• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Phelps Verdict

Booko

Deviled Hen
And not this...

And the man that committeth adultery with another man's wife, even he that committeth adultery with his neighbour's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death. And the man that lieth with his father's wife hath uncovered his father's nakedness: both of them shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them. (Leviticus 20:10-11)

If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them (Leviticus 20:13).

And that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams, shall be put to death; because he hath spoken to turn you away from the LORD your God... (Deuteronomy 13: 5)

That's what comes of people taking things from the Torah without understanding how they were actually applied.

You could start with a Chumash I suppose, or just go over to Judaism and ask someone knowledgable there about these laws.

It was not like calling for the equivalent of lynchings, though you and others try to make it out that way.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
doppelgänger;985663 said:
He's pretty harsh in Matthew 23. Though the irony of what he is harsh about is almost certainly lost on the likes of Fred Phelps. Then again, it was lost on Catholic and Protestant Christianity in general for the better part of 2000 years, too.
As you said though, look who he is being harsh to. ;) Jesus wanted to abolish that kind of thinking that Phelps and company exhibit. And you're right about that passage being lost to Chistian religions, post Jesus.....but then again, I can't recall one system of beliefs that has a perfect track record.

LogDog

I look forward to your admission that you were dead wrong about Judaism, then.

It seems that even to this day, similar laws are being upheld and punishments are being carried out in regions of the middle east. Would you also defend their practice and suggest that I don't fully understand how they're actually applied and that it's wrong for me to be critical of them?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
This raises very interesting first amendment questions. Freedom of speech and religion, when the practice of those freedoms is abhorrent and reprehensible. You can easily imagine variations that highlight these problems. What if they said the same things, but from the pulpit? What if they preached them on a public corner? What if they only appear at gay people's funerals, not fallen soldiers? I see this going quite far on appeal.

Phelps et al. started out only bothering gay people. (At that point, only gay people objected; the general public didn't have much of a problem with it.) I wonder whether any of those families ever sued. If so, I wonder how that lawsuit turned out.

All very interesting, thanks for the news.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
btw, at least one gay organization used a brilliant strategy to defang Phelps. They solicited donations for each hour that Phelps picketed them. The support poured in, motivating the Phelps family to leave them alone.

LogDog

I look forward to your admission that you were dead wrong about Judaism, then.

I hope you're not holding your breath because until we can find someone who has an unbiased solution for interpreting the "word of god", it may be too late for you.

Booko

Deviled Hen
I hope you're not holding your breath because until we can find someone who has an unbiased solution for interpreting the "word of god", it may be too late for you.

One need not believe the Bible is the word of god to have some sense of history and literary interpretation.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
btw, at least one gay organization used a brilliant strategy to defang Phelps. They solicited donations for each hour that Phelps picketed them. The support poured in, motivating the Phelps family to leave them alone.
Don't forget about the Bikers that would rally to whever the Phelps clan were gathering, and rev their engines to drown out their hate-filled chants. :)

w00t

You talk of the Phelps family, are there any children involved in this hate campaign? If so the social services should remove them from this abusive environment!

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
You talk of the Phelps family, are there any children involved in this hate campaign? If so the social services should remove them from this abusive environment!
Yes, there are children involved. They are often seen holding up signs with hateful remarks towards homosexuals or whatever group their parents are targeting. I'm sure you could find some video footage of their antics on youtube. I'd provide you a link, but youtube is blocked form my work computer.

w00t

Yes, there are children involved. They are often seen holding up signs with hateful remarks towards homosexuals or whatever group their parents are targeting. I'm sure you could find some video footage of their antics on youtube. I'd provide you a link, but youtube is blocked form my work computer.

I don't access youtube! Isn't there anything social services can do to stop young minds being corrupted?

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
What a charmer! Some tidbits from the Wiki article about Fred follow . . .

Here's Phelps on our Jewish friends:

"Beware! ‘Jews killed the Lord Jesus, and their own prophets, and have persecuted us; and they please not God, and are contrary to all men; forbidding us to speak to the Gentiles that they might be saved, to fill up their sins always; for the wrath is come upon them to the uttermost.” 1 Thess. 2:14.’ Apostate **** & Jews certain to bring God’s wrath.”"
"Homosexuals and Jews dominated Nazi Germany...just as they now dominate this doomed U.S.A....The Jews now wander the earth despised, smitten with moral and spiritual blindness by a divine judicial stroke...And god has smitten Jews with a certain unique madness, whereby they are an astonishment of heart, a proverb, and a byword (the butt of jokes and ridicule) among all peoples whither the Lord has driven and scattered them...Jews, thus perverted, out of all proportion to their numbers energize the militant sodomite agenda...The American Jews are the real Nazis (misusers and abusers of governmental power) who hate God and the rule of law."
And both our Irish and Catholic friends won't find God's love if Phelps has anything to say about it:

"warned America about Ireland’s sad, sick, sodomite culture and *** Irish Senator David Norris’s case before the European Court of Human (i.e., ***) Rights. (Incidentally, the “Openly-Gay” *** Irish Senator Norris was represented before that Strasbourg European *** Court, by the famous Dyke-Enabler and Irish President, Mary Robinson.) We warned that WBC has had lots of experience with Ireland’s militant sodomite citizenry, steeped for many decades in ignorant, blind, idolatrous Catholicism, belching out their vile fagspeak, slander, and blasphemy against God and His Word – cursing WBC members as guests on Dublin talk-radio shows. Remember, Martin Luther said Catholic churches, seminaries and monasteries are nothing but sodomite whorehouses filled with unnatural brute beasts and devils. We warned that the very leprechauns of Ireland are likely to be ****!"
He's not big on patriotic symbolism (particularly at military funerals) either:

"Military funerals are pagan orgies of idolatrous blasphemy where they pray to the dunghill gods of Sodom and play taps to a fallen fool, they shall not lament for him, saying, Ah my brother! or, Ah sister! they shall not lament for him, saying, Ah lord! or, Ah his glory! He shall be buried with the burial of an ***, drawn and cast forth beyond the gates of Jerusalem."
Or anyone who lives in Minnesota, aka "The land of the sodomite damned." Is that their license plate slogan?

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
doppelgänger;986332 said:
What a charmer! Some tidbits from the Wiki article about Fred follow . . .

Here's Phelps on our Jewish friends:

And both our Irish and Catholic friends won't find God's love if Phelps has anything to say about it:

He's not big on patriotic symbolism (particularly at military funerals) either:

Or anyone who lives in Minnesota, aka "The land of the sodomite damned." Is that their license plate slogan?
The Phelps clan is proof that natural selection is false. Take that evolutionists. ;)

gnomon

Who cares!

Except for the ridiculous precedent it makes in allowing someone to sue another to the point of bankruptcy. It's not that I disagree with the suit in general but the damages awarded are, as they usually are in our sick society, absurd.

I'm sorry, I just can't engage in this idiotic circle jerk.