• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

prayer...a few questions.

waitasec

Veteran Member
when one prays, don't they already know they want god's will :confused:
...so why pray?

does one have to pray to show god they want his will?
isn't that already determined by how one acts or approaches the situation rather then what one says in a prayer?

does god hold one to what they say in a prayer?

:shrug:

seems to me prayer is externalizing what is already internal...so i don't get it.
what is so important about externalizing what one feels internally to god...isn't it the same as externalizing the internal to oneself?

is god more concerned about appearances rather than substance?

thoughts, complaints or compliments :D

i edited for clarification...i hope.

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Huh? What does prayer have to do with the will of the gods? Prayer can simply be a form of devotional worship; a way of paying respects. Alternatively, it's a simple form of spellcraft that, depending on how it is done, either imposes YOUR will on the gods or respectfully requests their assistance.

As for externalizing the internal, on a psychological level, it acts as self-reinforcement. It draws your awareness to the issue and makes you more likely to take steps in the direction you deem proper for your goal.

Bob Dixon

>implying
Prayer, in actuality, is meant to be like a form of meditation. It's for us, not for God. Prayer isn't going to change anything on the outside. But, ideally, it should change something on the inside.

I know that may be kind of meaningless here, but... bear with me.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
...so why pray?

I've heard some people describe prayer as "meditation". By that, they do not seem to mean meditation in the Eastern sense of the term, but rather they seem to mean something along the lines of deep thought or contemplation. Regardless though of what they mean by it, they often enough claim that it helps them deal with life.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
seems to me prayer is externalizing what is already internal...so i don't get it.
what is so important about externalizing what one feels internally?
That is a very interesting way of putting it. So what's wrong with externalizing the internal?

waitasec

Veteran Member
Prayer, in actuality, is meant to be like a form of meditation. It's for us, not for God. Prayer isn't going to change anything on the outside. But, ideally, it should change something on the inside.

I know that may be kind of meaningless here, but... bear with me.
thanks.
but how is externalizing what you already know internally help you

waitasec

Veteran Member
fantôme profane;2912371 said:
That is a very interesting way of putting it. So what's wrong with externalizing the internal?

i didn't say it was wrong, i'm just trying to figure out the purpose of doing such a thing.

waitasec

Veteran Member
I've heard some people describe prayer as "meditation". By that, they do not seem to mean meditation in the Eastern sense of the term, but rather they seem to mean something along the lines of deep thought or contemplation. Regardless though of what they mean by it, they often enough claim that it helps them deal with life.

i can see that.
but in terms of speaking out loud to god...
for example.
"lord, i don't know what to do here,
show me the way"

how does saying that out loud to god do anything?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
i can see that.
but in terms of speaking out loud to god...
for example.
"lord, i don't know what to do here,
show me the way"

how does saying that out loud to god do anything?

Beats me. Except that I've read somewhere that the repetition of well known words -- such as the Lord's Prayer -- has a soothing or even a trance inducing effect on some people.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Huh? What does prayer have to do with the will of the gods? Prayer can simply be a form of devotional worship; a way of paying respects. Alternatively, it's a simple form of spellcraft that, depending on how it is done, either imposes YOUR will on the gods or respectfully requests their assistance.

As for externalizing the internal, on a psychological level, it acts as self-reinforcement. It draws your awareness to the issue and makes you more likely to take steps in the direction you deem proper for your goal.

indeed.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
i didn't say it was wrong, i'm just trying to figure out the purpose of doing such a thing.
Have you ever talked to yourself? Ever written poetry that you didn't intend anyone to read? I've done both.

I think it can be very useful to externalize, verbalize our internal thoughts and feelings. It helps to define and clarify, to organize etc.

waitasec

Veteran Member
fantôme profane;2912402 said:
Have you ever talked to yourself? Ever written poetry that you didn't intend anyone to read? I've done both.

I think it can be very useful to externalize, verbalize our internal thoughts and feelings. It helps to define and clarify, to organize etc.

i agree, i do it all the time.
as i said in the above post
is having a conversation with oneself the same as having a conversation with god?