• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Proof of evolution -at last-

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I would retort that there is no impossibility. Then assert proper interpretations are only proper if they are properly subjective.
But then, I think reverence should be properly subjective as well. Your relationship with Godship if you choose to have one, is YOURS and subjectively yours alone.
(In my exaggerative use of 'subjective' what's meant is 'alone or secretly' as well as 'in the fashion your heart tells you'.)

Go not inside a manmade structure and shut Spirit out from nature!
Boast naught of your relationship with Spirit, rather rejoice in it and let your joy rebound!

You are still presenting one of many diverse, conflicting, contradictory highly subjective interpretations not based on any objective evidence whatsoever.

As far as reality you have no more basis for your assertions than any other conflicting subjective interpretations.

Subjective - Of the mind only.

Last edited:
Ah, another area where you claim to know more than the experts. You must be some kind of genius!
The study I’ve done about Scripture there are 2 sides presented for example who is the writer, when was this book written and the 2 views give their reasons. They say some scholars believe this or that so they don’t know.
I can read, understand and apply Scripture myself and do so by the Spirit of God, it’s our family book so yes I’m an expert not a genius. I continue to study so I can rightly apply and understand Scripture. I keep sharpening my Sword.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
The study I’ve done about Scripture there are 2 sides presented for example who is the writer, when was this book written and the 2 views give their reasons. They say some scholars believe this or that so they don’t know.
I can read, understand and apply Scripture myself and do so by the Spirit of God, it’s our family book so yes I’m an expert not a genius. I continue to study so I can rightly apply and understand Scripture. I keep sharpening my Sword.
So you read and understand Hebrew, Aramaic and Koine Greek? You've spent the time obtaining the required education as a Biblical scholar/textual critic?
If you can't or haven't done those things, on what basis can you call yourself a scholar or an expert??
Your views don't jibe with those of the experts, so we should discard all of their hard work and just go with what you think? Seriously?

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Ok I see that so in the context of that Psalm why are they happy?
Here's the whole thing for ya:

Psalm 137
1 By the rivers of Babylon we sat and wept
when we remembered Zion.
2 There on the poplars
we hung our harps,
3 for there our captors asked us for songs,
our tormentors demanded songs of joy;
they said, “Sing us one of the songs of Zion!”

4 How can we sing the songs of the Lord
while in a foreign land?
5 If I forget you, Jerusalem,
may my right hand forget its skill.
6 May my tongue cling to the roof of my mouth
if I do not remember you,
if I do not consider Jerusalem
my highest joy.

7 Remember, Lord, what the Edomites did
on the day Jerusalem fell.
“Tear it down,” they cried,
“tear it down to its foundations!”
8 Daughter Babylon, doomed to destruction,
happy is the one who repays you
according to what you have done to us.
9 Happy is the one who seizes your infants
and dashes them against the rocks.

So you read and understand Hebrew, Aramaic and Koine Greek? You've spent the time obtaining the required education as a Biblical scholar/textual critic?
If you can't or haven't done those things, on what basis can you call yourself a scholar or an expert??
Your views don't jibe with those of the experts, so we should discard all of their hard work and just go with what you think? Seriously?
There are concordance and dictionaries that explain what the words mean, you know scholars are human beings like you and I, the prerequisite for proper biblical interpretation, which is the point for biblical hermeneutics, to answer the question, what does God mean by what He said in this text is that a person be born again/filled with the Holy Spirit/the Spirit of Truth.
Why would you disqualify yourself as you have with your comment.
As for me yes God considers me an expert and have all I need for proper understanding and application of Scripture.

Here's the whole thing for ya:

Psalm 137
1 By the rivers of Babylon we sat and wept
when we remembered Zion.
2 There on the poplars
we hung our harps,
3 for there our captors asked us for songs,
our tormentors demanded songs of joy;
they said, “Sing us one of the songs of Zion!”

4 How can we sing the songs of the Lord
while in a foreign land?
5 If I forget you, Jerusalem,
may my right hand forget its skill.
6 May my tongue cling to the roof of my mouth
if I do not remember you,
if I do not consider Jerusalem
my highest joy.

7 Remember, Lord, what the Edomites did
on the day Jerusalem fell.
“Tear it down,” they cried,
“tear it down to its foundations!”
8 Daughter Babylon, doomed to destruction,
happy is the one who repays you
according to what you have done to us.
9 Happy is the one who seizes your infants
and dashes them against the rocks.
Thanks for posting this whole Psalm but that’s not the answer to the question I asked you, are you able to share your thoughts or no?

I find this funny considering the scholars and experts of the law constantly mis-interpreted Scripture. Jesus was constantly correcting their errors, they were so jealous and prideful their answer was either to try to trap Him in his words or kill Him.
Why would you have the same line of reasoning or thoughts, are you like them too?

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
There are concordance and dictionaries that explain what the words mean, you know scholars are human beings like you and I, the prerequisite for proper biblical interpretation, which is the point for biblical hermeneutics, to answer the question, what does God mean by what He said in this text is that a person be born again/filled with the Holy Spirit/the Spirit of Truth.
Why would you disqualify yourself as you have with your comment.
As for me yes God considers me an expert and have all I need for proper understanding and application of Scripture.
God considers you an expert? How can you demonstrate such a bold claim as that?

So you don't have the same skills and abilities as the actual experts. Thanks for clarifying that.

God considers you an expert? How can you demonstrate such a bold claim as that?

So you don't have the same skills and abilities as the actual experts. Thanks for clarifying that.
More skills and a better teacher than they have if those scholars aren’t born again. I wouldn’t say this in a prideful way because God gave me this ability, I didn’t get it on my own.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I find this funny considering the scholars and experts of the law constantly mis-interpreted Scripture. Jesus was constantly correcting their errors, they were so jealous and prideful their answer was either to try to trap Him in his words or kill Him.
Why would you have the same line of reasoning or thoughts, are you like them too?
Jesus was constantly correcting the errors of Biblical scholars and experts? What on earth are you talking about?

No it didn't. A few people did and the popular magazines of the day sensationalized it.
Which is why you should stick to scientific literature when it comes to scientific claims.
You can go back and look for yourself and see. Read the articles but yeah they sure did put a scare just like they continue to do today.

F1fan

Veteran Member
My Dad was an alcoholic and a drug addict for most of his life . My uncle got him involved at his "born again" church, trying to "save" him and all that.
What happened to my dad was that he didn't get the help he needed, and he ended up feeling terrible about himself and thought he was going to rot in hell while the rest of his family was up in heaven. He died feeling this way and there's not a day that goes by that I don't wish he hadn't gotten involved in that terrible church.
Some churches and activism has learned how to exploit people in crisis to get them to align to their religious beliefs. The odd thing is that the more rigid and certain the set of religious concepts the more attractive it can be to those who lack self-discipline. They end up killing their lives devoted and committed to God, not themselves. The God is viewed as worthy, the self as 'worthless rags' that can only be valuable in God's good grace. So it becomes an emotional identity trap. Once a person is emotionally dependent, they lack the courage to be independent so have no real option to separate themselves from a church. This is essentially a cult.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Some churches and activism has learned how to exploit people in crisis to get them to align to their religious beliefs. The odd thing is that the more rigid and certain the set of religious concepts the more attractive it can be to those who lack self-discipline. They end up killing their lives devoted and committed to God, not themselves. The God is viewed as worthy, the self as 'worthless rags' that can only be valuable in God's good grace. So it becomes an emotional identity trap. Once a person is emotionally dependent, they lack the courage to be independent so have no real option to separate themselves from a church. This is essentially a cult.
Sounds about right to me, unfortunately.