• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

POLL: Trump/Biden/Etc.

Fewer to no more Trump/Biden/etc. threads?

• Total voters

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I don't know exactly how forums work on determining viewership and popularity , but I would think some forums would prove beneficial or detrimental based on the topic.

It seems political discourse would draw people in, but I agree it's not the central theme for people attracted to religious matters and would prove to be a turn off.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Would you like to see fewer to no more threads about this topic on RF?

I'm tired of it, many are, and @rocala has had issues and has documented them in his latest thread where he may opt to leave.

Would you prefer not to see such threads?

Does it detract from your RF experience?

I am afraid that not allowing topics concerning politics might make members leave too. The best balance is probably found in making the politics subforum either opt-in or opt-out, as someone said so already.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
You should have a What's New tab to click the down arow on.
uilhok.JPG

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
there is a Whats New link, but all it does is list the thread with the latest replies.
The New Posts link filters out the threads with a Remove Read Threads Filter.

View attachment 92687
That's brings up the same feed as the little lightening bolt icon in my toolbar. That's also the thread feed that can drive you silly seeing the same few in the top position over and over.

I'll scan that if my current participation feed is slow to see what new may have popped up that I might be interested in, but I almost always revert back to checking "Threads with your posts."

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Every day there’s numerous topics I’m not interested in. You know what I do? I keep scrolling. No big deal.
That's true. But still it would be nice to customize your interests by highlighting threads you enjoy and hiding the threads you don't enjoy so you don't ever see the ones you don't like ever again. Basically, a personal filter.

I don't know if you can do it with this type of forum, but I think it would be a amicable and fair solution to those who don't care to participate or even scroll through the proverbial garbage to get to something good.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

I'm tired of it, many are, and @rocala has had issues and has documented them in his latest thread where he may opt to leave.

I don't care - an alternative not presented in the poll.

I find it easy to skip threads I'm not interested in. Most of my time here is spent with online friends in a few joke threads and some other places such as where @JustGeorge is interviewing some of us.

If I'm tired of anything, it's people who will use every opportunity to post something often a repeat to other threads whether or not it's relevant to the OP. And that occurs in both religious and political threads.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
That's true. But still it would be nice to customize your interests by highlighting threads you enjoy and hiding the threads you don't enjoy so you don't ever see the ones you don't like ever again. Basically, a personal filter.

I don't know if you can do it with this type of forum, but I think it would be a amicable and fair solution to those who don't care to participate or even scroll through the proverbial garbage to get to something good.
That's a good thought but sadly given the lack of interest by the owners to actually do things that would make the site more enjoyable I doubt it will happen.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
It seems political discourse would draw people in, but I agree it's not the central theme for people attracted to religious matters and would prove to be a turn off.

Speaking of religious matters, I woke up this morning to a couple of NYT headlines:
  • Southern Baptists Vote to oppose I.V.F. as 'Fetal Personhood' Gains Momentum
  • The Southern Baptist Convention voted to reject stricter rules for women in pastoral roles.
Not to mention ...

Justice Samuel A. Alito Jr.’s wife, Martha-Ann, recently told a woman posing as a conservative supporter that she wanted to fly a Catholic flag at the couple’s Virginia home in response to a Pride flag in her neighborhood.​
“You know what I want?” the justice’s wife said to the woman, Lauren Windsor, who secretly recorded the conversation during a black-tie event last week at the Supreme Court. “I want a Sacred Heart of Jesus flag because I have to look across the lagoon at the Pride flag for the next month.” [source]​
I suspect that an apolitical religion forum would quickly prove sterile and sermonic.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Speaking of religious matters, I woke up this morning to a couple of NYT headlines:
  • Southern Baptists Vote to oppose I.V.F. as 'Fetal Personhood' Gains Momentum
  • The Southern Baptist Convention voted to reject stricter rules for women in pastoral roles.
Not to mention ...

Justice Samuel A. Alito Jr.’s wife, Martha-Ann, recently told a woman posing as a conservative supporter that she wanted to fly a Catholic flag at the couple’s Virginia home in response to a Pride flag in her neighborhood.​
“You know what I want?” the justice’s wife said to the woman, Lauren Windsor, who secretly recorded the conversation during a black-tie event last week at the Supreme Court. “I want a Sacred Heart of Jesus flag because I have to look across the lagoon at the Pride flag for the next month.” [source]​
I suspect that an apolitical religion forum would quickly prove sterile and sermonic.
Maybe less Biden and Trump and more like those and of course this: MAGA's Disturbing Transformation Into a Church, Trump Into Its Savior

Heyo

Veteran Member

I would like, like many here, to have the "newest threads" feature of the previous version back. There are ten times more threads I already dismissed in the list than "US politics" threads.
But since that has been one of the most wanted features over a year ago, I don't expect it ever to get fixed.
Dreaming of an extended filter for new threads is therefore even more futile.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
The joys of pursuing profit over functionality.
Like the counter with the ratings. For social media that has been dumping a poison in the well. It good for clicks and ratings though.
I have said we should return to Vbulletin. It's just not going to happen, though.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
I don't understand the options. Well I understand the 3rd option but not sure what answering yes or no means. I don't really care for the political threads but I see no harm if that's what others want to chat about.

libre

Skylark
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't think it's possible to have a non-political religious forum.
The personal is political, and Religious institutions are some of the oldest political actors that still exist.

I would however think it would be possible and desirable to reduce the number of low effort electoral punditry threads.