• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Place your bets folks

Which religion(s) do you find more likely?

• Total voters

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Time to play a little game called Pascal's Wager so listen up knuckleheads!

Many people debate the existence of god and ponder about it everyday. Personally I would rather debate the existence of the Santa Claus, darn nit I nee some new boots for the winter.

If you had to place some bets on a religion in case there is indeed a god what religion would that be?

Would you categorize these religions in an order from most likeliest to least?

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
Rather than likelihood, I would categorise them in reverse order of mercy and place my bet on the most horrible unforgiving one - because the nicer gods are more likely to ignore my lack of faith while the more vengeful ones are unlikely to do so. Therefore if an existing god is nice, even if I do not worship it my outcomes are likely to be better than if a god is mean. Conversely, if an existing god is mean then even if I believe in them I may not have a pleasant outcome, however chances are that it would be more pleasant than otherwise.

Pascal's wager -> find the worst god you can and pray to it in the hope that if it is real it doesnt make you scream for eternity.

Last edited:

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
In terms of literal mythology, they're all equally likely (i.e., not very.)

However, the universe is made up of several forces working in tandem with each other, no one being inherently more important than the other, and humans are just a small piece of that rather than being some "crown of creation". To me, polytheism reflects that more than any other type.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Hinduism, though that is still a very broad brush.

Basically: reincarnation, karma, a lot of gods, conectedness between everyone, capacity of humans to attain their divinity.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
In decreasing order of likelihood (sp?) - or practical worth, which for my purposes in this thread amounts to much the same:

Haruhiism
Taoism
Buddhism
Jainism
Hinduism
Paganism
Shintoism
Sikhism
Zoroastrianism
Baha'i Faith
Judaism
Christianity
Islam
Scientology
Candomblé
Thelema
"Osho" Rajneesh's "Dharma"
Kardecist Spiritism

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
In terms of literal mythology, they're all equally likely (i.e., not very.)

However, the universe is made up of several forces working in tandem with each other, no one being inherently more important than the other, and humans are just a small piece of that rather than being some "crown of creation". To me, polytheism reflects that more than any other type.
:D You just described Buddhism.

apophenia

In decreasing order of likelihood (sp?) - or practical worth, which for my purposes in this thread amounts to much the same:

Haruhiism
Taoism
Buddhism
Jainism
Hinduism
Paganism
Shintoism
Sikhism
Zoroastrianism
Baha'i Faith
Judaism
Christianity
Islam
Scientology
Candomblé
Thelema
Kardecist Spiritism

I can't believe you left out solipsism.

In your Heart of Hearts, you know ... You Are The Only One.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة

Haruhiism
Taoism
Buddhism
Jainism
Hinduism
Paganism
Shintoism
Sikhism
Zoroastrianism
Baha'i Faith
Judaism
Christianity
Islam
Scientology
Candomblé
Thelema
Kardecist Spiritism

I am not the only Haruhiist now it seems.

9954804433_89771b4528.jpg

Last edited:

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If you had to place some bets on a religion in case there is indeed a god what religion would that be?

Would you categorize these religions in an order from most likeliest to least?
Why would you limit it to only one? I choose all. I choose none.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
I put Hinduism, Buddhism, Paganism and "other".

"Other" are more philosophical/theological concepts, rather than religions. Such as Pan(en)theism, Deism, Transtheism, etc.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If you pick all then you must list them in order of likelihood.
Why? That's my question to you. Why is it a matter of "likelihood"? That presumes there is some fixed truth that you can find. What if it's not like that at all? Then your question misses the mark.