• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

prayer...a few questions.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I am beginning to believe that a lot of people don't even know what prayer really is. It isn't reciting a Christmas list full of things we want. It isn't always just when we need something- such as when someone we love is ill or hurt or we are in the running for a job. It is simply talking to God, as a I said earlier. You can do it the way I do, just think about things that are happening or whatever- no one knows you're praying. Some people have compared to meditation in this thread, and that is kind of what it is.

There is formal prayer- usually done in groups, or by oneself at bedtime- that is mostly ceremony.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
when one prays, don't they already know they want god's will :confused:
...so why pray?

does one have to pray to show god they want his will?
isn't that already determined by how one acts or approaches the situation rather then what one says in a prayer?

does god hold one to what they say in a prayer?

:shrug:

seems to me prayer is externalizing what is already internal...so i don't get it.
what is so important about externalizing what one feels internally to god...isn't it the same as externalizing the internal to oneself?

is god more concerned about appearances rather than substance?

thoughts, complaints or compliments :D

i edited for clarification...i hope.

if you are close to someone, you talk to them and confide in them, you may ask for their help or support over a matter or may just want to talk to them because you like spending time with them.

Its the same with prayer to God. It is a form of communication that draws people close to God.

waitasec

Veteran Member
I am beginning to believe that a lot of people don't even know what prayer really is. It isn't reciting a Christmas list full of things we want. It isn't always just when we need something- such as when someone we love is ill or hurt or we are in the running for a job. It is simply talking to God, as a I said earlier. You can do it the way I do, just think about things that are happening or whatever- no one knows you're praying. Some people have compared to meditation in this thread, and that is kind of what it is.

There is formal prayer- usually done in groups, or by oneself at bedtime- that is mostly ceremony.

what is the point in ceremonial prayer?

waitasec

Veteran Member
if you are close to someone, you talk to them and confide in them, you may ask for their help or support over a matter or may just want to talk to them because you like spending time with them.

Its the same with prayer to God. It is a form of communication that draws people close to God.

i'd say it's a way to get people to get a better understanding of their self...and prayer isn't needed for that

A Troubled Man

Prayer is nothing but an excuse for believers to pretend they actually did something but have instead passed their burdens of responsibility onto a third party.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
i'd say it's a way to get people to get a better understanding of their self...and prayer isn't needed for that

imagine that god was very bad that he use instant threat to force us to pray,then he came to you one day and
say,"i ask you to pray as i had requested ,otherwise i will take now the soul
of your child which i had created and gave it to you by my power.

Honestly,will you listen to him at that moment,or you may say,i dont care,take my child,but i won't listen to you.

waitasec

Veteran Member
imagine that god was very bad that he use instant threat to force us to pray,then he came to you one day and
say,"i ask you to pray as i had requested ,otherwise i will take now the soul
of your child which i had created and gave it to you by my power.

Honestly,will you listen to him at that moment,or you may say,i dont care,take my child,but i won't listen to you.

the way i see it is like this...
it's not a matter of god coming to us but more of a state of mind that we return to ourselves...

from the moment we are born, the left side of our brain begins to develop a sense of self awareness for the sheer purpose of survival. this awareness needs to be curbed down at times because hyper tension, heart disease and stress are connected to our sense of self and the adrenal gland... embracing the right side of the brain is the state of mind i am referring to...

that isn't why god wants you to pray it seems...but it's why i meditate.

Last edited:

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
the way i see it is like this...
it's not a matter of god coming to us but more of a state of mind that we return to ourselves...

from the moment we are born, the left side of our brain begins to develop a sense of self awareness for the sheer purpose of survival. this awareness needs to be curbed down at times because hyper tension, heart disease and stress are connected to our sense of self and the adrenal gland... embracing the right side of the brain is the state of mind i am referring to...

that isn't why god wants you to pray it seems...but it's why i meditate.

Did you ask yourself why god asked us to fast,what a benefit he got by forcing
us to fast for one month,reduce food intake for a whole month.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Did you ask yourself why god asked us to fast,what a benefit he got by forcing
us to fast for one month,reduce food intake for a whole month.

:confused: i don't know where you are going with this
we fast everyday...
breakfast ends the cycle

Last edited:

waitasec

Veteran Member
i think long term fasts is a way to break people's will...

i once heard that cults deprive new recruits by denying them protein which can make one lethargic...

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
:confused: i don't know where you are going with this
we fast everyday...
breakfast starts the cycle

We know now that fasting is good for our health according to medical research,
so when god forced us to fast,then that is something which is good for us and
not to him,similar thing for praying that will not do anything for him,why we have to wash
our hands,face and legs 5 times a day,will god become clean when we wash ourselves,
i hope you did understand my point.

[fasting] during a certain number of days. But whoever of you is ill, or on a journey, [shall fast instead for the same] number of other days; and [in such cases] it is incumbent upon those who can afford it to make sacrifice by feeding a needy person. And whoever does more good than he is bound to do does good unto himself thereby; for to fast is to do good unto yourselves – if you but knew it. (2:184)

See that god at the end of verse telling us that fasting is good for us,if we could know.

waitasec

Veteran Member
We know now that fasting is good for our health according to medical research,
so when god forced us to fast,then that is something which is good for us and
not to him,similar thing for praying that will not do anything for him,why we have to wash
our hands,face and legs 5 times a day,will god become clean when we wash ourselves,
i hope you did understand my point.

[fasting] during a certain number of days. But whoever of you is ill, or on a journey, [shall fast instead for the same] number of other days; and [in such cases] it is incumbent upon those who can afford it to make sacrifice by feeding a needy person. And whoever does more good than he is bound to do does good unto himself thereby; for to fast is to do good unto yourselves – if you but knew it. (2:184)

See that god at the end of verse telling us that fasting is good for us,if we could know.

i don't know about long term fasting...
water fasts can be dangerous as the toxins in the body being released can cause adverse reactions...and what of those that have low blood sugar?

it's dangerous, not healthy.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
thats different...you mentioned long term fasting...

Search for fasting in Ramadan,drinking and eating are allowed from sunset till dawn.

And god made an exemption for the ill ones and for travellers.

i am just explaining my point,not asking you to fast :)

waitasec

Veteran Member
Search for fasting in Ramadan,drinking and eating are allowed from sunset till dawn.

And god made an exemption for the ill ones and for travellers.

i am just explaining my point,not asking you to fast :)

then our definition for fasting is not the same.

when i say fast i mean...no food for a period of time...you mentioned a month, that is a long time....but if during ramadan one can eat and drink from dusk til dawn, what is the difference between that and fasting through the night :shrug: