• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

pope made homophobic slur

libre

Skylark
Staff member
Premium Member
Unless you are part of the RCC, the Pope's views and RCC doctrine have nil effect on you at all.
I went to schools operated by the RCC wherein I was taught to hate myself in accordance with RCC doctrine.
I was also treated sadistically and abusively by those in positions of power using that doctrine as justification.

Suffice it to say that I do not appreciate being condescended to about how RCC doctrine affects me or will affect other queer youth.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
I went to schools operated by the RCC wherein I was taught to hate myself in accordance with RCC doctrine.
I was also treated sadistically and abusively by those in positions of power using that doctrine as justification.

Suffice it to say that I do not appreciate being condescended to about how RCC doctrine affects me or will affect other queer youth.
In other words, they just taught you Catholic doctrine.

They are not going to stop doing that.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
This is still the USA. Constitution still applies.

I don't believe sin exists. It's some vague ancient imaginary issue.
Wow, that you thought the Pope was referring just to the USA.

There are seminaries all over. The Pope cares about the seminarians not sinning.

That's it.

If you don't get that, that's a you problem.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
Are you for real right now?
If they abused you, that's not due to their religion. That's due to being abusive. Abusers justify themselves using religion, which is horrendous, but regular people, whether 'homophobic' or not, do not tend to be abusive just on that basis.

So this thread is not addressing that.

I'm sorry it happened.

Last edited:

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
Wow, that you thought the Pope was referring just to the USA.

There are seminaries all over. The Pope cares about the seminarians not sinning.

That's it.

If you don't get that, that's a you problem.
No. I was referring to how RCC doctrine can and has influenced current policy, all over the world, which includes the US. Outdated, baseless, hateful (Leviticus 18:22) unwanted doctrine.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
No. I was referring to how RCC doctrine can and has influenced current policy, all over the world, which includes the US. Outdated, baseless, hateful (Leviticus 18:22) unwanted doctrine.
Back to this.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
Is that what you think I'm doing? Calling people names just because I think they're wrong?
I mean, it seems like it.

I've made a point throughout this thread not to refer to you as a homophobe.
You have repeatedly used the word in various iterations which I believe are being misapplied. Calling my beliefs homophobic is the equivalent, when you said:

If you feel discomfort in discussing the Catholic Church's homophobia because you identify with their homophobic views and doctrines, some self-reflection is probably in order.

I took this as you calling me homophobic.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
You can't avoid that. And you won't address it either. The entire basis for the Bible's handling of homosexuality. It's sole reason.
I have addressed this.

It's not the Catholic Church, it's individual Catholics who are allowed their views.

The Vatican isn't going in and messing with courts and governments.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Yes, he's watching against illicit sex acts by which gay men may be tempted.

He's trying to prevent sin.

Implying heterosexual men aren't just as likely to be tempted... on what grounds?

Women are more likely to attend Church service.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
Implying heterosexual men aren't just as likely to be tempted... on what grounds?

Women are more likely to attend Church service.
In case you somehow aren't aware, Catholic seminaries are male only. This is what Francis was talking about.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I mean, it seems like it.

Generally, I reserve terms like "homophobe" for those who try to hurt or exclude others based on their views.

I don't call people names if all they do is personally disagree with something as long as they don't do anything to interfere with other people's lives.

You have repeatedly used the word in various iterations which I believe are being misapplied.

Which ones do you think are misapplied?

Calling my beliefs homophobic is the equivalent, when you said:

I took this as you calling me homophobic.

Are you trying to prevent LGBTQ people from living in peace? Are you trying to deny same-sex couples legal marriage rights? Are you trying to exclude gay men from an organization you lead or belong to?

The Catholic Church is doing all of these things.