it comes to being screwed over by the system in place. And I'm absolutely sure we're not the only ones who sport some deep scars, either.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

Jeebers! This is one bizarre thread.