• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

prayer...a few questions.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
i agree, i do it all the time.
as i said in the above post
is having a conversation with oneself the same as having a conversation with god?

Don't you ever write grocery lists? I don't, but that question came up on RF and it seems as if a good portion, perhaps even the majority of people, do.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Don't you ever write grocery lists? I don't, but that question came up on RF and it seems as if a good portion, perhaps even the majority of people, do.

yes everyone talks to their self.
i'm trying to see what the difference is between prayer and talking to ones self.

punkdbass

I will be what I will be
waitasec said:
...seems to me prayer is externalizing what is already internal...so i don't get it.
what is so important about externalizing what one feels internally?

I think at a very basic level I agree with this. Prayer helps to bring about positive change(ideally). It directs one's soul/consciousness/awareness towards God and the greater good of humanity. I think by praying you stimulate consciousness towards good things, thus the probability of you actually doing those things increases.

If you don't externalize these things and keep it all inside, then it just becomes faith without works. To me, one externalizes what's inside by his acts, and good acts are obviously important.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I think at a very basic level I agree with this. Prayer helps to bring about positive change(ideally). It directs one's soul/consciousness/awareness towards God and the greater good of humanity. I think by praying you stimulate consciousness towards good things, thus the probability of you actually doing those things increases.

If you don't externalize these things and keep it all inside, then it just becomes faith without works. To me, one externalizes what's inside by his acts, and good acts are obviously important.

What is "works"? How does anyone know they're doing the "right" thing?

waitasec

Veteran Member

sort of like sleep walking?

F0uad

I think a simple question is god said we have to pray therefore we should pray, anyway we can even look this into with a scientific approach and say that praying is healthy.

Praying is also showing your devotion to god and communication with god (trying to reach him).

waitasec

Veteran Member
bottom line, if one keeps quiet to their self and stifles the thoughts that are inside...it ain't good...
change of heart can happen with or without prayer

waitasec

Veteran Member
I think a simple question is god said we have to pray therefore we should pray, anyway we can even look this into with a scientific approach and say that praying is healthy.

Praying is also showing your devotion to god and communication with god (trying to reach him).

that is what i was trying to get to in the OP
doesn't god already know the level of devotion one is in?
is god more concerned about appearances then substance?

punkdbass

I will be what I will be
sort of like sleep walking?

I don't know what you mean by that. The point I was trying to make is if internally you have all your beliefs/desires straight, but for whatever reason can't effectively translate them into to your actions(which many people have problems with) then prayer can help with this by stimulating consciousness of what's internal, and also helps those internal things to grow and develop as well.

F0uad

that is what i was trying to get to in the OP
doesn't god already know the level of devotion one is in?
is god more concerned about appearances then substance?

Yes god does know but does that change the fact you still have to choose? I belief in free-will.
The Appearance is the substance in my religion.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Never underestimate the power of prayer. When I was Pagan, we sent energy to folks in spiritual need. It was always a positive thing. When I had my operation last fall, people from all around the world sent me energy and prayers. I found it to be comforting.

Mostly I pray for others, some times I pray for strength or understanding. I have never thought of it as talking to myself however.

Many doctors who are not religious have seen positive results with their patients. It is kind of a last resort thing for them. Of course if you believe a sugar pill will heal you, that might work as well. The key thing here is belief for it to be beneficial.

Neil P

Never underestimate the power of prayer. When I was Pagan, we sent energy to folks in spiritual need. It was always a positive thing. When I had my operation last fall, people from all around the world sent me energy and prayers. I found it to be comforting.

Mostly I pray for others, some times I pray for strength or understanding. I have never thought of it as talking to myself however.

Many doctors who are not religious have seen positive results with their patients. It is kind of a last resort thing for them. Of course if you believe a sugar pill will heal you, that might work as well. The key thing here is belief for it to be beneficial.

Well said!