• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Praying - Is it necessary?

kadzbiz

Praying. I consider it to be a total waste of time and I'll tell you why. In my opinion, people pray because they can't or won't actaully do something to make the necessary change they long for. They feel that they can't contribute physically or financially to alleviate a problem, so they just pray. People pray also because they want to be seen praying. Prayers focus on the negative aspect of the request ie. "please God heal Johnny's cancer" but that just focuses on Johnny's cancer and the "Law of Attraction" simply continues to manifest Johnny's cancer. The whole concept of praying should be altered to be positive. The belief in God is irrelevant to the concept. One just needs to be grateful of the things in life, so simply thanking God would suffice. To have Johnny's cancer cured, Johnny himself and all those involved in his life need to not focus on the cancer, but focus on him being healthy and happy. Not just focus on it, but really believe that Johnny is well. The universe (God) will create what we focus on.

Okay, so I've not posted for a while and I had a few minutes to read and post today. I thought I'd create a contraversial thread. What's your thought on praying?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
For some people, prayer is a sort of meditation. Seems like it might then be a worthwhile one.

goraya15

hmm. Prayer in Islam is prescribed 5 times a day, with the biggest benefit of it being a cleanse for the soul. As we all know, cleanliness keeps us safe from disease and other nasty things. So, in the spirit of spritual hygiene....I would say yes:yes:

Ozzie

Kadzbiz, wasn't there a recent study that found no relationship between positive thinking and cancer cure rates? Prayer might be more beneficial if God does exist, or not? Maybe prayer helps to focus on options.

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
Kadzbiz, wasn't there a recent study that found no relationship between positive thinking and cancer cure rates?
That would be surprising. I would figure that positive thinking would at least as the same effect as a placebo. Or maybe they just compared positive thinking to a placebo rate.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
What's your thought on praying?
All that I can say is that I wouldn't tell someone praying was a waste of time....I could never decide that for someone else. As for me, I still pray occasionally but mostly it's a giving of thanks.....I just don't know who hears anymore. :)

Ozzie

That would be surprising. I would figure that positive thinking would at least as the same effect as a placebo. Or maybe they just compared positive thinking to a placebo rate.
Yes and I don't know how you can "manipulate" positive thinking in order to study it anyway. I don't believe the results of that study BTW.

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
Praying. I consider it to be a total waste of time and I'll tell you why. In my opinion, people pray because they can't or won't actaully do something to make the necessary change they long for. They feel that they can't contribute physically or financially to alleviate a problem, so they just pray. People pray also because they want to be seen praying. Prayers focus on the negative aspect of the request ie. "please God heal Johnny's cancer" but that just focuses on Johnny's cancer and the "Law of Attraction" simply continues to manifest Johnny's cancer. The whole concept of praying should be altered to be positive. The belief in God is irrelevant to the concept. One just needs to be grateful of the things in life, so simply thanking God would suffice. To have Johnny's cancer cured, Johnny himself and all those involved in his life need to not focus on the cancer, but focus on him being healthy and happy. Not just focus on it, but really believe that Johnny is well. The universe (God) will create what we focus on.

Okay, so I've not posted for a while and I had a few minutes to read and post today. I thought I'd create a contraversial thread. What's your thought on praying?
To some it is communion with their God in whom they feel God is talking to them as well.
It's interesting that many who have never prayed or believed in God, tend to pray or call on pastor's, priests, to pray for them, as well, many seem to look deeper into spiritual things when they are between a rock and hard place ,why is that.
Is it innate, is desperation, or is it those who do so ,have found themselves at the end of their strengths,capabilities and resources ,realising they are not in control.
That is a thread in itself,why do people call on God or spiritual things when faced with danger.

Prayer usually is useless to certain people I think, because they tend to look to themselves for their all surpassing abilities and strengths in dealing with certain issues.
It has been known to some to be a form of weakness and inability to go through things on their own,so those looking on,feel it is a cop out and point out to those who pray in denial and a failure to confront their own problems on their own.

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
Yes and I don't know how you can "manipulate" positive thinking in order to study it anyway. I don't believe the results of that study BTW.
Thats another thing I was thinking of. How do they make you think positively while still being ethical? But this is off topic.

nutshell

Praying. I consider it to be a total waste of time and I'll tell you why. In my opinion, people pray because they can't or won't actaully do something to make the necessary change they long for. They feel that they can't contribute physically or financially to alleviate a problem, so they just pray.

Logical fallacy. You assume prayer is a replacement to people doing all they can to "make the necessary change they long for." Actually, I find prayer to be useful in addition too doing all I can.

People pray also because they want to be seen praying. Prayers focus on the negative aspect of the request ie. "please God heal Johnny's cancer" but that just focuses on Johnny's cancer and the "Law of Attraction" simply continues to manifest Johnny's cancer.

If people are praying because they want to be seen then they are not praying as they are taught in the Bible. Prayer should be done "in the closet" so to speak.

"Please heal Johny's cancer" ???? You're forgetting a very important part: "Nevertheless, not my will, but thine will be done."

When people pray they need to be humble enough to recognize God is in charge and thy answer ay sometimes be "no."

The whole concept of praying should be altered to be positive.

I already find it positive. No alterations necessary. :)

The belief in God is irrelevant to the concept. One just needs to be grateful of the things in life, so simply thanking God would suffice. To have Johnny's cancer cured, Johnny himself and all those involved in his life need to not focus on the cancer, but focus on him being healthy and happy. Not just focus on it, but really believe that Johnny is well. The universe (God) will create what we focus on.

I believe you're talking about two different things here. To many of the religious, prayer is not about a state of mind. Rather, it is communion with God.

exl2398

Wonderer

People don't always pray, asking for things to be done because they don't want to do something for themselves. That happens, but it shouldn't be the main reason one prays. When I pray, for example, I thank God for what He has done for me and through me and ask Him for His continued grace and guidance. I also pray for that same grace and guidance to be extended to family and friends. But I don't pray because I think doing so makes me able to sit back and do nothing. If my mind and heart aren't in living each day for the cause - that is, for God - then the day is in vain, regardless of what positive/good things happen.

When I as a young teen I would pray not to have muscle cramps before bed (had muscle problems), and that my parents would be ok. I didn't thank God at all, just expected Him to hear me. It wasn't until I got older that I realized the true reason for prayer - giving thanks and being humble.

exl2398

Wonderer
I agree. I imagine that quite often prayer is one way to avoid taking responsibility for your life. It seems like people use god as a pitch hitter.
Pinch hitter. And those who pray to God only to justify to themselves their own laziness shall find themselves so judged by the one who they should really be justifying themselves to. That is the beauty of divine justice. Lazy belief doesn't get past God.

Bathsheba

**{{}}**
Pinch hitter. And those who pray to God only to justify to themselves their own laziness shall find themselves so judged by the one who they should really be justifying themselves to. That is the beauty of divine justice. Lazy belief doesn't get past God.

ick ... I'd hate to live in your head .... lazy, judged, lazy ???

someday you aren't going to meet your own standards because you are human, I hope you go easy on yourself, that is the beauty of loving kindness

exl2398

Wonderer
ick ... I'd hate to live in your head .... lazy, judged, lazy ???

someday you aren't going to meet your own standards because you are human, I hope you go easy on yourself, that is the beauty of loving kindness
Avoiding responsibility for one's actions is lazy, is it not? If you were God, would you let such selfish reasoning behind prayer fool you?

I haven't met my own standards many a time. What I do to correct that failure is what matters, not that I've failed. I don't dwell on the failure, I focus on fixing it. Fixing my misconceptions makes me grow as a person. Dwelling on my wrongdoings, instead, makes me a victim of myself. No need for that.

.lava

Veteran Member

imo;

1-God isnot your servant.
2-we are in a freewill zone. you might not get what you want if you didnot ask for it.
3-trying and working belong to us, yet success is ALWAYS given by God.

cardero

Citizen Mod
I don't pray, i talk to god.
This in essence, is what praying is. Though there really is no need for timely rituals or humble positions, sometimes a wandering mind can be a praying mind. Prayer is when someone impresses their thoughts upon the universe and as Sunstone pointed out it can also take the form of meditation.

I really enjoyed your statement penguino, it reminds me of something I would say. With the exception of my title TAUX2GOD which someday I would still like to apply to the back of a license plate, I have learned that what one wants to do is "talk with GOD". This implies that one is encouraging a two way conversation and is listening and anticipating a response.