• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

poll: are you an ape?

are you an ape?

• Total voters

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Even we accept the belief that

Q1 ::= Are you an ape?​

can be answered "yes" or "no," we still have related meta-questions such as

IF​
Q1 ::= Are you an ape?​
Q2 ::= Are you inept?​
is the difference between Q1 and Q2​
  1. denotative,
  2. connotative, or
  3. grammatical?
I think not.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Huh?
The question was whether we were apes. The answer hinges on the definition of "ape."
I think of ape as a taxonomic category in biology. Are you using the term in a different sense?
That's the reason I went back to the family Hominidae, which is comonly called "the great apes." We are members of that family, and so we are apes. However, we are not chimpanzees or bonobos, nor are we gorillas or orangutans, although we are related to them.

Oddly, of the three subfamilies of Canidae, only 1 is still extant, the caninae (dogs), unlike the hominidae, of which there 8 extant species (including us).

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I am

Humans are apes

I am a human

Therefore I am an ape
I answered no, but probably not for the same reasons that Christians would answer no, since Baha'is believe that evolution is a fact. :D

While `Abdu'l-Bahá states that man progressed through many stages before reaching this present form, `Abdu'l-Bahá states that humans are a distinct species, and not an animal, and that in every stage of evolution through which humans progressed, they were potentially humans. Nov 8, 2022

Bahá'í Faith and Science | Encyclopedia MDPI

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
....living on the Planet of the Apes!

658fb800-995d-41ff-a06d-69be013ce6ec_text.gif

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I answered no, but probably not for the same reasons that Christians would answer no, since Baha'is believe that evolution is a fact. :D

While `Abdu'l-Bahá states that man progressed through many stages before reaching this present form, `Abdu'l-Bahá states that humans are a distinct species, and not an animal, and that in every stage of evolution through which humans progressed, they were potentially humans. Nov 8, 2022

Bahá'í Faith and Science | Encyclopedia MDPI

And what were Abdu'l-Bahá's credentials for making such a claim?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member

Many opinions

However, there is still a great deal of disagreement, even in the scientific community, about whether humans are considered apes. Many, as previously mentioned, consider this whole Hominoid group as apes. Other scientists still use the historical definition, to describe non-human primates.

Indeed, this is the most common in everyday usage for laypeople too. The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines an ape as “any of various large tailless semi-erect primates of Africa and southeastern Asia (such as the chimpanzee, gorilla, orangutan, or gibbon)”.
Some researchers argue that we are not apes but ex-apes because we are fundamentally different from other apes. These differences are due to the way we communicate and other things that are not visible just by looking at DNA. In this case, the word “ape” should mean something different than Hominoid.

Unfortunately, there isn’t a straightforward answer to the question of whether humans are apes or not. The most common consensus is that non-human primates are considered apes, but many biologists are increasingly designating humans as part of this simian clade.

Last edited:

Dan From Smithville

For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky
Staff member
Premium Member
Here is a video of a orangutan--King Louie--that wants to be a man. Not much as evidence, but funny. The idea of this is based on the fact that we are related.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Many opinions

However, there is still a great deal of disagreement, even in the scientific community, about whether humans are considered apes. Many, as previously mentioned, consider this whole Hominoid group as apes. Other scientists still use the historical definition, to describe non-human primates.

Indeed, this is the most common in everyday usage for laypeople too. The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines an ape as “any of various large tailless semi-erect primates of Africa and southeastern Asia (such as the chimpanzee, gorilla, orangutan, or gibbon)”.
Some researchers argue that we are not apes but ex-apes because we are fundamentally different from other apes. These differences are due to the way we communicate and other things that are not visible just by looking at DNA. In this case, the word “ape” should mean something different than Hominoid.

Unfortunately, there isn’t a straightforward answer to the question of whether humans are apes or not. The most common consensus is that non-human primates are considered apes, but many biologists are increasingly designating humans as part of this simian clade.

That is just giving the social and biological perceptions' constrast an exagerated -and unjustificated - significance.