• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Patriotism? What do you think?

Jesuslightoftheworld

The world has nothing to offer us!
You play a game for money. You want to take a knee when the National Anthem is being played...you can go live somewhere else.

I’ve heard one of the reasons is that one of the versus of the original “Star Spangled Banner” refers to slaves. Is that the only reason? How do you feet?

exchemist

Veteran Member
You play a game for money. You want to take a knee when the National Anthem is being played...you can go live somewhere else.

I’ve heard one of the reasons is that one of the versus of the original “Star Spangled Banner” refers to slaves. Is that the only reason? How do you feet?
Patriotism? I'm with Samuel Johnson: the last refuge of a scoundrel.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member

I disagree. Many have fought and died for such a person's freedoms and rights to express their views. They are not bringing harm to anyone in taking a knee, so why do you disagree with their right to do so?

They have as much right to take a knee as I have to speak publicly expressing my by views that such behavior is disrespectful and childish.

To which verse are you referring?

Jesuslightoftheworld

The world has nothing to offer us!
I disagree. Many have fought and died for such a person's freedoms and rights to express their views. They are not bringing harm to anyone in taking a knee, so why do you disagree with their right to do so?

They have as much right to take a knee as I have to speak publicly expressing my by views that such behavior is disrespectful and childish.

Good point.

Third verse:

“No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave, And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.”

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

So you dont agree with the first amendment?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Players can kneel (or not).
Teams can fire (or not).
Fans can approve (or not).
It's between them to sort it all out.
Let government shut it's trap about it.

BSM1

What? Me worry?

Yes, you have a right to express yourself in any manner that doesn't harm others. But how happy do you think your boss would be if you took time at your job to express your hate of capitalism, for example...

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes, you have a right to express yourself in any manner that doesn't harm others. But how happy do you think your boss would be if you took time at your job to express your hate of capitalism, for example...
Let's make the analogy more fun.....
You're an actor on Broadway. (You have a fine voice, btw.)
Just before the play starts, while the orchestra is warming
up, you walk on stage with a WHITE POWER sign to
express dissing of white folk in the media.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Let's make the analogy more fun.....
You're an actor on Broadway. (You have a fine voice, btw.)
Just before the play starts, while the orchestra is warming
up, you walk on stage with a WHITE POWER sign to
express dissing of white folk in the media.

Excellent analogy. I'n surprised I didn't think of it...

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

The original reason for taking the knee during the National Anthem was to call attention to the number of people of color who were being shot under suspicious circumstances by police officers. With the increased aggressiveness and militarization of law enforcement, there have been recent fears that America is degenerating into a police state. This trend seems to go against the general principle of living in the "Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave." These cops are going around with fear and loathing of their own people in their own communities. Cops have such a profound hatred and contempt of the common people that they're the ones who come across as unpatriotic. They hate Americans. They're constantly afraid and go around thinking that every honest citizen could have a gun ready to shoot them down, so the cops are trained to fire first solely out of fear.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member

Since I represent the company, it’s well within his rights to take disciplinary action.

I don’t, however, think it’s within his rights to make me “go live somewhere else.”

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Since I represent the company, it’s well within his rights to take disciplinary action.

I don’t, however, think it’s within his rights to make me “go live somewhere else.”

That makes absolutely no sense (no offence). However, it is within his rights to make you "go work somewhere else."

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
That makes absolutely no sense (no offence). However, it is within his rights to make you "go work somewhere else."

He can terminate my employment. He cannot make me “go work somewhere else.” :)

BSM1

What? Me worry?
He can terminate my employment. He cannot make me “go work somewhere else.” :)

No one ever made, or even said, that Copernick had to gp live somewhere else. You're just trying to cloud the issue. And even if someone did say that, would you be as quick to defend their right to free speech?

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
No one ever made, or even said, that Copernick had to gp live somewhere else. You're just trying to cloud the issue. And even if someone did say that, would you be as quick to defend their right to free speech?

Did you read the OP? It’s a direct response to what was said.

Cooky

Veteran Member

Is it proper to ask him why he doesn't go live somewhere else? And even suggest he does.......?

Just curious.