• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

praying to...

waitasec

Veteran Member
That's your belief and you have a right to it, as I do to mine. With that, I'm off this Mobius strip.

it has nothing to do with belief...this has to do with the way things are.
prayer, imo...i'll give you that...gives one a sense of undue importance...
and why would anyone want to justify that to themselves? we are all in the same boat, aren't we?

confused453

Sometimes I wonder if prayer comes from ignorance.
"I don't know why my village got flooded, or destroyed by volcano eruption, and I'm extremely terrified. Therefore, I'll try to establish communication with whoever rules the water, or whoever rules the fire". 1000 years in the future: "The water and fire gods do not listen, and don't care about people. But I heard there's this single God who loves people and answers the prayers". The village gets destroyed again. And the answer given by the church (filthy rich) rulers. "Do not despair, god is only testing your faith"....

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
"I don't know why my village got flooded, or destroyed by volcano eruption, and I'm extremely terrified. Therefore, I'll try to establish communication with whoever rules the water, or whoever rules the fire". 1000 years in the future: "The water and fire gods do not listen, and don't care about people. But I heard there's this single God who loves people and answers the prayers". The village gets destroyed again. And the answer given by the church (filthy rich) rulers. "Do not despair, god is only testing your faith"....

Well, you've made it as far as the Middle Ages. . .

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
We see things differently than you. Two people are going to have a totally different outlook on the same events. Natural disasters happen- we just pick up the pieces and move on- whether we believe in God or don't believe in God. A theist's different belief is that God is there to help us rebuild and pick up the pieces . But, no matter if a person is a theist or atheist, life will go on.
I talk to God through prayer- that is it's purpose for me. I am repeating myself when saying that prayer will have different purposes for different people. :shout

waitasec

Veteran Member
We see things differently than you. Two people are going to have a totally different outlook on the same events. Natural disasters happen- we just pick up the pieces and move on- whether we believe in God or don't believe in God. A theist's different belief is that God is there to help us rebuild and pick up the pieces . But, no matter if a person is a theist or atheist, life will go on.

funny how that works.

I talk to God through prayer- that is it's purpose for me. I am repeating myself when saying that prayer will have different purposes for different people. :shout

imo, prayer is a chance to reflect...
even non theists reflect.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Because I would sense it. And others would confirm it.

If you're strapped to a hospital bed in a state of delirium, or if you're in a coma, how would you "sense it", and what "others" would there be to confirm it?

confused453

If you're strapped to a hospital bed in a state of delirium, or if you're in a coma, how would you "sense it", and what "others" would there be to confirm it?

I don't see a reason to care, since I don't have a way to verify your claim. And if this is true, then you are not a real person, and just a fragment of my imagination.

nelson-haha.gif

Last edited:

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't see a reason to care, since I don't have a way to verify your claim. And if this is true, then you are not a real person, and just a fragment of my imagination.

nelson-haha.gif

Of course I'm just a fragment of your imagination. I mean, duh. Look around you: does any of this really make sense to you?

Take the "internet" for instance, I mean, come on: "Hi! We're going to take everything in the world and turn it into light beams that we can shoot out into space where they'll just happen to bounce offa these big shiny metal things that just kind of hang there in mid air, and then these beams of light will ricochet offa these metal things and somehow wind up landing inside these boxes on peoples desks that'll turn them back into pictures, and music, and words where everybody in the world has complete control over them and can watch/listen/read them all at the same time".

I mean, really now. Where did you come up with that one? And why did you call it the "internet"?

I'm embarrassed to be one of your fragments.

confused453

Of course
I mean, really now. Where did you come up with that one? And why did you call it the "internet"?
I'm embarrassed to be one of your fragments.

This only proves that this world is real and I'm real, and you're real. Because I never created any of that stuff. It all comes down to evolution of civilization. Some of us refuse the change, some accept it. What are you going to say when extraterrestrials arrive with their ideas and dogmas, and when humans will be able to genetically modify their bodies as they see fit? I think it's only a matter of time :D

Last edited: